My friend wants to get rid of his five thousand strong vinyl collections (mostly classical/ orchestral music)
Dec 4, 2010 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

transient orca

100+ Head-Fier
I started to volunteer at the University of Guelph's campus community radio station this semester and had the privilege to work with Michael Doleshell, the host of a classical music show called Sound Magic. I was chatting with him today and he told me that he was desperately trying to get rid of his vinyl collections which he no longer had room to store. He was an avid collector of vinyls, but he quickly switched over to CDs when they become available. He thinks CDs are in every way superior and now the vinyls are just lying around cluttering up his space. Because the quantity and bulk of the collections, it's expensive and extremely inconvenient for him to transport them.

He said that if people would just come to his place and pick what they like, he'd be willing to give most of them away. The hassle of properly storing them is just too much. I told him that there are plenty of people in places like here who crave for good vinyls, so he gave me permission to post a message here and hopefully find some interest. he lives close to Highway 401 south of Guelph, Ontario, very accessible to people in the GTA and Kitchener/ Waterloo area. Even for those who live in southern Ontario, southeastern Michigan, and Buffalo area, it can be easily done as a day trip.  If anybody happens to be interested, just PM me and I will give you his email address.

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Does it have to be local pickup only? No shipping? I think you'll get lots of demand outside of Canada.

He might agree to mail things out in a few cases (cost covered by receiver), but getting rid everything this way is just too much work for him. 

I should be clear that all I am doing here is to help him get in touch with more vinyl fans. How the records would be given away or sold is absolutely at his discretion.

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Wow, what a generous offer. Too bad he is so far away. If he were closer, I'd take a few of those and leave some cash at his place. Hopefully, the vinyl will find loving homes.

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Here is a more accurate description of what he has:

"...ALL classical and range from mediaeval to ultra modern with a specialization on out of the way composers and styles, in many cases unique pressings from small companies, European and American, in clean copies. I never admitted scratches of any kind into the collection."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back