My first portable setup...RE-262 and cMoyBB V2.03 so far....need a DAP
Sep 27, 2012 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ArmAndHammer

Headphoneus Supremus
I have seriously been reading pages and pages and I am more and more confused. Right now, my DAP is an 8gb iPhone4. The headphones and amp (RE-262 and cMoyBB V2.03) should be here tomorrow, Friday at the latest so I'm pretty excited about that. Anyways, I'd kinda like to separate my phone from my DAP, but the biggest thing is, my phone is only 8gb. I read that the iPhones are actually excellent for their SQ...so the thought did go through my head of maybe picking up a used 32gb iPhone 4 and use it soley as an "iPod"...I am nervous about buying one used and can't afford the still stupid price for a new one.

So, besides the iPhone, I haven't really narrowed it down to anything yet. The only thing I am looking for out of a player is good SQ and decent battery life. I do appreciate any suggestions and help anyone can give me.

Guess I should add...my budget is around what I can get a used iPhone 4 for which looks to be around $200.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 18
Everything I read here says the iPod Touch is inferior to the iPhone. I have an iPod Touch but it's busted. It was my g/f's but after it stopped working, she gave it to me. I tried to fix it but no go. I'll probably sell it on ebay for whatever I can get out of it.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 18
Clip Zip + 64 GB SDXC Card, ~100 bucks.

Sep 27, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
Clip Zip + 64 GB SDXC Card, ~100 bucks.

Clip Zip SQ = or > iPhone 4? I like the price of your suggestion, just want to be sure it's the best I can get for my budget. Even though my pending system is probably pretty lowbrow considering, the chances of upgrading in the future are very real so I'd like to make sure the source is up to the task when the time comes. 

Also, I have a side question...speaking of the 64gb card...are they all created equal? I'd definitely go SanDisk, but I see there are different cards...a "regular" one, the Ultra, and the Ultra Mobile.  

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
Clip Zip SQ = or > iPhone 4? I like the price of your suggestion, just want to be sure it's the best I can get for my budget. Even though my pending system is probably pretty lowbrow considering, the chances of upgrading in the future are very real so I'd like to make sure the source is up to the task when the time comes. 

Also, I have a side question...speaking of the 64gb card...are they all created equal? I'd definitely go SanDisk, but I see there are different cards...a "regular" one, the Ultra, and the Ultra Mobile.  

From my knowledge, it equals the iPhone at less than 1/5 the price (considering both new).
But I like the other advantages of the Sansa as well. No iTunes crap, great rockbox support, plays FLAC out of the box. Infact I just placed an order for one, 8GB.

Regarding the 64GB card, Sandisk only makes one, the Ultra.
Usually micro sds have a 'class' rating, Class 10 is fastest, but also depends on the device compatibility.

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 18
IPod classic? You can rockbox it, line out is a bonus, and the build quality and battery life destroy the clip+/clip zip.

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
IPod classic? You can rockbox it, line out is a bonus, and the build quality and battery life destroy the clip+/clip zip.

Only 5.5G has a usable rockbox.
Line out is a plus, but I don't really think its needed with IEMs. 
Battery life, maybe, but its kinda the difference between charging once a week vs once in two weeks.
Also, the cost diff is too big for me personally.

Also, I own an iPod Classic 7G, but mostly use it for long duration usage, or before sleeping. I can see it struggles with alac because of the HDD. The Clip is more for daily use with MP3, throw around kind of player, and a good one at that.

Sep 27, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 18
7G rockbox is stable now actually, and the difference in build, battery and storage is well worth the price, and you won't suffer any SQ loss from the clip

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 18
it really depends on the route you want to take, going for bang for buck or squeezing as much as you can out of it...
If you plan to sit down and and listen more or more of an on the go experience, i got tired of bringing a brick around since i mostly listen on the go.. e.g bus etc... so something like rocoo P without amp with re262 is what i used to use, since the isolation with re262 is not that great.

