My First UE 5 Customs
Nov 15, 2012 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Eatshrots

Head-Fier
Haven't been on here in a while. I've been through about 3 different Shures including the SE 535's which had wires that would always break open. After recently noticing how most companies have been adding removable wires, I went and purchased some Westone 4r's. They were good, but I decided then to go for customs. Did something I never thought I'd do and about a month ago I received my first set of UE 5 customs. 

I had to return them twice for refitting, and will have to do it again this coming Monday with a fresh remold of my left ear. The left side still has some discomfort and after the second time returning it, I feel as if the treble on the left side has lessened, so the balance seems to lean a bit more to the right. 

Here are some photos:

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 6
I knew about Ultimate Ears for years and only learned about JH after I received these. I remember the SE535's had a sense of like a sub-bass to it. I would feel the vibrations from the foam tips which I enjoyed. The UE5's sound more even on all levels, as it should be I'm guessing. Problem with these customs is that I had to send them back twice for refitting. When I first received them, I had incredible amounts of pain on the left side. They have a custom fit form on their website you can fill out and choose where on the ear has pressure or if it's loose. After the first time I sent them back, they did a major improvement, but the left side still seemed to have slight discomfort. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't fix it so I sent it back again. Now that I have them, I still think feel the same problem and now the balance seems to be off as if the trebles are slightly cut off on the left. Probably due to the way the bores are facing my ear canal now after 2 refittings. So hopefully after this coming Monday when I get a fresh new molding I can see the result. Other than that, I love the way they seal up the entire ear. Definitely feels professional, but would love to have the highs attenuated or have more of that artificial bass :)

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
You probably didn't have 535s but an earlier version of the Shure. 535s have removable cables. Less low bass than 530s? I always felt 530s had plenty but many already feel otherwise.

Actually yes, these were the 530's. And when I speak about the bass on the 530's, this is me working from my memory of about 4/5 years ago. Here's an image of them with torn wires:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back