My first set of real headphones...
Aug 9, 2007 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Sutanreyu

New Head-Fier
I've been researching a bit around the net for a nice pair of headphones, as to really enjoy my music. I've come across a couple that I'm considering, but I'm unsure of as to whether their purchase fits my uses and makes the best of my starting budget of $150.

I've narrowed down my main choices to:

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Grado SR125

My questions are really... Is the SR125 going to sound nice all on its own without an amp? Or would getting an HD280p w/ an amp like the PA2v2 be a better choice?

Some minor questions involve... What's the difference between the Pro and Silver versions of the HD280? Is the sound quality difference between SR80s and SR125s warrant the purchase? My only concern with the Grado's is that their open. Do they disperse a lot of sound around them?

Information that would probably helpful:
I'm going to be listening to music at home, from my computer. I listen to tons of different genres of music, so I would like to be able to enjoy them all nicely, (though anything is going to be a big jump for me). Though, I mainly listen to rock/metal. Example bands: Coheed and Cambria, Disturbed, Kamelot, etc. Most importantly, I'm favorable to more treble than I am for bass.

That's pretty much all I can think of, for now. Thanks in advance, for those who answer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutanreyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been researching a bit around the net for a nice pair of headphones, as to really enjoy my music. I've come across a couple that I'm considering, but I'm unsure of as to whether their purchase fits my uses and makes the best of my starting budget of $150.

Some minor questions involve... What's the difference between the Pro and Silver versions of the HD280? Is the sound quality difference between SR80s and SR125s warrant the purchase? My only concern with the Grado's is that their open. Do they disperse a lot of sound around them?

Information that would probably helpful:
I'm going to be listening to music at home, from my computer. I listen to tons of different genres of music, so I would like to be able to enjoy them all nicely, (though anything is going to be a big jump for me). Though, I mainly listen to rock/metal. Example bands: Coheed and Cambria, Disturbed, Kamelot, etc.

That's pretty much all I can think of, for now. Thanks in advance, for those who answer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have a SR80 right now? My friend listens to his SR80s straight out of his computer and Ipod and he is quite happy. I feel that the SR80 and SR225 are going to be a nice leap. If you like the Grado upfront signature than you will be happy with the SR225 or even the SR80s. Grado do very well with rock/metal. I like how they sound with Disturbed. Good luck
gs1000.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 16
Welcome to Head-Fi,

Your going to run across Grado and Senn fan boys/girls saying how one is better than the other, but it all comes down to how you hear music, I really enjoyed my the journey of finding out how I may like one sound over the other, I'ts all one big continous learning experience, so I say flip a coin, if you dont like your first choice then try another.
yesterday I liked Sennheiser, today I like Grado, and maybe tomorrow I'll like Beyer, and so on and so on, Here on Head-fi I'ts all about what sounds good to you.
Aloha,

Aug 9, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 16
For your taste the Grado would probably be the better fit. It's also a more versatile headphone if you're thinking (as you should) in terms of your upgrade path in the future. When you get a more expensive headphone down the road, you could use the SR125 as a portable headphone or as your rock/metal headphone and plan for your future purchase accordingly. The HD280 will be neither here nor there when you're upgrading.

Aug 9, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 16
I believe the Grado SR-125 is easier to drive than the HD280. It's also an open can, so if you want isolation, go for the HD280.

I would actually suggest getting a pair of Koss KSC75s for ~$20 as a starter. By far the best sound for the money. The Alessandro MS-1 ($99) are another excellent starter option.

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 16
MS-1 is good for rock, but not really 'all around', considering it doesn't have much soundstage. I will say either a Senn, or better yet, AD700.

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 16
x2 AD700

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutanreyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is the sound quality difference between SR80s and SR125s warrant the purchase? My only concern with the Grado's is that their open. Do they disperse a lot of sound around them?

Though, I mainly listen to rock/metal. Example bands: Coheed and Cambria, Disturbed, Kamelot, etc. Most importantly, I'm favorable to more treble than I am for bass.

The main difference; as I understand it, between SR-80 and SR-125 is in the treble region. The SR-125 has more of it. The SR-125 does have an upgrade in materials over the SR-80 as well, and that would account for some of the difference in cost.

The amount of sound dispersed of course has a lot to do with how loud they're listened to.
tongue.gif
But I find that in my house that at the levels I listen to, they aren't a problem for others.

....unless I stomp my feet and sing along!
icon10.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 16
If you prefer punchier bass with a slightly darker presentation, go for the SR-80s. If you like your music more detailed but a little brighter go for the MS-1s/SR-125s. If you can afford it, the SR-225s get much love around here. Nothing beats hearing each headphone for yourself, though. If you want something really laid back and closed, the HD280s will work.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 16
A900 should beat hd280 on being closed, and it is more of an all-rounder.

Aug 9, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have a SR80 right now? My friend listens to his SR80s straight out of his computer and Ipod and he is quite happy. I feel that the SR80 and SR225 are going to be a nice leap. If you like the Grado upfront signature than you will be happy with the SR225 or even the SR80s. Grado do very well with rock/metal. I like how they sound with Disturbed. Good luck
gs1000.gif

Nope. I don't have any good 'phones worth mentioning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by choomanchoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi,

Your going to run across Grado and Senn fan boys/girls saying how one is better than the other, but it all comes down to how you hear music, I really enjoyed my the journey of finding out how I may like one sound over the other, I'ts all one big continous learning experience, so I say flip a coin, if you dont like your first choice then try another.
yesterday I liked Sennheiser, today I like Grado, and maybe tomorrow I'll like Beyer, and so on and so on, Here on Head-fi I'ts all about what sounds good to you.
Aloha,

That's a really cool way to put it. I might as well just do that. Though all of the advice I've gotten from you guys has helped, too.

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 16
Ok. So after a good amount of research...

I'm now really considering the MS-1s, since I've been reading a lot of good things about them, (thanks squall343!).

The only thing holding me a bit back from the MS-1s is if they require an amp or not... I've read different things on the subject.

Will I be fine without an amp with MS-1s?

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 16
Get an MS-1 and liberators to pair with it. That'll fix the soundstage "issue."
smily_headphones1.gif

They also work beautifully without an amp, I didn't have one for my SR-80 for years until I came here. The amp really does help, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back