My first Vinyl eargasm!
Mar 9, 2007 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

werdwerdus

500+ Head-Fier
Just bought a few LPs yesterday and today, and my dad's friend gave me his turntable to use. The eargasm was achieved by playing the album Permanent Waves by Rush. As soon as "The Spirit Of Radio" started I was just smiling bigtime
biggrin.gif
. And then when Geddy started singing I was like, "Wow I think I'm having an eargasm... oh yeah.. oh oh oh." I Definitely think I'm a vinyl junkie after one listen and one day
tongue.gif

My audio chain isn't too impressive but I really like what I'm hearing:
Gerrard 1211 (turntable), Audio Technica T4P (pretty sure that's the cartridge model), Sansui G-5500 stereo receiver (phono stage), tape out to Corda HeadFive (headamp), Grado SR-60 (cans, hehe).

I think I really need to get a better TT though, since this one isn't keeping a constant speed very well, the platter isn't perfectly flat, and the tonearm is quite loose. But for now I'm enjoying the sound of analog for basically the first time ever (I'm 19... I've been sheltered I guess
tongue.gif
). [edit] My queue of vinyl that I own, albeit very small, has me pretty excited: Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells, Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge, Alan Parsons - I Robot, Alan Parsons - Eye In the Sky. Also coming are two Van Halens, two ELPs, and a Black Sabbath I purchased on eBay. I'm pretty stoked to say the least!

Thank you Head-Fi for all the help directly and indirectly. Here I go down the rabbit hole, hopefully I can respect my budget (I really need to)!

Keep 'em spinnin',
Drew

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 20
I can promise you that side one of Alan Parsons Project's I Robot on vinyl will get your mojo workin'
icon10.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 20
Mike Oldfield sounds at his best of good condition vinyl. If you can get an early pressing of the Hergest Ridge then youll have the original mix, before it was butchered for the SQ Quad remix, which appeared on all subsequent LPs and CDs.

I had an eargasm earlier this afternoon with Tubular Bells side 2 from the Boxed.

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 20
Louis Armstrong's St. James Infirmary (Classic records, 45rpm) was a revelation to me. The man was in the room. This was on first rate electronics at a shop however.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mike Oldfield sounds at his best of good condition vinyl. If you can get an early pressing of the Hergest Ridge then youll have the original mix, before it was butchered for the SQ Quad remix, which appeared on all subsequent LPs and CDs.

I had an eargasm earlier this afternoon with Tubular Bells side 2 from the Boxed.

I must have only heard the SQ Quad remix. My least favorite Oldfield album of the first 10 or so. I had it as both the single LP and the boxed set.

Aug 29, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Definitely think I'm a vinyl junkie after one listen and one day
tongue.gif

I'm so happy to see someone your age both enjoying Alan Parsons and vinyl. You've made my day. I agree with Skylab that you will get a headrush with side 1 of Alan Parsons. It's very cool. So much good vinyl out there. And never apologize for what you do or don't have. We're all on out own audio journey, so enjoy what you've got and remember there's always tweaks and changes you can make to get you even closer to the music. Good job!

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gliding Dutchman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the world of Vinyl!!

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #10 of 20
I had my first vinyl eargasm today.... I dont think I can ever go back now. I was looking for furniture for my apartment in my parents basement and i found a technics sl1500 player and about 300 records. Me and my dad have amazingly similar taste in music so almost all of them are good . I just got done listening to zz top eliminator and it was amazing. Now I have shades of deep purple on and it is rocking my world.

He graduated highschool in 1968 so his collection has all the classics of the time.

Vinyl really does sound better!!!! I am amazed. The guitar in almost every record that I have listened to sounds better than the cd version. This might just be a major placeabo though.

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #11 of 20
AWESOME! I just found another great thread on this board!

Enjoy the journey. The large, luxurious format with gatefold LP jackets, colored vinyl (in some cases), inserted posters and all kinds of other clever packaging is such a bonus to the aural treat within the grooves.
Just be sure to get the platter as level as you can and balance your arm and adjust the counter weight to get the tracking right. As soon as you can, have the cartridge alignment checked so as to insure proper tracking and so you won't harm the records that you play on your 'table. Don't worry that the 'table isn't state of the art. It doesn't have to be to sound good.

Welcome to the machine...

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by itripalot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vinyl really does sound better!!!! I am amazed. The guitar in almost every record that I have listened to sounds better than the cd version. This might just be a major placeabo though.

It's the missing bits taken out of the analog sound that makes digital sound lifeless at times. And to top it off: the Technics 1500 is a good TT.

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by itripalot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I got a technics sl1200 from my buddy with a shure dj cartrige and it is great.

Get a better cartridge. You ain't heard anything yet from your set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back