My first Cowon is the i10 and I love it.
Nov 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jiff

100+ Head-Fier
Before this i10 I had some Sony, Phillips and Sansa players as Apple player never sounded that good to me but this Cowon blows them away (well its better than the Sony but doesn't blow it away).  

The Jeteffects is killer and is what makes the player imo.  With my new Ety HF5's over my S4's it makes the sound just so clear and clean.  I really just listen to EDM and now I hear parts of the songs that I was missing like all the little loops and samples that make the tracks sound so new now.  With all the BBE+ settings I can make all the levels sound just perfect.

I'm now a big Cowon fan and see why they always get such good reviews and praise.  Their easy to use and do what they need to (very very well) and nothing more like a bunch of apps and other stuff that I don't want or need though I know the D3 does for $350.  So for an entry lever player (I don't count the E2 as is just a flash drive player with no screen) the i10 is amazing and if your on the fence about Cowon don't be because what they say is all true.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 17
Important question: Does the volume rocker become fwd/prev when the device is on hold? the only reason I'm hesitating about grabbing this immediately is because of the lack of tactile buttons, I don't want to pull the device out of my pocket when i want to skip a song.

I look forward to reading any other impressions you may have about the i10. :)

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 17
Unfortunately no it does not its just the volume.  For me thats not a big deal as I mainly just listen to Dj mixes and have no need to skip tracks.  Though I did find out that it has gapless playback which is huge for me.  The S9 and J3 both have a forward and back button with Cowon's amazing sound but the i10 and I think i9 don't.  I just got the i10 cuz I don't need a touch screen and only use it for music and nothing else.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Unfortunately no it does not its just the volume.  For me thats not a big deal as I mainly just listen to Dj mixes and have no need to skip tracks.  Though I did find out that it has gapless playback which is huge for me.  The S9 and J3 both have a forward and back button with Cowon's amazing sound but the i10 and I think i9 don't.  I just got the i10 cuz I don't need a touch screen and only use it for music and nothing else.

Are you sure for the buttons? In the settings Cowon usually offers to chose the "purpose" of the buttons on hold. It's the case on my X7, initially used for volumes but you can set it on "track control".

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 17
Yea your right there is you just go to the "hold mode" in settings and select it.  I'm still getting use to it I've only had it for 2 days.

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 17
After having it for a few days now I like more and more each day.  The UI is very clean an easy to use and the touch pad responds great so moving from folders is a snap (unlike my Sansa Fuze+ which is a joke over a player).  I watch a movie on it last night just to see how it looked and the picture was good but not great though the sound was very good with the surround but I didn't get for videos.  Love the gapless playback as I didn't think it had that so now I don't have to combined my mixes with split tracks.  The radio was very clear on stations with strong signals and almost sound HD on some of them and the recorded works fine.  

There is one small problem which could be a big problem for some as I can't get into the manual settings for the EQ.  It says to tap twice on one the User icons to get on the EQ but all it does is select it and basically turn off the BBE+.  So if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it I'm all ears.   Aside from that for $150 I think its a very good player with great sound quality and a good price.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 17
I haven't really experienced any roll off with it.  I think it has plenty of juice with 28.5mW to the right and left and after adjusting the BBE+ my HF5's have very nice bass response in the low and mid range, at least for my taste.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 17
Now that you have had the Cowon i10 for a while could you tell me how well you like it and your overall impression of the player. I'm on the fence between Cowon models, looking at the J3 and D3 but not sure. I noticed that my interests in music are very similar to yours so I thought I would write and ask you a few questions if you don't mind. I have a Sansa Fuze+ which I really like but I don't want it as my main player, I just sold my Zune 64gb and now I'm looking for a great sounding and easy to use player. I guess and Cowon would be good, I don't want to but an Ipod and there isn't a whole lot of selection for a quality player that sounds really good. EDM is meant to be heard clearly as you already know and my Sansa does do a pretty good job but it is not meant to be my main music player, I want something that sounds really good and is easy to use with WMP. Thanks skip
smile_phones.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Now that you have had the Cowon i10 for a while could you tell me how well you like it and your overall impression of the player. I'm on the fence between Cowon models, looking at the J3 and D3 but not sure. I noticed that my interests in music are very similar to yours so I thought I would write and ask you a few questions if you don't mind. I have a Sansa Fuze+ which I really like but I don't want it as my main player, I just sold my Zune 64gb and now I'm looking for a great sounding and easy to use player. I guess and Cowon would be good, I don't want to but an Ipod and there isn't a whole lot of selection for a quality player that sounds really good. EDM is meant to be heard clearly as you already know and my Sansa does do a pretty good job but it is not meant to be my main music player, I want something that sounds really good and is easy to use with WMP. Thanks skip
smile_phones.gif

Well, the J3's battery life is quite a bit higher than the i10. Also, it'll depend on how much music you have. The i10 doesn't have a microSD slot, while the J3 does.
Between J3 and D3: I'd use the J3 for walking around for sure. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #14 of 17
welcome to the Cowon users club and glad you're enjoying your i10, I am an i9 owner and love the sound that it produces and is the perfect match for the Sennheiser HD 598 and drives them to their best without the use of an amp. But I must say I am not a big fan of the clunky UI of the i9 and since this is my only Cowon product I own I have no other Cowon to compare it to, but have heard that Cowon constantly improve the UI of newer models. Wouldn't it be nice with Cowon adopted an Apple style UI from the get go rather than constantly change the UI to improve it? The normal / flat EQ is rubbish and dull on the Cowon i9 but the BBE effects is what it's all about on Cowons, and I am a huge fan of the BBE Headphones settings.

One piece of golden advice, take good care of your USB cable as Cowon replacements are hard to find.

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #15 of 17
I've owned my i9 for a while now and I just found out about the hold functions today. Great!

Does anyone know how the i9 sounds compare to the i10? is there a huge improvement/difference on the i10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back