My first 'real' cans: Grado SR-125's
Nov 20, 2002 at 9:20 AM Post #16 of 24
i have ordered the beyer dt990/990pro/880/811 pads. $35 a pair & $6 shipping. the dt831 pads are the same price. the difference is the outer plastic, on the dt990 type it goes around the outer cup, on the 831 type it's much shorter and goes into the cup. they are all velour.

it should be simple enough to take the grado sr80's apart, throw in a 1/4" X 5" donut....

pictures will be forthcoming.

Nov 20, 2002 at 9:40 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by chillysalsa
BTW: it's really interesting how horrible you can make them sound by covering the screens with your hands

heh, it was pretty strange when i tried that for the first time. ultra open grados, what can you say
biggrin.gif
. if you aren't into changing the pads, there's another "mod" you can do to the pads. i read it somewhere on this board: soak up pads up in warm soapy water, sqeeze the water out, re-submerge, squeeze the water out, repeat, repeat until you get bored. i'm not sure how long you're supposed to do it for. i'll see if i can find the thread on it.

Nov 20, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

soak up pads up in warm soapy water, sqeeze the water out, re-submerge, squeeze the water out, repeat, repeat until you get bored.

that will only compress the bowl pads to the thin pad size. the foam will actually get harder when it dries in a compressed state.

Nov 21, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #19 of 24
I got the Sennheiser 19545 pads (HD-414 replacements) today and so far I'm very impressed. I'm compairing them to Grado Comfy pads because I hate the bowl pads and have never been fortunate enough to audition the original flat pads.

Anyone who's ever had an issue with Grado comfort needs a pair of these. They are waaaay more comfortable than the Grado comfies. They cover each ear like a warm blanket and pretty soon you forget you're wearing headphones.

My early impressions sound-wise are that they deliver a lot more impact than the comfies without any harshness. They make that Grado immediacy seem even more so. I started out with some remastered Oscar Peterson Trio. On Night Train, the bass line was more up front and the piano was crystal clear. I moved on to Santana's Moonflower. Santana in general begs for Grados. Even my beloved HD-600s can't do Santana the justice he gets from my 325s. Soul Sacrifice never sounded better! The highs soared, the drum solos thundered, everything was perfect.

For a mod that only costs $4.50 a pair, I don't see how you can go wrong. And yeah, you should see how wild my 325s look with these big-assed yellow pads on them.

Nov 21, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Picture, PLEASE
biggrin.gif

grados.jpg

Nov 21, 2002 at 1:40 AM Post #22 of 24
hmmmmm....that bright yellow is something

but damn, look at those 325s shine!!

Nov 21, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by nanahachi

but damn, look at those 325s shine!!

I bought them from Vertigo-1. When I got them, they were probably in better shape than when they left the factory.

Nov 21, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #24 of 24
VERY PRETTY!

mine should be here any day now.

along with beyer 990 pads.
and my akg k501's
and my 2 aiwa ak100's.

see if jude'll let you post your picture in the diy/mods section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back