My first build log... AMB Mini³ w/ lots of pictures!
Nov 3, 2010 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

wompa164

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

This will be my first attempt at building any kind of audio equipment or DIY project from scratch. It's going to be a learning experience for me, and I hope to document and share some of my discoveries with you along the way that might help other members if they decide to try their hand at a build. I've been offering Xbox360 related services for a few years now, so I've had time to cultivate and develop my soldering skills to a fairly high level of proficiency. I decided that building a Mini3 would be a fun and interesting test to see how much my skills have matured until this point. I spent a few weeks looking at various DIY kits before deciding on the Mini3 - I performed some initial research regarding the build, ordered all of the parts through Digikey and AMB labs and set off.

First off, here are a few pictures of my workbench and previous soldering work that I took for fun a while back. The pictures are a few months outdated as I've gotten some new goodies since then. My equipment is fairly entry-level (nothing too fancy, though I'm looking at pickick up a digital Weller station shortly) but I've got all of the essentials:

And so begins my build.

After doing a thorough check of all the parts I received and cross-referencing them with the published parts list, I gave each component a unique, sequential number in the lower-left corner of the bag w/ a Sharpie to help me keep better track of the components and for quick reference (instead of having to reference the part number and flip through 25+ components). A really simple detail, but one that's already paying big dividens during the build process.

Day 1: Soldered the opamps and first few resistors. Stopped early because I realized I was having a diffcult time preparing the leads, so I hopped on Mouser and ordered a few tools (namely a pair of Plaxo component lead snips, as well as a cheap component lead shaping tool. I was having difficult shaping/bending the resistors in a consistent manner and was getting annoyed with the lack of symmetry.

Day 2: Plaxo component snips and lead shaping tool arrived. The component snips were only $8.xx and were well worth the investment, as they make it very easy to cut the leads very close to the board and in a consistant manner. The resistor shaping tool was too big for the lead spacing on this PCB, so I've resorted to balancing the resistor body on a q-tip and forming the leads by hand (disappointing but I'm getting better at it). Stopped after soldering all the resistors and inspecting the joints with a jewelers loupe and my Fluke 117.

I'll be posting more pictures in the days ahead. The one thing I've noticed so far is that the plated through-hole design of the PCB allows a lot of solder to flow through the hole and accumulate on the component side of the PCB, which is kind of annoying and unsightly in my opinion but shouldn't affect performance.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 50
Day 3

Soldered all of the diodes and capacitors. C5+ and C5- gave me some trouble since the spacing was so tight, but they should be fine functionally.

IMG_0596s.jpg

IMG_0598s.jpg

IMG_0602s.jpg

Nov 8, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 50
hey nice job on the pics.. i was thinking of doing this build too what'd you end up using for the leds and replacement of the MC7812ECT-ND since digikey no longer carries this part.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 50
to avoid solder buildup on the component side, use good flux on the pads and not so much solder (but use good quality eutectic). at this stage you could give it a quick once over with a desoldering braid to mop up excess; then reflow the joints. nice journal so far, i'm sure it will help somebody, but perhaps it would be better suited in the DIY forum

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 50
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=LM340T-12

I used this regulator as per the parts list on AMB's site (http://www.amb.org/audio/mini3/parts.html, scroll down), it's listed as an alternative. I'll pull up the link to the LEDs in my next post, I went with white and blue T1 LEDs.

Quote:
hey nice job on the pics.. i was thinking of doing this build too what'd you end up using for the leds and replacement of the MC7812ECT-ND since digikey no longer carries this part.

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 50
Nov 9, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 50
Day 4: Took care of the ferrite beads, U1 voltage regulator (only U2 remains) and the power/volume jack. The ferrite beads were pretty tricky since I'm not using a Panavise or similar board holder (might invest in one) and I wanted to make them perfectly even and straight for appearance's sake. I'm really happy they way they turned out; I used the end of a static-free cotton swab (that I normally use to clean up flux residue) to keep the bead level and elevated off of the board while I made a small tack on the other (lead) side to hold it down, and make the adjustments accordingly.

The only parts that remain now are the U2 voltage regulator (which I already bent the pins and prepared tonight, just need to go to the hardware store before work and pick up the appropriate nut/screw), headphone jacks, power jack, battery terminals (still need to order a battery) and the LEDs. I'm not ready for this project to be over already.. I feel like it has just begun!

IMG_0610s.jpg

IMG_0615s.jpg

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 50

Quote:
It looks good. Also you have just reminded me that I have a pcb and all the parts for one of these sitting in a drawer unused, I really should get around to using it. What type of solder are you using?

Thank you for the compliments. Sorry I missed your question the first time around, I'm using MG Chemicals 63/37% w/ RA core, my standard equipment.

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #12 of 50
@wompa this is a great thread for those considering a first build.  

I have been practicing soldering again and I know I need more practice before even doing this build.  

Found some of my work from years ago, it didn't look as good as yours does and my current practice work needs more practice.  

Hearing others give you suggestions helps me.

I'm taking the pressure off myself and buying an amp...but I still hope to make one of these for a friend sometime and see if I'd be up for building my own desktop someday.

Please continue to document your build...

Nov 9, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #13 of 50
Thank you for your kind words CEE TEE.

The one tool I've found to be absolutely invaluable during this project is a nice pair of needle-nose pliers. I ordered a set of Klein D335-51 pliers from Amazon and they have been immensely helpful in forming the leads quickly and consistantly. The 90* bend on the U2 voltage regulator was a little intimidating (I was worried about stressing the leads too much during forming or making them uneven) but I took my time and they came out well. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 50
@wompa, these are tools and concerns that I didn't know about so it is very informative. 

I did get some great tweezers but if I were to build enough, these additional tools would be very helpful. 

In the least, I know there will be challenges and can temper my expectations on the look of my finished product! 

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #15 of 50
@cee tee

you definitely get what you pay for with klien (and other tools of similar caliber)! a $30 pair of pliers may not fit everyones budget though, especially if you are just getting started. personally, i would suggest finding a jeweler's plier set as a starting point. $20 - $30 will land you 5 or 6 decent quality tools for multiple tasks. i find my cheapo flat nose pliers indispensable for tasks such as cleanly bending leads.

heavy stainless steel dental picks are another tool i couldn't live without!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back