My First (and only) Compass Problem - HDTV
Jul 1, 2009 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HD_Dude

100+ Head-Fier
Hi...

Overall, couldn't be happier with the Audio-gd Compass.

Love it, love it, love it.

Here's how I hooked it up:

PC Audio into USB.

Sony CD into Coax.

So far, so good!

BUT....when I put my Sony XBR HDTV's digital optical output into the Compass's digital optical in....I get the old 'outboard motor' flipflipflip.....just like when you try to put an old AC-3 output into a PCM decoder.

Is there a workaround?

Thanks

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 6
You will have to go into the TV's settings and change the output settings for the optical connection to an appropriate 2-channel setting, if such a thing is possible.

Jul 2, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will have to go into the TV's settings and change the output settings for the optical connection to an appropriate 2-channel setting, if such a thing is possible.

X2

The Compass is a 2 channel decoder and it doesn't have the ability to down-mix 5.1 materials.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Nor can it accept DD or DTS encoded data streams. Look in the cable menu or the tuner menu and see if you can change the digital stream to pcm or the receiver set to something that outputs regular digital.

The other option is running an analog line level out to your Compass analog line in. You then use the Super switch to disengage the DAC section and listen that way.

Peete.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 6
That all makes perfect sense. Yes, it's a 5.1 signal.

I'll hook it up via analog outputs. That will be fine.

I mean, it's TV.

The DVD's will still be routed though the Coax output of the sony CD/DVD...

So let me re-phrase. It's not a Compass problem...it's operator error: trying to make the Compass do something it's not made to do.

I remain impressed by the Compass...quality, quality, quality.

Thanks

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 6
Oh No I understand you meant no slight to the Compass...just glad to offer some solutions you can use.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back