My first turntable.
Nov 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

moocow111

Head-Fier
I'm looking to get my first turntable for Christmas. I'm not sure where to begin. My budget is $100-150. I'll be using my Audio Technica M50s to listen. Not much else to add, just recommend me some good beginner turntables within my budget.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
I'm looking to get my first turntable for Christmas. I'm not sure where to begin. My budget is $100-150. I'll be using my Audio Technica M50s to listen. Not much else to add, just recommend me some good beginner turntables within my budget.

Thanks in advance.

Go vintage.  They are the best bang for the buck and can easily compete with today's entry level turntables and beyond.  I suggest a direct drive (quartz or no quartz) table so you don't need to worry about changing belts, I prefer direct drive for this reason.  Anything made before the 1980s are pretty solid.  There aer tons to choose from ,just take a look at CL or other internet based local listings, even ebay if they're local.  Bewarned, you might need to buy a new cartridge or needle.  Best bet is to go on these sites and come back with a list so we can help. 

If you're thinking about buying brand new ones, the only good entry table I will only recommend is the project debut 3, those cost around or near $300.  Cheap tables like the USB Ion are absolutely terrible, my $25 Realistic LAB-420 can get that table alive.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 13
X2 on going vintage. There are lots of good ones out there that are far better than the cheap new ones.

I think there is a thread here about vintage turntables in the Source Forum. Also look at the Vinyl Engine and you'll find discussions over at Audio Karma, too.

Take some time to read through the Vinyl Anachronist columns. You'll learn a lot about setting up a turntable and plenty else.

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 13
I will warn you, getting into vintage is also quite addicting, lol.  But, setting up a good vinyl equipment is really hard to beat.  Sure you gotta keep flipping the records but, once you have a good table, needle/cartridge speakers and amplifier/receiver and good quality records it's really hard to beat.

Nov 27, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Save for a entry Level Project 3 or a Rega table and you'll be set for a few yrs....And you'll get most of your money back when you're ready to move up........

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Save for a entry Level Project 3 or a Rega table and you'll be set for a few yrs....And you'll get most of your money back when you're ready to move up........

I personally think the project 3 or other entry level tables are worth the money.  Price to performance ratio a good vintage one can run circles around the project 3.  If the op can find a Sony PS-X50, X60, X70 or even some older MK2 technics (these might be pricey), or pioneer tables like the PL-560, 570, 600, 630 (also might be pricey) for less than $100, they are much better performers than the project 3.  Even Radio Shack stuff were good stuff, especialy the LAB-400, 420, 500 all made by CEC who made tables for Marantz.

Just to keep it all relative, my personal table is a Sanyo Q50 Plus Series it came with a Shure M95HE cartridge, I paid $30 and it also came with D55 Plus Series cassette deck and a 8-track player (lol).  I will admit I do favor DD over belt due to no replacement belts.  But, there are tons of nice belt driven TT as well, Dual, Pioneer, CEC stuff etc.

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm also looking for my first table.

The problem with vintage is that, being new to vinyl, I don't know what's a good vintage table and what's a crap vintage table. (Thanks Mythless for your specific suggestions!)

How do you guys feel about the Rega P3-24 (new). They come in some fun funky colors and are about $900 new w/o a cartridge. Is this a table I would end up upgrading? Does a P3-24 beat the snot out of a Project Debut 3? (at double the price it better!)

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 13
i investigate CL in al the major cities near me looking for the Technics sl-1200mk2, which from what ive read is pretty much amazing, but they also said not to get one that had been used as a DJ table which they all have been :frowning2:

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

The problem with vintage is that, being new to vinyl, I don't know what's a good vintage table and what's a crap vintage table. (Thanks Mythless for your specific suggestions!)

How do you guys feel about the Rega P3-24 (new). They come in some fun funky colors and are about $900 new w/o a cartridge. Is this a table I would end up upgrading? Does a P3-24 beat the snot out of a Project Debut 3? (at double the price it better!)

I'd Get a Rega P3/24 if you can afford it...I think in Music Directs new catalog they have a few package deals Table.arm and MM cartridge.....I bought my 15 yr old step son a project 3 used and picked up a new Shure M97-E  cart. for it, a total of about 3 Bills and it rocks....To answer your question about the Rega P3 being better then the Project Line of Tables the answer is way better, because of the RB 300 arm, IMO! A great arm already mounted on the P3 Rega....You'll have that table for yrs.    As for getting a vintage Direct drive table, I'd stay away from Direct Drive...many induce noise through the bearing onto the arm/cartridge.etc.etc....Another nice used table but on the "Big" side are the VPI Jr's.....I just saw a really nice one on AudioGon for $600 bucks.with a Audioquest arm... A Great Table/Arm combo.........I've had many tables in my 50 plus yrs of Vinyl addiction and I could have lived with my old rega or VPI models.and did for many yrs,.............But now, My Reference is just the cats meow, as they say...good luck looking.......So look for a good used Rega 3 or P3 (newer) or even a Project III or better if you can afford one.......

