my first visit to a REAL Hi-Fi store
Dec 15, 2011 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jallen89

100+ Head-Fier
i've been occasionally posting on this forum for a while now.
like a lot of people my first headphones were the studio beats. i loved them (i was used to ibuds at that time). i am a massive dre fan :)
i found out about head-fi and i couldn't understand all the hate on beats. i found a second hand pair of ad-700 for $60, oh my god i couldn't believe it, the SQ killed the beats! well from then i brought beyer 770, dt250, xb700, MS1, portapros, dt990, hd 598, k701 and finally pro 900s. yes i am officially addicted to headphones 
L3000.gif

i had never heard these phones before buying. i recently found out about addicted-to-audio in kew, melbourne. when i walked in i couldn't believe my eyes! hd 800, edition 10s, w5000s, LCD2 just sitting there. none of my friends are into audio so I've not really spoken to people about headphones till now. the guys at ATA were very helpful. i tried out several phones, had a chat, i now have m50s and pro 900s on order. head-fi is sending me broke 
confused_face.gif
 but its worth it!
anyone got any stories the first time you walked into a real hi-fi store? for me it was like being a kid again walking into toys-r-us for the first time 
regular_smile .gif

i'm sorry if i posted it in the wrong sub-forum, this is the one i browse the most.

Jesse

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
i've been occasionally posting on this forum for a while now.
like a lot of people my first headphones were the studio beats. i loved them (i was used to ibuds at that time). i am a massive dre fan :)
i found out about head-fi and i couldn't understand all the hate on beats. i found a second hand pair of ad-700 for $60, oh my god i couldn't believe it, the SQ killed the beats! well from then i brought beyer 770, dt250, xb700, MS1, portapros, dt990, hd 

Wow, what a jump on sound quality..but anyways the positive thing is that you are into "Real" headphones now. Your journey just begins. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 8
I really wish there were a store around me with truly high-end headphones and equipment.  The best I've found around me is the low-mid grado series, some Q701s, and an HD650...

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 8
Anyone know of any good stores that let you demo headphones in Boston or the New England area? I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.

That is one of the biggest problems with high-end headphones is that I have not been able to find a store in which I can demo Ultrasones, Senns, Grados, Beyers, and other headphones.

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Anyone know of any good stores that let you demo headphones in Boston or the New England area? I tried searching, but couldn't find anything.

That is one of the biggest problems with high-end headphones is that I have not been able to find a store in which I can demo Ultrasones, Senns, Grados, Beyers, and other headphones.

The Natural Sound in Framingham has HD650s that you can try out- I think they had grados as well.  Directly on RT 9 west bound a mile or two past the Nattick mall, just after the underpass.  You might also call Goodwin's High End in Waltham, they might have some demo pairs- fantastic store.  Prices will likely be close to retail though.  RazorDogDeals.com is where I got my HD650s, bought them sight unseen (of course lol)- service was great, shipped the next day.  Very happy 
dt880smile.png

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 8
I wish there was a store close to me so I could test out some of the top headphones I think I'd really only be interested in hearing an LCD-2, HD800,  ED10 etc

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 8
No stores within hundreds of miles of here at least...

There's only one high-end audio store that I can get to without needing multiple tank fulls of gasoline, and they have never had headphones and have recently pretty much sold out to multi-channel home theater audio instead of music-biased two-channel high-end audio...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back