Spocks Beard The Kindness of Strangers

...off the top of my head.

Jun 2, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
06 Hum - DOWNWARD IS HEAVENWARD
07 The God Machine - SCENES FROM THE SECOND STOREY
-jar

AND HOW!!!!! Other picks are good also, I'm just surprised to see these two. Any idea of you have the HDCD version of Hum's DIH?

Jun 2, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #18 of 49
My copy of Downward is Heavenward is also HDCD. I thought they were all like that? I'm not at all familiar with this technology. Does it just apply to the way the vocals were recorded/mic-ed?

Gotta love "If You Are to Bloom" - Great track!

Jun 3, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
My copy of Downward is Heavenward is also HDCD. I thought they were all like that? I'm not at all familiar with this technology. Does it just apply to the way the vocals were recorded/mic-ed?

HDCD discs have an extra 4 bits encoded in addition to the normal 16. But you need an HDCD player to play it, if you use a regular player you just get the regular 16 bit sound. If your player was HDCD compatable it'd have the HDCD logo on it, and would have an indicator light to tell when it's playing an HDCD encoded disc.

What makes you say yours is HDCD? Does it have the logo on the disc's package, or the disc itself? Just wondering b/c mine version is not HDCD. The only reason I believe it was produced as an HDCD is that it's listed on hdcd.com.

Jun 3, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #20 of 49
Opeth - Orchid
Opeth - Morningrise
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Opeth - Still Life
Death - Symbolic
Death - Human
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanaas
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Burzum - Filosofem
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Ulver - Bergtatt
Amon Amarth - The Avenger
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick
Morbid Angel - Covenant
Morbid Angel - Domination
Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle
Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante
Mr. Bungle - California
Therion - Vovin
Deicide - Once Upon the Cross
Deicide - Serpents of the Light

I'll add more if I remember.

Jun 3, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #21 of 49
Add
Kyuss- Blues for the Red Sun
and
Queens of the Stone Age- Queens of the Stone Age
to that already extensive list (which already contains alot of my favs), please
icon10.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #22 of 49
I was mainly into mainstream artists back in the 90s.

1) Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
2) Smashing Pumpkins - MCIS
3) Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream
4) Alice in Chains MTV Unplugged
5) Radiohead - The Bends
6) Radiohead - OK Computer
7) Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
8, etc) a bunch of Green Day, Sarah McLachlan, etc. Most of the "top 10".

Jun 3, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #23 of 49
Slanted and Enchanted - Pavement

Mezzanine - Massive Attack

Deserter Songs - Mercury Rev

Wilco - Summerteeth

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

Boards of Canada - Music Has a Right to Children

Stereolab - Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements

Air - Moon Safari

Bonnie Prince Billy - I See a Darkness

Ágætis Byrjun - Sigur Ros

Scud Mountain Boys - Massachusetts

Red House Painters - Songs for a Blue Guitar

Jun 3, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @
AND HOW!!!!! Other picks are good also, I'm just surprised to see these two. Any idea of you have the HDCD version of Hum's DIH?

Yes, mine is HDCD. Haven't been able to make use of that fact, but I love the way the album sounds anyway! Have you heard Matt Talbot's post-Hum band called Centaur? Check 'em out..

-jar

Jun 3, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Yes, mine is HDCD. Haven't been able to make use of that fact, but I love the way the album sounds anyway! Have you heard Matt Talbot's post-Hum band called Centaur? Check 'em out..

-jar

Yes, 'In Streams' is really good. Do you know if they've released anything else?

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #26 of 49
I missed the 90's in terms of music. I'm totally serious. I'm just now catching up. This thread should prove to be a big help to me once I've had a chance to digest some of it.

I do have a handful of the albulms mentioned here, but in the 90's I started fade away from the music scene which I had been into heavily from the early 70's to the mid 80s (classic rock era). There were lots of other things going on in my life during the 90s. Since the beginning of the 00s, I've gotten back into music, but mostly jazz, blues, reggae, some classical, world music, so going back to the 90s to play a bit of catch up could be fun.

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @
HDCD discs have an extra 4 bits encoded in addition to the normal 16. But you need an HDCD player to play it, if you use a regular player you just get the regular 16 bit sound. If your player was HDCD compatable it'd have the HDCD logo on it, and would have an indicator light to tell when it's playing an HDCD encoded disc.

What makes you say yours is HDCD? Does it have the logo on the disc's package, or the disc itself? Just wondering b/c mine version is not HDCD. The only reason I believe it was produced as an HDCD is that it's listed on hdcd.com.

Thanks for the HDCD info.

I might be wrong, but I just assumed mine is HDCD because it says on the back of the packaging it says "HDCD® and High Definition Compatible Digital® Are Registered Trademarks of Pacific Microsonics, Inc. Patent No. 5,479,168"

Nothing shown on the actual disc itself though.

Jun 3, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #28 of 49
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple

all though Im a big jazz fan, this album was the bomb for me. I still listen to it.

Jun 3, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #29 of 49
Indeed the 90s were an awesome decade for music, my favs:

OK Computer - Radiohead
The Bends - Radiohead
Mezzanine - Massive Attack
Unplugged In New York - Nirvana
Blood Sugar Sex Magic - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Ben Folds Five - Ben Folds Five
Bjork - Homogenic

Just to name a few!

Jun 3, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I might be wrong, but I just assumed mine is HDCD because it says on the back of the packaging it says "HDCD® and High Definition Compatible Digital® Are Registered Trademarks of Pacific Microsonics, Inc. Patent No. 5,479,168"

No, you're not wrong, that means it's HDCD. My copy and the two others I've seen around here don't have that, and mine doesn't read as HDCD in my player, so there are two versions... maybe a Canadian/American thing or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back