My experience with vinyl vs. cd
May 17, 2007 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73
As detailed in this thread here, I finally bought a vinyl rig and started collecting records a few weeks ago. The rig is a vintage SOTA Star Sapphire Series III, vintage Fidelity Research FR-64fx arm, new Benz Micro Glider L2 cart, and Dynavector P75 phono stage set to Phono-Enhancer for low output MC. The table (no cart included) cost quite a bit more than your average vintage SOTA - $2K; the premium comes from the Koa wood chassis, the nice arm, and the services of the small local hifi shop - AudioAtlanta. I think, all in all, this setup was well worth the asking price. I also think that price-wise, it poses a fair comparison to many of the various digital players I've owned or auditioned.

Also, since I've had this table for a while now, it's finally appropriate to gush...

I never (for any serious duration) agreed with the source-first mantra that keeps getting repeated here like, well - a broken record. Look at my digital source history; it's a series of upgrades followed by downgrades:

cheap DVD player > RME PAD > cheap DVD player > Jolida JD100a, Bel Canto DAC2 > Meridian G08 > Sony SCD-1 > Denon 3910

I climbed the digital ladder fast, and also auditioned numerous modded players and DACs, but became disenchanted with the (IMO) killer diminishing returns effect. By the time I reached the G08 level - sure it was the best digital sound I've had - but at $3.4K it was at least a mild disappointment for the improvements rendered. I didn't have the enthusiasm or spare change to pursue any higher rungs of the digital ladder, so instead I backed off. When I went from the G08 to the SCD-1 and then 3910, I felt that I wasn't missing much. I'm not disputing that the G08 might represent a huge, worthwhile improvement over the $1K/$2K sources to some folks - however, it didn't improve the aspects of sound that are most important to me, and overall it failed to bring me much closer to the music.

Back to the source-first thing - the result of my digital player experiences was that I couldn't understand the importance of source in the chain. No way was the player nearly as important as headphones, or even amp. Now with analog, my eyes have been opened somewhat. In the recent Reimyo CDP-777 thread, the OP mentions that he'd rather listen to HD650 w/ Reimyo than the L3000 w/ Rega Saturn. For the first time, I can relate a little. I'd now have a tough time choosing between the HD650+Zu w/ my SOTA versus the L3000 w/ any of the digital players I've owned. With vinyl, the HD650 opens up renders a sense of space like I've never heard it on a digital rig. Of course, the L3000 sounds better with the SOTA, too
wink.gif
On the flipside - if you'd ask me to choose between HD650+Zu w/ Meridian G08 versus L3000 w/ a decent $100 soundcard, I'd hastily pick the latter
wink.gif
Vinyl is the most substantial improvement in musical enjoyment I've had since acquiring the L3000 & SDS. Vinyl excels at bringing me closer to the music.

Of course the vinyl vs. CD debate gets extremely complicated by the issue of what master was used, etc. For me, that fact remains that a lot of the music I like was rock music recorded in the 70's & 80's - so the vinyl was pressed off masters that were more likely to be fresh, analog, and unprocessed. Most of the 60-70 LP's I've collected the past month have been used and from this time period (another bonus - it's cheap and abundantly available!). However I've also recently picked up Tori Amos's new American Doll Posse vinyl - I think we can assume the master is digital - and the vinyl magic is definitely there. Overall, I've yet to run into a dud LP. As long as the're clean and relatively free from scratches, they've all sounded anywhere from slightly (but still appreciably) better to WAY better than their CD counterparts, when applicable. The tonality of bass is more natural. Drums, especially, have a presence and body that's lacking on digital. During loud, busy passages that are often compressed on CD, vinyl is noticeably more resolving and dynamic. Yes, the noise floor is there. You can plainly hear it during soft passages. To me, it's inconsequential; the meat of the music is what matters. If you need dead quiet, then vinyl is NOT for you.

