My first headamp! Which one for Sr80i and Klipsch Custom 3?
Mar 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

yakuzaph

100+ Head-Fier
Dear fellow head-fiers,

As the title says, I have a pair of Sr80i and Klipsch Custom 3. The sound is quite acceptable using them with my iPod 120gb, but I'd like to try a headamp to see how much sound quality can be improved.

I'm in the process of looking for a portable headamp around $100 or less. I'm just a newbie in this audiophile world, so I really need your recommendations. So my criteria are:

- chargeable through the DC jack. I wouldn't want an amp that makes me take the battery in and out to charge.
- it doesn't have to be too small. Actually I would love an amp with a size of an iPod classic. That way they'll look good together.
- I like the neutral sound, but some options to color the sound would be a plus.
- it will drive my SR-80i and Custom 3 and probably higher end Grado in near future.

After a couple weeks doing research, I've come across these amps: Practical Devices XM4, Nuforce Icon Mobile, iBasso T4, Little Dot Micro +, Minibox E +. I've never tried a headamp before, so honestly I don't know how these amps sound. That's why your recommendation is so important.

I'd really appreciate any input. Thank you.

-yakuzaph

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 19
not that i know a vast ammount about amps or the sr80 but the kc3 i do and given the T4 has a rep for being rather warm and bassy i cant say i think thats going to be a great combo with the kc3. they already have a bucket load of bass.

bt your list of amps is almost the same as the ones ive been randomly umming and ahhing about, if you go ahead and get one id love to know what and how they go with your custom 3's

Mar 20, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 19
I doubt that the KC3 will improve with an amp because they sound so darn good without one already. I need an amp mainly because of my Grado's
biggrin.gif

I've added the mini3 to my list. What do you guys think about ]this mini 3 ? Does it look like the SQ is anywhere near the MisterX one or the Rockhopper one?

Mar 21, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 19
Honestly, the SR-80 sounds great out of the headphone jack. A portable doesn't do too much justice for the price/performance ratio.

I think you'd be better off saving for a nice home amp and being content with the iPod and Grados.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, the SR-80 sounds great out of the headphone jack. A portable doesn't do too much justice for the price/performance ratio.

I think you'd be better off saving for a nice home amp and being content with the iPod and Grados.

Yeah, I think the SR-80 do sound very nice out of the the ipod, but if a portable headamp could make the phones a bit less bright and add a little bit more bass then I would love to own one. It's gonna be a good while till I can afford a nice home amp and better pair of phones. I just wanna see much justice a portable headamp can do. If it's not worth the price, I can still return it. Thanks for your suggestion.
beerchug.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakuzaph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I think the SR-80 do sound very nice out of the the ipod, but if a portable headamp could make the phones a bit less bright and add a little bit more bass then I would love to own one. It's gonna be a good while till I can afford a nice home amp and better pair of phones. I just wanna see much justice a portable headamp can do. If it's not worth the price, I can still return it. Thanks for your suggestion.
beerchug.gif

Home amps can be inexpensive. The for-sale forums are chalked full of good deals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back