If you want to use it with an amp, a sansa player will do fine, i have the fuze since i like the line out function.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
7G rockbox is stable now actually, and the difference in build, battery and storage is well worth the price, and you won't suffer any SQ loss from the clip

@randomkid - The RockBox site says iPod classics are unstable. If you have information or something that says different, I'd like to see it. Not to prove you are right, just to confirm because I'd definitely consider the iPod classic if it can in fact do RockBox. I really like the 160gb capacity of the classic and not having all the frills that I would get from a touch or iPhone isn't a big deal, since I do have an iPhone in service.

@proton007 - As far as the memory card, I was looking at them on Amazon. They have listed the 64gb as either an Ultra or Mobile Ultra. Looks like the speed is the same, I was just wondering if they were actually different cards.

@milford - this setup is mostly for on the go but if the sound is good enough, I'd certainly sit around the house and listen to it as well. In fact, right now with my desktop amp not working, this setup is going to be my only option for a while.

So far, sounds like the Clip Zip may be on top of the list, might look at the Fuze too but I was reading that it has some issues with the interface and possibly being pretty slow and unresponsive.

32gb iPhone 4 still a good contender though I'd really like more capacity and I'd love to get into a new DAP for less than I'll have to pay for an Apple product. 

The 160gb iPod classic would be awesome too but I'd really like some confirmation as to whether RockBox is stable on this platform.

The one other player at this time I was kinda givin' the eye to is the Cowon C2. I haven't really read too much about it yet to see how much of a contender it is, but looks, battery life, and price make it look appealing.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #12 of 18
Check the iPod classic rockbox thread for feedback, I've been running it for a while and it's very stable

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:
@randomkid - The RockBox site says iPod classics are unstable. If you have information or something that says different, I'd like to see it. Not to prove you are right, just to confirm because I'd definitely consider the iPod classic if it can in fact do RockBox. I really like the 160gb capacity of the classic and not having all the frills that I would get from a touch or iPhone isn't a big deal, since I do have an iPhone in service.

@proton007 - As far as the memory card, I was looking at them on Amazon. They have listed the 64gb as either an Ultra or Mobile Ultra. Looks like the speed is the same, I was just wondering if they were actually different cards.

@milford - this setup is mostly for on the go but if the sound is good enough, I'd certainly sit around the house and listen to it as well. In fact, right now with my desktop amp not working, this setup is going to be my only option for a while.

So far, sounds like the Clip Zip may be on top of the list, might look at the Fuze too but I was reading that it has some issues with the interface and possibly being pretty slow and unresponsive.

32gb iPhone 4 still a good contender though I'd really like more capacity and I'd love to get into a new DAP for less than I'll have to pay for an Apple product. 

The 160gb iPod classic would be awesome too but I'd really like some confirmation as to whether RockBox is stable on this platform.

The one other player at this time I was kinda givin' the eye to is the Cowon C2. I haven't really read too much about it yet to see how much of a contender it is, but looks, battery life, and price make it look appealing.

"Mobile Ultra offers more side-loading speed and capacity for storing and transferring music, videos, photos, games and even maps."
http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/sandisk_release_their_mobile_ultra_memor

sounds like mobile ultra is better whatever side loading speed means...

I have never made my Fuze freeze, just rockbox it and it should be fine, i guess it comes down to preference, click buttons (clip) or turn wheel (Fuze) and if you are willing to buy an adapter for the line out... but the clip has more battery life if i remember correctly...

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Check the iPod classic rockbox thread for feedback, I've been running it for a while and it's very stable

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Sep 27, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
"Mobile Ultra offers more side-loading speed and capacity for storing and transferring music, videos, photos, games and even maps."
http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index.php/sandisk_release_their_mobile_ultra_memor

sounds like mobile ultra is better whatever side loading speed means...

I have never made my Fuze freeze, just rockbox it and it should be fine, i guess it comes down to preference, click buttons (clip) or turn wheel (Fuze) and if you are willing to buy an adapter for the line out... but the clip has more battery life if i remember correctly...

Ooooo...greater side loading speed....I'm all over that...haha...yeah, I have no idea what that means...lol...it's only a few bucks more...I guess it would be worth trying it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back