So there you have it - I'm well on my way to becoming a full fledged vinyl junkie
biggrin.gif
Wish I'd started sooner, but I have to admit I was scared off by all the stories of setup headaches, vinyl degradation, cleaning hassles, and having to find/buy most albums used...not to mention the usual "digital has finally progressed beyond analog with the new <such_and_such> player" arguments. Well, it's all damn well worth it to ME! I'd strongly encourage others who might be thinking of making the plunge to do so, and to invest seriously in the hardware, setup, and cleaning supplies - but promise not to buy up all the good used LPs
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 73
It is great to read about the enjoyment someone is getting out of vinyl. I would like to add that the selection of music available on vinyl, especially on the used market, is far different than at your average record shop. I have discovered lots of music that I would otherwise never heard without my turntable. I also must recommend a title. Die Rohre-The Tube on Tacet. I heard about it at the AA. Here is the description from Acoustic Sounds(no affiliation):

The title of this record is The Tube because they used tubes every step of the way. From a Neumann M49 (tube mic) to the tube mixer and amplifier to a Telefunken M5 tape recorder and finally mastered with tubes. Throughout this gatefold album there are many beautiful pictures of the vintage recording equipment used on this recording with explanations of the pain staking processes they went through to achieve the great sound you will hear on this album.

It is a great "showcase" record and I guaranty it will sound kick ass on your setup.

May 17, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 73
Thanks mulveling for the very entertaining and thoughtful personal editorial.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the meat of the music is what matters.

Is a great line, and idea, and one I've tried to keep in mind when trying to decide what to keep and what to let go.

May 17, 2007 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is a great line, and idea, and one I've tried to keep in mind when trying to decide what to keep and what to let go.

Nostalgia does get in the way when trying to dispose of surplus gear. I got 2 tuners, 1 amp, 3 power amps, 2 pre-amps and a few other odds and ends that are not wired up but that I refuse to part with. Never mind they cost me about U$5K when new. If you find a cure let me know. I need it!

May 17, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 73
mulveling,
excellant article and you did'nt try to get 'something for nothing' when you finally decided to enter the vinyl world.

Yes the source is of prime importance, until I bought a Japanese DD superdeck, from the early 80s' I simply would'nt/could'nt accept this argument.

Do not overlook the importance of the phono leadouts from your deck. Knowledge of just how important these and other I/Cs are was to a large extent overlooked until recently. I only use solid core wire now for all my wiring. My Kenwood KD990 used silver solid core for the arm wire but stranded for the phono/outs - I changed that for mil. spec. solid core silver/plated copper and obtained far more clarity and 'involvement'.

So you have found that for a reasonable financial outlay that vinyl can and does sound better than digital.

You probably don't need me to tell you that the digital thugs will be out in force soon, telling you that your wrong, deluded or, their favourite - because you've spent the all that money 'you have to believe it's better' - yeh right!

To all those who want to input positivity or intelligent questions into this thread - please ignore the thread crappers, if we do, like a fart, they won't linger long.

If you like what you hear through cans, you simply have to listen through decent speakers as well.

A lot of people swear by the old MC - Denon 103, I reckon a far better bet for those getting into vinyl is the MM - Pickering XV-15. It's cheap and does everything the 103 does but I reckon better and is a whiz to set up and has the advantage that you don't have to spend out on MC step-up Txs before you are ready and you may well find that you don't want to as this MM is so good.

Jwilldermood - what an superb rec. this Tacet LP is. Everyone who enjoys vinyl, old timers as well as newbies really should buy it. It does'nt matter if you don't like classical - just listen to all that is there musically and you will know exactly why so many prefer vinyl over digital.

Re. s/hand vinyl - it was the nature of things in the 60s' & 70s' that many rock/R&B/Reggie LPs' did'nt always get the physical respect that they deserved, ask your fathers/grand/fathers what I mean and they will tell you why. Also many re-issues are not that good, as always - caveat emptor - buyer beware. Some newish vinyl pressed on 180g is very good indeed - Sarah Mclaughlin/Janis Ian. Check out the issuing label first is always the best bet.

Classical s/hand is/was so cheap in the UK in the 90s' that I put together a really good collection for mostly 50p (£1=$1.98) each and I'm talking Decca/RCA/DG etc. Maybe it is different in the States - quien save?

Jazz - ECM from Europe, mostly v/good pressings, Koln Concert/Keith Jarrett apart. USA/straightahead Jazz - Atlantic/ Funk - CTI - brilliant music, well recorded, so many more labels - do not rule out mono recordings, they can blow you away with their sound.

Basically anything up to 1981 was all analogue, very importantly especially the cutting heads, after that digital gear creeps in but still very good recordings made and as before with analogue - the producer and recording engineer can make or destroy a recording.

