my first victim
Mar 19, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaztastic116
so there is no way to separate the driver from the housing?

nope... The UR40 and KTX Pro1 driver can be separated fomr the silver housing, but not the 75.

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
It may be worth a try to resolder them, but the wires are VERY fine (enamel coated). It may be a daunting task to DIY.

It seems they use the same type of cable as in Koss Portapro. Provided that you can get to the soldering points as easily as in the portas, it takes 15 minutes of your time to fix the problem. I have done it three times so far with my wife's portas, now the cable is a tad short but still works fine for her.

Stripping the wire is easy with a razor blade, rolling the cable under it carefully against the tabletop just to mark where you want it to break. Then just pull it off carefully with your fingernails.

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #20 of 33
recabling those should be cheaper than sending them back to koss. like garrett said, if you go with starquad they will be stiffer than stock. i've recabled a few pairs of ksc35 and the procedure is quite easy. the question is if you can live with the stiffer cable. i know i wasn't, even if i was just walking around the office with them. i like garrett's suggestion to use sennheiser cables. the only problem with them is the length. i guess you could get 2 lengths if you cut them in half.
etysmile.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #21 of 33
soldering the wire on would take all of 1 minute. I just removed and reconnected the wires on mine last night, to use the Coby wire strain reliefs. (my Kosby post in my sig has details of why I did this)

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #22 of 33
Mar 19, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #23 of 33
great opportunity to recable and insert 75 ohm resistors.
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #24 of 33
ok anyone know of a good guide to help me do the recabling with pics? i need one that does step by step as well as a part list for tools. I basically have nothing and no idea but am willing to do it. This will be a prelude to my DIY millet hybrid
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #25 of 33
its pretty self explanatory. open the good side and compare it to the broken side

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #26 of 33
so theres no special thing i need to know? just cut off the plugs off the hd650 cable and solder em on just like the working side? dont i need a wire stripper? and what guage is the hd600 wire?

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot
so theres no special thing i need to know? just cut off the plugs off the hd650 cable and solder em on just like the working side? dont i need a wire stripper? and what guage is the hd600 wire?

Cut off the HD650 cable plugs.

Strip back the wire insulation so you have about 1/16" of copper exposed. Tin the exposed end with flux and solder.

Use a multi meter and check for wire conductivity with the TRS connector. The TRS tip is the left channel+, TRS ring is the right + channel, Slieve is common ground (-).

Place a blob of flux on the KSC75 solder pads and solder the tinned HD650 cables onto them. the KSC I recabled I placed some hot melt glue over the cable and under the silver cover piece. This helps with strain relief.

Yes a wire stripper is a pre-requisite.... IMHO

Garrett

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #28 of 33
see i didnt even know i needed a multi-meter. ill go read up on the diy cable guide along with the tangent guide on tools. anyone know what guage the hd650 cable is or you guys gonna make me go through a million holes from big to small?

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
It may be worth a try to resolder them, but the wires are VERY fine (enamel coated). It may be a daunting task to DIY.

Feel the daunt! Do it anyway!

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Yes a wire stripper is a pre-requisite.... IMHO

Garrett

Or teeth
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back