My first headamp! Which one for Sr80i and Klipsch Custom 3?
Mar 21, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #16 of 19
Grado SR-80 sound great without an amp. High-end Grados have the same impedence as low-end Grados so they don't need one either. I use my SR-80 with a Nuforce Icon Mobile with my PC, but mostly for the external DAC and the easy access to volume control. One argument for having a portable amp is to lessen the drain on your iPod batteries, but I think the inconvenience outweighs that benefit.

If you really want an amp to see what the fuss is about, get something cheap/good like PA2V2, PenguinAmp Cmoy, or Nuforce Icon Mobile. All of these meet your requirements.

My recommendation is don't waste money on something you don't need. Spend the money on beer. Drinking one or two while listening to your music will increase your enjoyment more than any "upgrade." Seriously!

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #17 of 19
Yes, definitely check out the For Sale forum. IMO, I'd lean towards an AMB Labs Mini^3...or the NuForce Icon Mobile (just because it allows you to experience a DAC as well). IMO they're a better value than CMOYs...though there's always the argument/opinion (not mine) that the Grado RA-1 is inferior to a CMOY, and if Grado's have good synergy with a RA-1, then ....

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #18 of 19
Many thanks for your inputs.

Does everyone agree that a portable headamp is just a waste of money? I just love my Grado too much that I'm determined to increase their SQ. But my $100 budget doesn't allow me to do anything much excepting buying an entry level headamp. Hey, I just thought I might do some woodie mod for them
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back