Don't expect to much if you buy cheap. Try s/hand first.Try Direct Drive. The original Technics SL120 will not dissappoint. If you find speed stability problems - there are two adjustable pots inside the chassis, use a quality spray oil on these and it should be easy to to acheive stability.

I'm a great fan of Japanese DD super decks, for me they are worth every penny and the first shock is the silent running, the total lack of rumble and what is absolutely crucial - speed stability.

This last point cannot be stressed enough. Most quality DDs have this and most belt drives never did. Today there are a few belt drives that do have this stability but they ain't cheap.

Many swear by Idler drives - it takes a lot of work and money to get them up to scratch, not least important is a CLP - constrained layered Plinth or hugely expensive slate plinths - not for the beginner I think.

It's always nice to buy new, pristine etc - we all love it but if you want real value for money, look to buy s/hand and research all aspects of vinyl replay, boring I know but quality research pays in any field of endeavour - oh yes don't forget - it's all about the music - enjoy the vinyl experience.

May 17, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 73
backup LP in CD... and make the compare test.
you will be able to hear the difference?
rolleyes.gif

PD: It is great to read!
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the noise floor is there. You can plainly hear it during soft passages. To me, it's inconsequential; the meat of the music is what matters. If you need dead quiet, then vinyl is NOT for you.

When you get to the stage where you need to retip the Benz, or feel the itch to upgrade check out the Dynavector carts which have a very good reputation for diminishing background noise and will of course be a perfect match for your phonostage.

Personally I agree with you that on balance a little background noise pails into insignificance compared to the improved timbre and dynamic resolution of vinyl, however another strength of the whole analogue replaying system is the small tweaks you can make to fine tune the character of the sound to suit a particular recording dependant on your specific set up.

For instance the ability to change to a different cart / headshell / mat etc.

May 17, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 73
Very interesting read... I've always wanted to take the plunge and invest in a vinyl rig. It's nice to know that I don't need to spend > $5k on a digital setup to enjoy the music!

May 17, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 73
Great story and writeup!

I remember when I rejoiced over being free from the drudgery that was vinyl: cleaning, storage, stylus checking, tonearm balancing, keeping the kids away from the rig, etc. CD's were so much more convenient, and they could be used in those new portable thingies or *gasp* THE CAR! The sound quality was good, and there were no more tics and pops. Now I equate this conversion to microwave food. It's a lot less hassle and it does fill you up, but... I'm glad I kept the turntable and the best of the LP's.

May 17, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 73
Though my investment has been slightly less than yours in entering the vinyl world, I echo many of your thoughts.

In the limited time that I've had my first turntables I've been very favorably impressed with the sonic improvements I've heard on my speaker rig (a lowly pair of antique KEF bookshelves running off a Yamaha 2 channel w/ built-in phono stage)

I'm definitely looking forward to getting a headphone rig put together once I get new headshells and carts
rs1smile.gif

May 17, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 73
Great write up. I really enjoyed your take on the ongoing debate.

When I started listening to music the choices were vinyl and tape, and I collected albums like a madman. It really took me a long time to transition over to CD. I think I didn't start collecting until the mid 90's. So while I would never argue that CD is even nearly as good as vinyl, I do almost all of my listening while I'm working at the computer. The convenience of having my entire library ripped and immediately accessible is something I can't personally give up, even for the amazing improvements in SQ.

Just have to try and get the best out of my compressed digital rig.

May 17, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #12 of 73
Very nice post & great read, mulveling! Thanks!
Always good to hear of someone dicovering the sheer pleasure of good vinyl.

Damn, but I must get my Linn out of storage! Heck, it's only a divorce...
wink.gif

May 17, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #13 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Stuart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You probably don't need me to tell you that the digital thugs will be out in force soon

That is rather uncalled for. While I am a digital fan I appreciate that some folks prefer vinyl, I do not hate vinyl, in fact I have made several useful contributions to TT/Vinyl threads for newbies, so please dont go characterising people who prefer digital as thugs.

May 17, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #14 of 73
Great write-up!
biggrin.gif

I have an idea about going vinyl myself, and reading about happy switchers from digital to analog source enforce this idea. Hmmm...

May 17, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 73
Excellent little story regaling us with your adventures in the world of analogue. I'm happy for you that its giving you so much enjoyment in your music.

Next stop, reel to reel.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back