My first vinyl setup...a little help?
Jun 30, 2009 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

KayoDot

100+ Head-Fier
I'm venturing in to vinyl for the first time, and am having a little trouble deciding what would be the best route to take. Thus far, I have narrowed it down to one of two choices:

Rega P1 -> Cambridge Audio 540P phono preamp -> Audioengine A2s

Pro-ject Debut III Phono SB -> Audioengine A2s

The speakers are active, so I believe I do not need an amp between themselves and the preamp.

The Pro-Ject has a built in speedbox and phonostage preamp. This is where the decision lies really. Does this provide better value for money compared to the Rega setup? The first setup lacks a speedbox, whereas the second lacks a dedicated phono preamp.

I am struggling to find any reviews of the Pro-ject turntable, as this particular iteration is only available to the European market. I am unsure of the quality of the built in phono preamp and speedbox, although I assume that they are not too dissimilar to Pro-Ject's own Speedbox and Phono-Box.

This setup will purely be for sitting back and listening to some vinyl. I do not want to exceed £400 for the whole thing, any advice/changes to be made would be great.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 12
Would you consider buying used gear? I much prefer the Rega P3/Planar 3 to the P1. A used Planar 3 costs about the same as a new P1, and I don't think you lose anything buying used. Regas are dead simple and almost never break down. Most used ones are being sold to fund upgrades, not because they're troublesome.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 12
I have considered it...although I don't want any trouble with used gear. I'd much rather have a 'plug and play' experience. One of reasons I've chosen either the Rega or Pro-Ject is because they come factory aligned, I'd quite like the minimum of hassle. You may be able to convince me otherwise!

and thank you nkd! That's a very helpful piece of information.

These are the specifications of the built in phono preamp:

Quote:

Noise floor: 88dB
THD:0,005%
Input impedance: 47kohms/100pF
Power consumption: 16v/40mA AC
Gain: 32dB
Output voltage: 160mV/1kHz at 4mV/1kHz
RIAA equalisation curve accuracy: >0,5dB/20Hz - 20kHz

I have no idea what any of that means... good or bad :p?

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 12
You may want to take a look at this review: Inexpensive Audiophile Turntables: The Rega P1 and Pro-ject Debut III

The specs you listed look decent enough. Sometimes you need to worry about the gain and the overload limits matching your cartridge, but that's the nice thing about a factory deal as they should be able to make sure there will be no compatibility issues. Given that this is your first setup and you want it to be plug and play, it sounds like the Project is a winner.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by KayoDot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rega P1 -> Cambridge Audio 540P phono preamp -> Audioengine A2s

Pro-ject Debut III Phono SB -> Audioengine A2s

Having owned and played a P1 for 4 months, I'm a believer in UE's advice on a used P3. As far as I know the cartridge and needle on the two you list are identical, and it's not a good tracker. Sibilance can probably be remedied as well with just a better needle; weighing in that cost you should find a used P3 with a cartridge and needle in decent shape. At worst you may have to replace a dried out belt, which is neither expensive nor difficult in the slightest. I don't know too much about TT's but with these Rega it doesn't seem like there's much to know anyway.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Do you really think I can find a used P3 for that price? I can get the P1 for about £180, and the Pro-Ject with phono preamp + speedbox for £265.

If I get a P3, the separate preamp will be needed, which is about £80... so ideally I'm looking to get a P3 for no more than £200. Is that realistic?

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 12
Jul 1, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for the link memepool, I am actually watching it on eBay at the moment.

Is the Planar 3 quite an old model? I don't want the table to give me any trouble, like I said before, I'd like to be able to just plug it in, and listen to records when I want to with the minimum of fuss.

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 12
i had a planar2 for years and had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever.
im sure i got a £120 for it,so they hold a good price if selling on

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by KayoDot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link memepool, I am actually watching it on eBay at the moment.

Is the Planar 3 quite an old model? I don't want the table to give me any trouble, like I said before, I'd like to be able to just plug it in, and listen to records when I want to with the minimum of fuss.

It's been around almost unchanged since the early '80s, and an old Planar 3 / P3 will be better than a new P1 I would say.

It's an idiot proof turntable with nothing much to go wrong. I know lots of people who have had one for 20 years or more without issue.

Given what you say above about wanting 'plug and play' then this is exactly the kind of thing you will be comfortable with.

You could probably do better 2nd hand for that much money if you were willing to get into tweakery and renovations but that's not everyone's cup of tea obviously. In fact a lot of people never bother to upgrade to anything else as these are brilliant for what they are, which is why they've endured so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back