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

I'd Get a Rega P3/24 if you can afford it...I think in Music Directs new catalog they have a few package deals Table.arm and MM cartridge.....I bought my 15 yr old step son a project 3 used and picked up a new Shure M97-E  cart. for it, a total of about 3 Bills and it rocks....To answer your question about the Rega P3 being better then the Project Line of Tables the answer is way better, because of the RB 300 arm, IMO! A great arm already mounted on the P3 Rega....You'll have that table for yrs.    As for getting a vintage Direct drive table, I'd stay away from Direct Drive...many induce noise through the bearing onto the arm/cartridge.etc.etc....Another nice used table but on the "Big" side are the VPI Jr's.....I just saw a really nice one on AudioGon for $600 bucks.with a Audioquest arm... A Great Table/Arm combo.........I've had many tables in my 50 plus yrs of Vinyl addiction and I could have lived with my old rega or VPI models.and did for many yrs,.............But now, My Reference is just the cats meow, as they say...good luck looking.......So look for a good used Rega 3 or P3 (newer) or even a Project III or better if you can afford one.......

I agree the Rega is a far superior table over the Project 3, hense the price difference, better motor, arm, platter etc.  Now, I can tell you're pro belt driven tables, that's fine, I am sure you had DD too and had bad experiences with them.  But, the debate between DD and Belt will always be on going.  But, high quality DD turntables do not induce noticeable noise, especially if the tables have good plinth, but that is the same with certain belt driven ones too, even idler wheels.  All my tables are quiet.  But, it's up to the OP to take a listen to see what he likes between tables.  I will say that buying an used vintage table takes some work and effort.  Don't buy abused tables, make sure they hold speed and all the controls work.  For DD if you can't maintain speed with the pitch control, stay away.  For belt, it means it needs a new belt.  Like the OP I've been through the same process (I'm a young guy started the vintage hobby past spring), but I did the whole setup, amplifier and speakers.

If you can buy new, that's always a safe bet.

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 13
Moocow111, do you have a phono preamp, either standalone or as part of your receiver/amp setup?  You'll need one, both as a way to amplify the low-level signal from the TT and to apply the RIAA correction curve.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 13
Hi, sorry to hijack this thread a bit but i thought my questions might also help the OP.

Is a Phono Preamp and RIIA box the same thing? And what cheap box is worth getting, do they have a big difference on the sound? I have a cheap Vivanco PA111 Preamp but still no recordplayer. I have decided to go vintage, probably going for a Dual 505-x  (a friend recommended, belt driven and ~250€ used). Would i need to upgrade that Preamp directly and see a difference? And if im getting a integrated stereo amp (~500€-700€), would i still se a difference using an external preamp (and in what pricerange would that have to be in)?

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 13
The main key for getting a separate preamp are 1) accommodate MM or MC cartridges if you amplifier do not have MC abilities 2) may provide better sound quality and flavor.  I don't have a separate phono preamp as my amplifier can accommodate both MC and MM.  But, they're nice to have and can add some flavor to your music, works just like a standard amplifier.  It's really up to you if you need one or want one.  I say if you don't have a MC then don't bother.  However, if you do have a MC and your amp does not have MC abilities then yes, by all means.  But, I never heard anything from a phono preamp before so I can't comment. 

Flow Chart:
Turntable -> phono preamp -> amplifier -> speakers

Since you already have a phono preamp just focus on getting an amplifier.  I don't know what a RIIA box is so...yeah, I'm a bit confused.  If it is another phono preamp then it's up to you to find one which one suits your taste.  

250 Euro for a vintage belt driven 505?  That's pretty expensive imo.  I don't know the price that vintage tables go in Finland, but that's too expensive for a 505.  I've seen a 505 here in Canada for an average price of $75CAD.  The 505 were decent tables but nothing special about them.  If you can, find a vintage amplifier or receiver with both MM and MC abilities if you don't want to spend extra for a separate phono preamp just yet.  But, pricing is up to your area.  But, 500-750 Euro is a lot of money, you could probably buy a top of the line vintage piece for that kind of cash. 

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back