My first Vinyl eargasm!
Dec 9, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #16 of 20
If you like the eargasm from the Rush album try a virgin needle drop
of the Japanese 200g Steely Dan-Aja lp.

Another one that will make you just lose it is the Japanese 180g pressing of Pink Floyds -Animals

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #17 of 20
yeah, the lack of perfection makes vinyl sound nice. I have quite a collection I would like to listen too again some day but it feels too obsessive buying a decent TT and cartridge for an outdated music collection.

but it's great to know people are still enjoying it. Unfortunately my amp is a Cambridge Audio 340A which has no separate pre-amp - I have a Technics TT (needs a new cartridge however) somewhere. Any advise for the cheapest way to get listening would be handy though.

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #18 of 20
I'll never forget my first vinyl experience. My guitar teacher was showing me the virtues of vinyl. He first played standard redbook for Anthem, from Rush's Fly By Night album. Then he put on the vinyl version. Even on lackluster el-cheapo equipment, it was night and day. It sounded more alive and sparkly, without being bright. In other words, it was not a simple eq adjustment. I think its the 'infinite bit length' that does it.

I hope to have a nice TT someday when I have the space.
redface.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by slenpree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, the lack of perfection makes vinyl sound nice. I have quite a collection I would like to listen too again some day but it feels too obsessive buying a decent TT and cartridge for an outdated music collection.

but it's great to know people are still enjoying it. Unfortunately my amp is a Cambridge Audio 340A which has no separate pre-amp - I have a Technics TT (needs a new cartridge however) somewhere. Any advise for the cheapest way to get listening would be handy though.

I wouldn't call vinyl outdated. It's still a viable source and while it might not be new technology, it delivers on sound quality. So do other sources, of course, but that's no reason not to enjoy vinyl.

Technics made and still makes some good turntables. You should dust it off and start using it again. A couple resources you can use are:

Needle Doctor

The Needledoctor should have whatever cartridge you need to get your table turning again. Also check out:

Garage 'A Records: Phonograph Cartridges and Needles, Record and Vinyl Accessories, Turntable Parts and Accessories and More!

They have decent, inexpensive phono stages and other gear you could use.

I'd also recommend looking into washing your records. You don't need to buy a machine, but there are several methods for handwashing in the sink. That's what I do with less than $5 of materials and some new sleeves. Cleaning is necessary and you'll be surprised how good your collection sounds afterwards. You might even rationalize an upgrade or two.

Dec 23, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #20 of 20
Right found the TT packed well and surprisingly no dust - looks new
smily_headphones1.gif

The model is a Technics SL-Q120 but not having much luck finding a needle/cartridge, just a you tube video and some non-English websites which after translation just say "discontinued". Long shot - does anyone know what type it requires ?

My local hi-fi store can fit a pre-amp for £20 which is reasonable, although i might look for something better after reviewing the vinyl collection :/

-Jonny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back