My Father In-Law Passed Away And I Got This
Jun 13, 2008 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Listen2this1

100+ Head-Fier
In late December my faher in-law passed away from throat cancer, damn cancer
frown.gif
He was in my life for a little over than seven years. He was very quiet but I seemed to open him up. We had alot in common. We looked over the builds I was doing ie: Millett Max and Mini³. So in the last month my family has been cleaning up, he was a collector, and found many things to my suprise. He never mentioned that he had these items. tucked away in a back room in the garage. I wish we would of been able to talk about this stuff ealier in our relationship.

Help me out. I know what everything is I just don't know how to use it or find out what the specs are.

I am trying to find all of the pieces to make a Starving Student Millett out of this stuff.

library2716qs8.jpg

library2721yy6.jpg

library2722hs3.jpg

library2729ll9.jpg

library2723cr1.jpg

newik5.jpg

Some nice project boxes.
library2731wq6.jpg

I believe this is to measure Power Transistors. How do I use it?

library2736pt3.jpg

library2737ee8.jpg

Jun 13, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 9
So sorry to hear about your loss!!
Sounds like he was guiding you the way that a father guides his son but not trying to take over!!
letting you make mistakes but show you the way!!
might be the vodka but this is most emotional post ever read anywhere and makes me feel like phoning my dad especially this close to fathers day!
Good luck on your build man!!

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 9
My dad left me boxes of camera gear and negatives / slides from his time in the Air Force in the 1950's. I wish we had looked through them together and talked about what they were. Bowel cancer took my Dad nearly 2 years ago now, still hits me hard at times, but at least I have stuff to remember him by.
Old men and their collecting, eh?

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 9
Here's how to figure out the resistors:

clr_code.gif

The capacitors should have their value listed on the side. Same with the tubes and other goodies.

So sorry to hear about your father-in-law's passing. Too bad you couldn't have spent more time with him building projects. He was a radio guy, wasn't he? That looks more like radio stuff than hi-fi, but there is overlap and you should be able to use quite a few of those parts.

I think it's great that you're going to use his parts and tools to keep building. I am sure he would be happy to know you're doing that.

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Uncle Erik you are right. He worked for the FAA for 35 years or so. He was been there for the conversion from analog to digital.

So I bought a while back a organizer for all of my extra parts from my builds. How should I go about organizing the resistors. I think it is to much to organize by every value. Should I use a range of values?

Anyone know how to use the tester?

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 9
Sorry to hear about your loss!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hopefully you find what you need to build some nice gear though..

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 9
So sorry about your loss ... clearly, this was someone still in the prime of life.

If you don't have a use for the items and some DIY builder(s) or MOTs do, perhaps you could list them all, and auction/sell with the proceeds going to Cancer research or any other charity that Father-in-law would have wanted. I'm sure other headfi members with EE knowledge would help you out.

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #8 of 9
Listen2this1, you father in law was way-cool in my book. I am sorry that you didn't get more time/chances to share with him.

I can't tell the markings clearly, but it looks like the transistor tester is intended to be used with an oscilloscope or somesuch as a curve tracer (to plot the transfer curves of the device).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back