my extremely short dt880 v. hd650 review
Mar 28, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #31 of 78
I've never heard the HD 650, so I have no idea how good it sounds compared to the 880s, but I would have to disagree with your build quality comments about the 880s. The 880s are built like a tank, and I would not be afraid if it dropped on the floor. Nothing creaked when I wore it either.

Mar 28, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #32 of 78
Having the 650, I can understand the comments of dano1122 on the DT880's build. It's a relative matter, I think. I was impressed when I first opened the 650's box because of its 'monolithic' build.

JensL, the DT880 being, as you say, more 'fun and alive' in the balance may make it seem more detailed than the 650. But speaking of sheer resolution (independently from the balance), things may be the other way round, like dano1122 himself said ?

Mar 28, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #33 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Having the 650, I can understand the comments of dano1122 on the DT880's build.

well... i simply don't understand the logic behind such statements...
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #34 of 78
Sorry... I meant... the DT880 looks very well built also. I'd have to have some complaint on the build of my 595 if I thought otherwise.
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #36 of 78
Well, neither of the two seems to have any real flaws in their construction. Alright?
icon10.gif
(thus it seems not the heart of the matter to me)

Mar 28, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #37 of 78
Imagine an eight foot drop to a concrete floor with both headphones. I'd be willing to bet that the Beyers would survive with little or no damage. I doubt the same can be said of the Senns. I think some are confusing "pretty" with build quality. No doubt the Senns win in the beauty department, but in this case beauty really is skin deep. They are primarily painted plastic. By comparison, the 880 is almost mil-spec.

Mar 28, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #38 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
JensL, the DT880 being, as you say, more 'fun and alive' in the balance may make it seem more detailed than the 650. But speaking of sheer resolution (independently from the balance), things may be the other way round, like dano1122 himself said ?

When I talk about details here, I don't just mean how much microdetails they can find in the extreme upper highs, but how much details I can hear from the whole soundstage.
There are huge amounts of great details found in the mid- and lower ranges too.

The over-popular midbass hump almost always cover up some details somewhere in the frequency range. It isn't very obvious, but if you take your time and compare closely, it's quite easy to hear.
I find more details in the music using the DT880 than the HD650, also in the highest ranges, but that is not as apparent as the rest of the spectrum.

A widespread misconception about the DT880 is that it lacks bass. The DT880 actually got more bass than most phones, but because it doesn't accentuate the midbass like so many others, it's perceived to be lacking.
There are very few phones that goes as deep as the DT880 with the same control and lack of effort.
I haven't heard a headphone where it is as easy to pick out details in the lower ranges as with the DT880.

You need to get used to sound in the DT880, and lots of people won't ever like it, but for those who do "see the light"...it's extremely rewarding.
biggrin.gif

And again: It's all about synergy.

As for the build quality, the HD650 might be a little more refined and artistic, but more solid or durable than the DT880? No way.
I think the DT880 is slightly more comfortable to wear, but it's close.

Mar 28, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #39 of 78
Build quality of both phones is pretty close, both being some of the better/best overall in comfort, design, etc. The case on the HD650 is a bit more useful.

If I had to pick, I'd pick the HD650 (well I guess in a way I already have picked) but it wouldn't have to do with build quality comparison. There are things I like better about the DT880 build, especially when they do away with the coiled cord. Its probably the DT880 that would incur less damage from a drop, but its a moot point for me since I'd not want to drop either regardless.

There are some annoying parts of the Senns that rub against each other, like side to side swivel and height adjustments (rubs on the inside of the headphone). Of course any mechanical movement will incur wear and tear, but the Beyer is 'simpler'. In anycase both are pretty well-tested designs and builds with slightly different paintjobs or finish, and both companies produce phones that still function fine after a decade so although one's *impression* of build may differ significantly, I seriously doubt either to be any much better or worse. In fact its probably the Beyer that comes out looking like new after years because of a simpler design and no paint job to wear off, etc.

Mar 28, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #40 of 78
Somebody compared the DT880 box to a cookie tin and that is somewhat true. The box really isn't that tough or anything, but it really is a nice touch. Beyerdynamic ought to install a little light inside though, because that was what I was expecting when I creaked it open for the first time
biggrin.gif

There's nothing at all wrong with the build quality and I agree with the comment above that people are mixing up build quality and prettiness. I do like the aluminum headband and all, but that's personal preference.

Mar 28, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #41 of 78
interestingly enough this thread deals more with the aesthetical aspects of the cans and even the cases they're delivered in than with their sound. it's a tight race...

Mar 28, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #42 of 78
just to revise my earlier opinion, i still feel the same way. they are both very nice headphones, and it's worth mention that the 880's are 100 dollars less then the 650's. i will burn the 880's in all day with while i'm gone and report back tonight.

Mar 28, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #43 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL
You need to get used to sound in the DT880, and lots of people won't ever like it, but for those who do "see the light"...it's extremely rewarding.
biggrin.gif

I'm certain it is: it's a great phone without a doubt. But remember, many music lovers seem to have "seen the light" coming to the 650 as well...
icon10.gif

Me being one. And being not the type who wants a 'sophisticated' sound, but the type who worships the 'monitor' kind of sound, which the HD650 delivers so well to not make me wish for any different signature, more highs, less midbass, anything such.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL
As for the build quality, the HD650 might be a little more refined and artistic, but more solid or durable than the DT880? No way.
I think the DT880 is slightly more comfortable to wear, but it's close.

Personally, it's really not the ephemeral thing of the more glossy finish and refined design to catch my liking in the 650. It's handling and mostly hearing it.
smily_headphones1.gif

It rather looks extremely well dampened (thus the very 'black' background), very very well sorted out in terms of wearability, and those slender 'full open' grilles, while not providing outstanding shock resistance
icon10.gif
, are certainly helpful for the transparency of the sound.
I nurse my beloved audio things much more than they would need, so I'm sorry I'm not enabled to provide a 'dummy test' for them.
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #44 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by txa
I would expect 595 listeners, who like the 650 but 595 more because of tonal balance, will REALLY appreciate the 880. It has tonal balance of 595, but sound is more refined and delicate with blacker background. Midrange is most neutral of all cans, so it may be described as not as intimate as 595 or 650, but nonetheless, very engaging, especially given the rest of the presentation.

Oh noooo ... conspiracy to get that alum box !!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the well thought out persuasion txa. This is too much for a 595 weakling. Off to recharge my senn-power.
wink.gif
With remaining charge I can still say that to those who hear thin bass on 595
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

600smile.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #45 of 78
I'm just in the wake of buing one of theese phones so I dropped in to do a vs search, and look what is the hot discussion thread of the day (week/month?). How convenient
icon10.gif

I have only heard the 650's (on a copland cdp + Jeez, amnesia just struck me, you know that tube amp that Pink Floyd used to pair with his 501, but the newer more boxlike version) and i found the slight midbass hump to be present.

I'm probably biased because i own the dt831 which are a bit too bright and lacking in bass (at least relative to the highs because there is a solid bass if you crank them up). The 650 were also compared with a quite costly speaker system with the same midbass conclusion regarding 650. I don't know if it is appreciated here, or fair, to use speakers as reference but they were there so I did!

Without getting into detail and to my ears I found the 650 a better phone than the 831 (to no surprize). I can't audition the 880 here so i think I'll just order them with a return posibillity. If they are like the 650 without that midbass and the soundatage of the 831 but less sharp, it sounds like I could like them. But first I will follow this thread with interest
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back