I guess whatever floats your boat!

I ordered the handles from Newark p.n. 16F2000

Jul 31, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #17 of 30
IMEP, nice work on the amp.
By the way, what gain are u using?And what phone are u
using it with?

I also have a Meta amp, but i'm not sure how to add in
the crossfeed. I'm using SR-80.
How do i go about to connect the switches with the board?
I've gone thru tangent's site but i'm still blur.
Can u help? Thanks.

Aug 1, 2003 at 12:57 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by danlaix
IMEP, nice work on the amp.
By the way, what gain are u using?And what phone are u
using it with?

I also have a Meta amp, but i'm not sure how to add in
the crossfeed. I'm using SR-80.
How do i go about to connect the switches with the board?
I've gone thru tangent's site but i'm still blur.
Can u help? Thanks.

Thanks danlaix,

My gain is set @ aprox. 10.5

Right now I'm using Koss KSC35's

As for the crossfeed, I relied on Tangent's website and also Chu Moy's article at HeadWize.com (Tangents site has a link).

I'm not sure what problems you are having wiring the switches? Be sure you are using DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) switches (they have 6 terminals). Many switches have markings that distinguish the termininal functions, otherwise use an ohm meter. One way to think of it is that half the switch (3 termininals: On-Common-On) is one channel and the other 3 terminals are used for the other channel.

I'm not sure if this is your problem or if I explained this well.

Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

Aug 1, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #19 of 30
Wow, that's a beauty. Congrats to your 1st DIY amp.

Can I ask you how much you paid on all the parts? Would you mind to list them including where you got them?

I know some parts need to be purchased from Tangent. But it is a headache for me as I am a newbie to DIY too. So I would like to clone yours
biggrin.gif

I have a HD590 and plan to upgrade to HD600, so impedance would be different.

Thanks.
Roy

Aug 4, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #20 of 30
i have a question,
how do you poke a hole to put in the knob and stuff? what tool do you use?
i plan to make a Meta42 in a serpac case, but i don't know how to poke a whole in the case and put in the switch and what not..

Aug 4, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by xlifez
i have a question,
how do you poke a hole to put in the knob and stuff? what tool do you use?
i plan to make a Meta42 in a serpac case, but i don't know how to poke a whole in the case and put in the switch and what not..

I used an ordinary everyday drill for all of the round holes. I used a milling machine and a file for the rocker switch's square hole.

Aug 4, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Roy2001
Wow, that's a beauty. Congrats to your 1st DIY amp.

Can I ask you how much you paid on all the parts? Would you mind to list them including where you got them?

I know some parts need to be purchased from Tangent. But it is a headache for me as I am a newbie to DIY too. So I would like to clone yours
biggrin.gif

I have a HD590 and plan to upgrade to HD600, so impedance would be different.

Thanks.
Roy

Thanks for the complement Roy.

YGPM

Aug 10, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by IMEP
My gain is set @ aprox. 10.5

I wonder if that gain with the crossfeed be enough for a 300ohm Sennheiser like the HD580 for instance. I heard crossfeeds eat gains for breakfast like crazy. Anyone?

IMEP, excellent nitty work there. Now I kinda have the idea who to run to to do my PPA.
biggrin.gif

Gus

Aug 11, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #24 of 30
Which mill do you have?

I have a very rugged drill press (Delta Rockwell, all iron) and have been considering an indexing table for it. A mill would be wonderful, though.

Aug 11, 2003 at 2:31 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by gus_tavo
I wonder if that gain with the crossfeed be enough for a 300ohm Sennheiser like the HD580 for instance. I heard crossfeeds eat gains for breakfast like crazy. Anyone?

IMEP, excellent nitty work there. Now I kinda have the idea who to run to to do my PPA.
biggrin.gif

Gus

Gus,
Thanks for the complement.

I would think a gain of 10.5 would work with HD580's. I think gain is a compromise. It depends on how loud you want to listen to your music and how much "noise" you are willing to also amplify. I would experiment with different gain settings to get the best compromise for your personal tastes. Just my thoughts! Anyone else?
IMEP

Aug 12, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Voodoochile
Which mill do you have?

I have a very rugged drill press (Delta Rockwell, all iron) and have been considering an indexing table for it. A mill would be wonderful, though.

I don't actually own a mill (Very-Very Expensive!). I do have access to one at work though. It is a bridgeport with digital readouts. They definitely are nice for doing case work.
IMEP

Aug 12, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #27 of 30
Ouch.
I was hoping you would say something like "I bought a used Unimat xx.xx for a few hundred and it's excellent!
frown.gif

Thanks for sharing, though. i do know a small-time machinist with a Bridgeport, maybe I need to visit him sometime with some drawings.

Aug 12, 2003 at 2:55 AM Post #28 of 30
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Very Nice Mate.... Very Nice...

Armers

Aug 13, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Voodoochile
Ouch.
I was hoping you would say something like "I bought a used Unimat xx.xx for a few hundred and it's excellent!
frown.gif

Thanks for sharing, though. i do know a small-time machinist with a Bridgeport, maybe I need to visit him sometime with some drawings.

I have used heavier drill presses in the past with a twin axis feed. It works well on aluminum and no larger than .250 endmill. The chuck arbor will typicaly need to be locked severely for rigidity. Chatter can be bad on these setups if you do not bolt everything to hell. Increase Tool speed to max and use cutting fluid. A slow feed speed helps too. Thin Hammond end plates are easy to do this way. If you plan on a bit thicker face and rear plates you will need to plunge only about .05 per pass.

Good luck,
B_D

Aug 14, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #30 of 30
Thanks BD, I have been scoping out an indexing table... it seems workable for simple IEC openings, etc. It's a rugged older press (does an excellent job with a mortising chisel housing attached), so I think I can secure everything enough to avoid chatter. The quill is beautifully snug in the head- it has nice adjustments.

Thanks for the tips.

Apologies for the thread sidebar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back