My First BantamDAC
Aug 3, 2009 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ashkii21

100+ Head-Fier
Wow, I just finished my very first BantamDAC. It took me a night and a morning to complete. For troubleshooting I first I had to reflow the TPS regulators. Once I did that I had the correct voltages. Then I had to reflow the pin legs of the PCM2702 DAC chip (I had a pulsating static sound and I thought I fried the chip, but after the reflow it works perfectly). I bought the rosin flux bottle from Tangent and I bet that is what helped me with the small soldering stuff. I am using a cmoy amp for my amp. Now I just need to install ASIO (I have Windows 7 64x and the dac works but I don't think I have ASIO, I'm not sure if that is what I should use). I am coming from an onboard realtek audio (motherboard) to this BantamDAC.
ksc75smile.gif
Considering that this was my first attempt at smd soldering, I now know why it would be really hard with out flux.
atsmile.gif
Now I am at the point of which DIY project I should try building next (maybe a mini3).

Aug 3, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 7
congrats!

thats my next project.

I have a flux pen... but it expired in 2006. I'm not sure if it works that well. I am considering picking up flux from tangent as well.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 7
Ok all is working very well. I decided to try WASAPI instead of ASIO since I have windows 7 and at first it didn't work with foobar2000, but then I set the buffer to 500ms and it works perfectly.
atsmile.gif
I am so glad that I have this now, I notice the difference from onboard audio to this usb dac.

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashkii21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok all is working very well. I decided to try WASAPI instead of ASIO since I have windows 7 and at first it didn't work with foobar2000, but then I set the buffer to 500ms and it works perfectly.
atsmile.gif
I am so glad that I have this now, I notice the difference from onboard audio to this usb dac.

This is great, I just finished a bantam and was having trouble with WASAPI and here is your post, most excellent, thanks!

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 7
nice info, welcome to diy DAC b uilders team..
ya BANTAM is also my next build...

tell me ,is that PCM 2702 dac chip sensitive? ..you took grounded iron for solder?
i dont have reflow machine access... probably a better solder like WBT will not give problem even with manual assembly.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 7
finished mine too, didnt have a flux pen so I stuff some regular flux into a squeeze bottle with a small tip. IMO works better then liquid flux from a flux pen. Using mine in a carrie amp, its mini3 built to be power from usb straight from bantam dac.

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ivxoome-fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice info, welcome to diy DAC b uilders team..
ya BANTAM is also my next build...

tell me ,is that PCM 2702 dac chip sensitive? ..you took grounded iron for solder?
i dont have reflow machine access... probably a better solder like WBT will not give problem even with manual assembly.

Use flux, I prefer liquid like keyid. Also a good small gauge 63/37 eutectic will work fine, does not have to be an expensive one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back