My FireFox is running like #%^@!
May 10, 2007 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

archosman

Songs From The Crystal Cave
For some reason my Firefox browser is running like crap as of late. I'm on a 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4, got 2 gigs of ram, I've defragged-run Tech Tool Pro and it still has been loading like molasses. I've ended up going back to Safari at the moment. I don't really have that many extras on mine, I've downloaded the latest and copied it over the old one... and no luck. I'm at the end of my rope.
mad.gif

Any suggestions?

May 10, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 25
Why are codenames always so much ****ing cooler than the product names. CPU cores and car designs are perhaps the BEST examples of this.

On the topic, I've noticed my firefox hangs on a few sites recently for no obvious reason Ive not changed anything and the site hasnt changed. WebCT is the worst offender.

May 11, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by slug4life /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try downloading an optimized version here.

Firefox isn't optimized for the Mac. I believe that Firefox 3.0 (Codename "Minefield") will be. You could always try Camino.

Thanks for the link. The funny thing is it's only been within the last 3 weeks that it's been giving me fits.

There's no possibility that my hard drive may be crapping out is there?

May 11, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link. The funny thing is it's only been within the last 3 weeks that it's been giving me fits.

There's no possibility that my hard drive may be crapping out is there?

The only way I know to check would to be to go into Disk Utility and check the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive.

Have you tried completely uninstalling Firefox (using something like Appzapper) and reinstalling it?

Perhaps some more advanced Mac users would be able to help...

May 11, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 25
Is it only on this site? Because this site is crapping out on my in Safari, Opera, Camino, and Firefox.

If not, then yeah, use Appzapper to remove Firefox and try out either Camino or Opera as a backup browser. There's a little app called SMARTreporter that sits on your menu bar and tells you the status of your drive.

You could also try repairing permissions if that hasn't been done already.

May 11, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 25
For me, Firefox has been hit-or-miss in terms of performance. It really does depend on the website, especially if the content is really intensive.

May 11, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 25
Firefox ran really badly for me when I used Adblock and left Firefox open for days/weeks at a time. Switching to Adblock Plus and occasionally closing *all* Firefox windows helped the situation a great deal.

This was on Windows, so I can't claim it will work on a Mac. But there's a good chance it won't hurt.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason my Firefox browser is running like crap as of late.

That's a feature.

Switch to Opera.

May 11, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdelayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a feature.

Switch to Opera.

Here comes the Flame Wars again!
rolleyes.gif

May 11, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are codenames always so much ****ing cooler than the product names. CPU cores and car designs are perhaps the BEST examples of this.

On the topic, I've noticed my firefox hangs on a few sites recently for no obvious reason Ive not changed anything and the site hasnt changed. WebCT is the worst offender.

I have also noticed a tendency to freeze (on a temporary basis, not a full on lock up) with certain websites in recent builds. It was never a problem until say a month or so ago. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon...

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdelayer
That's a feature.

Switch to Opera.

Here comes the Flame Wars again!

I'm not going to bite...this time.
tongue.gif

May 11, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdelayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a feature.

Switch to Opera.

Errr. Opera IS firefox. (and IE combined) Right?

You can switch between the 2 but it will not be any different for as far as the handling of (X)HTML goes. That is for as far as I know, but please tell me if I am wrong about all of this since I would definitely like to know.

May 11, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Because marketing people get hold of a product that had a cool development code name and try to make it appeal to as broad a cross section of the purchasing public as possible. I think minefield is cool but there will be people in our society who find it offensive or insensitive etc.

They will probably give it a fancy ass name like Clermeil (Haitian god of flowing waters).

May 11, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rymer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have also noticed a tendency to freeze (on a temporary basis, not a full on lock up) with certain websites in recent builds. It was never a problem until say a month or so ago. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon...

this is exactly what I've experienced...

Using BonEcho at the moment and it's a significant change for me.

Noticed a majority of my problems on Fark.com and a little trouble with eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back