My friend is looking for a CAN that does noise isolation really well
Mar 17, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #16 of 20
Honestly, if sound isolation is the most important consideration (on the level of "when people talk, and you're playing low music, you won't hear it"), and it has to go around the ear, and the budget is just $50, then I think what your friend needs are Peltor "earmuff" style hearing protectors ($20), with earbuds or something inside them when music's wanted.

(Honestly. I'm not saying that to be annoying. I really think that's the direction to go if isolation is that important and the budget is just $50.)

Don't like that option? Here are the alternatives I'd suggest if one or more of the constraints were relaxed:

On-ear, not around-ear, and not so much isolation: ATH-FC7 headphones, $36 at Bluetin.com. Vastly more isolation than AKG K 26 P or Senn PX200. Still not as much isolation as you really want, but definitely a useful amount.

In-ear, not around-ear, and not so much isolation: Sony EX71 or EX81. They're soft and don't go very far into your ear, so comfort's really not a problem. $20 or $30 or so. Roughly similar isolation to the ATH-FC7.

Over $50, better (but not ideal) isolation: Sennheiser HD280. The most isolation of any closed circumaural headphone I've tried. About $100, though if your friend can shop around for a used pair, who knows?

Over $50, in-ear: IEMs will provide better isolation than HD280's. Around the $100 mark, several are available: Shure E2C, Etymotic ER-6 or ER-6i, Altec Lansic iM716 or iM616. Shop around and a bargain is bound to turn up on one of these.

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #17 of 20
I just wanted to add support for the K26P. I actually get MUCH more isolation from these than from the FC7's, although the FC7's definitely osund better than the K26P. But if isolation is the first priority, then get the K26P. (I also found the FC7's really uncomfortable after about an hour - it must be how they fit my ears.) The K26P also is kinda clampy at first, but they have loosened up over time and are now very comfortable.

I've also heard the K26P isolates much more than the Px200, although I haven't heard those.

Edit: The K26P's provide enough isolation for me on plane trips, bus rides, studying in coffeeshops, etc. I have missed many phone calls while wearing them.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse40902
Damnit....I cant even hide this...I guess some of us here knows how headphone addictions can be.....

LOL!

My sincere suggestion is this: BOSE TRIPORTS

As long as you (woops) I meant your friend, has cash lying around waiting to be burnt, then the Bose Triports will be perfect.

They are extremely comfortable and isolate very well (when you're listening). The sound is nothing special. You did indicate that sound quality wasn't too important!

Mar 17, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch

In-ear, not around-ear, and not so much isolation: Sony EX71 or EX81. They're soft and don't go very far into your ear, so comfort's really not a problem. $20 or $30 or so. Roughly similar isolation to the ATH-FC7.

Very nice list episiarch.

Just to add to this <$50 in-ear category:
The FOTM here seems to be the Sennheiser CX 300, $40-69 seemingly depending on the day of the week at Amazon
biggrin.gif
; the very similar Creative EP-630 for $26, also at Amazon. As mentioned, these are canal phones, which seal off the ear canal, not really IEMs that go deeper into the ear canal, and afford slightly better isolation. They utilize dynamic drivers as opposed to the more expensive (& tiny) balanced armature types found in the higher priced IEMs.

Good luck!

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #20 of 20
There are active noise cancellation phones, as milkpowder suggests, and there are passive noise isolation Inner Ear Monitors. Both have pluses and minuses and may better cancel out or isolate different frequencies more efficiently.

As for the IEMs, just take a look at the Ear Plug Store (one of the Head-Fi sponsers listed at the top of the page). You will see that many of these earplugs, used in high noise environments such as construction sites, are very similar if not identical to the ear tips of many popular IEMs. They fit deep in the ear and isolate quite well. IMHO, you can get very good isolation, and very good sound quality from many of these IEMs. Why settle for isolation alone? They may also be more balanced in attenuating frequencies across the spectrum than an active device.

IEMs are generally balanced armature devices. These transducers are very small, and very fast. Exceptions are the Shure E2s, and the bass unit of the dual driver UE Super.fi EB (super bass!), which utilize dynamic drivers. The other dynamic driver units, as stated in a previous post, are generally canal phones. They are too large to stick deep in your ear, but sit on the entrance of the ear canal and seal it off. These have a less isolation than the IEMs, but are also less expensive.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back