My first thoughts on the HF3s
Sep 28, 2011 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

spybenj

New Head-Fier
Got my HF3s in the mail this morning. I've been trying them out for a while, on the subway, etc.

I love them. The highs are amazing, and I'm impressed with the amount of detail that I'm hearing.
They're comfortable. I'm enjoying the foam tips, but I'm a bit worried about how long they'll work.
The bass is really good, just not emphasized at all. I wanted to listen to a bass-heavy song, so I listened to DLZ by TV on The Radio. While the bass is rather quite, it's there. The highs and mids are amazing. The bass falls in the background but it is very detailed.

Overall I'm very impressed, and, if wanted, can give a more detailed review.
Ask any questions about them here.

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 8
Interesting. I once considered getting a pair, but the form factor and possible durability issues put me off. Any impressions on the build quality and cabling?

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 8
Consider using Shure black foams aka Olives on Etys. It will improve the bass by increasing bass quantity and body without sacrificing the mids or highs

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Interesting. I once considered getting a pair, but the form factor and possible durability issues put me off. Any impressions on the build quality and cabling?

I own a pair of HF5s, and over the past year and a half, the build quality has been EXCELLENT.  No issues at all.  Ever.  None.

As for the cabling, well... it gets a bit "springy" and wants to return it's curled up shape.  Also, these headphones are quite microphonic, if not worn over the year.  That gets old quickly.

Lastly, ear tips are squarely under "whatever works for you".  The Shure Olives actually cause me physical pain in my ears, so I opted for the small Ety tri-flanges.  Great isolation and very durable.  Klipsch gels also work nicely.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 8
Yes, the HF* series is built like a tank -- you will have to work hard to break it -- it likely won't self-destruct.

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Yea the quality seems awesome.
Sorry, have been busy.
The mic seems good, when I use the clip people can't even tell that I'm using earphones, better quality than the iPhone mic.
Without the clip it can be both good and bad. It really depends on the wind, etc.
I'm changing between the tris and the memory foam pieces.
Not sure which ones are better. The foams are more comfortable, but I think the tris sound better and give better isolation.

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 8

Um... They are probably the best built of my 23+ IEMs I have with me right now. The cables are kevlar enforced (if I'm not mistaken), the strain reliefs are extremely strong, but flexible, and the headphone jack is similar in size to the RE0s (newest model) :p It'll last, trust me.

Oct 1, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 8

I know my shures are like a tank too :D but well i'm not sure about getting a pair of etys to satisfy my guilty listening pleasures...

Quote:
Um... They are probably the best built of my 23+ IEMs I have with me right now. The cables are kevlar enforced (if I'm not mistaken), the strain reliefs are extremely strong, but flexible, and the headphone jack is similar in size to the RE0s (newest model)
tongue.gif
It'll last, trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back