My experience with the UE 6000 now I want to return them
May 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kingofthecrate

Head-Fier
So obviously I am a new booty here but I am not stranger to the world of fidelity and have the sickness of gear purchases every time something tasty comes along but I wont bore you all with my gear list, just my thoughts on the UE 6000 noise canceling head phones and although I will probably get flamed for this, I will mention it anyways.. 

I bought the UE 6000's after hearing them at the local best buy. To my ears compared to what they had at their listening stations sounded the best and no I didn't audition them from their noisy demo box, I pissed off their employees and unplugged each headphone as I demo'd them directly into my cMoy BB amp with LOD to my ****ty pod which is all flac files converted to crapple lossless.

Now I will be the first to say the DA of the ipod sucks harder than the 3 girls held in capture by that looney in cleveland but the amp helps clear up some of the mudded yuck that comes out of that thing.. 

After letting the cans sit off the ipod on passive mode for a duration of 40 hours I figured that was enough to consider a decent burn in time... My flight leaves in 36 hours from purchase so I had to go put these things to the test..

I guess all the reviews are similar to that signature V sound with the noise canceling/amp switch on which bumps the bass and highs and gives you that club sound when listening to jiggy baloney hip hop or any sine waved bass ended music be it garbage dub step or  flying lotus. 

I was happy with the sound of these although I didn't hear much of nuances that I could from my Ascend sierra towers being juiced by my lovely sunfire amplifier in my home theater set up but I figured these cans colored the sound and probably werent designed as much for detail as they were for making your head bob because they sound good enough to forgive the fidelity of them.. 

so now onto the flame session which I am sure you all will probably hate me for this. A fellow musician friend of mine brought out his RME UCX ADDA interface so we decided to listen to flac files out of that thing with its very very decent DA conversion out of the headphone amp and I was a bit more impressed with the 6000 (mind you I own a pair of custom fit UE dual driver IEMS that have had to be rebuilt twice because the drivers keep blowing and my latest hoorah was I accidently washed them in the washing machine.. my bad player) ANYWAYS... I look over to my right and he has a pair of these ableplant lynx head phones that he has explained to me he's has warrantied over 4 times cause they keep breaking and let me tell you, they broke while I auditioned them and they have the worst build quality but I will say this.. They sounded better than my UE 6000.. I know I know, you're thinking how can those cheap POS's sound better, well they did.. I A/B several tunes that I am familiar with and went back and fourth between to two and the sound definition was less muddy and allowed separation to prevail in these cans.. Now I will admit, I would never buy a pair because they are built like crap but for them to sound better than my UE 6000 has made me decide that give or take pushing my budget up 100 bucks that there has to be a better sounded can out there than these that can offer the comfort (although I still find myself taking a break from these after an hour or two and they tend to get hot around my ears) I have a large head with average size ears.. 

So now I am off to searching again and I have considered a few other options but I did like the fact that these emphasize the bass and I didnt notice THAT much mid loss but after eg'ing them on my laptop still using my external amp, I have found a sweet sound in passive mode that I am content with, but I think there are cans out there with better separation and a better sound stage.

Not to say these are bad, because they are a very good set of cans, I just think if you are already swinging 200, you can expand your budget and find something better, and thats what I plan to do now.. I just dont have the means of auditioning a bunch of different headphones (even though I live in los angeles) or maybe Il repaid my IEM's and go back to in ears since the only reason I went up to a over the ear headphone was because somebody stole my futuresonics and I was pleased with those even though they didnt do a great job with separation either..

So I guess this was my own personal opinion on these as well as a open forum to allow for suggestions. I know there are more threads talking about the UE 6000 but they all have people praising them to where I think there is something better out there within this price range that will give you better sound staging and separation with instruments.. 

I have considered the following

AT mh50
MadDog Mr Speakers since people seem to highly rave about them
Focal Spirits
Vmoda 100 (although some reviews said they seemed to emphasize too much low end which compressed the mids)

or I dont know.. I listen to mostly indie, rock, electronic, with sprinkles of jazz and r&b here and there but its mostly rock oriented. but I do like a colored sound which will give me that low end that tickles my ear lobes from that air moving..

May 29, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 9
That is an interesting take on things. It is nice to hear someone with an experience other than being blown away.

I am curious though. Initially you sounded like you hated them and then you followed up by saying that they were really good. Which one is it?

May 29, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 9
Never said I hated them because I didn't. I was just disappointed that a pair of poorly made able planet lynx headphones had more detail and clarity with tighter bass than the UE 6000 which made me feel that for 200 bucks you could spend more and get a set of cans that would deliver more detail. I think anyone would be happy but these things are taking any awards for a 200 set of noose cancelling cans, that's for sure.

If I were purchasing cans I would look at others before I decided in these

May 30, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 9
Ok. Thanks for clarifying

If you could go a bit further, do you believe the Lynx cans to be good? I would assume that because they were better than the UE6000 and you liked the UE6000 that the Lynx would them be great by transitive property.

I guess I am just not understanding your logic here.

May 31, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 9
Sennheiser momentum. oh yeah. They are a bit bass light to me btw, but i'm borderline basshead so take my word with a grain of salt. Otherwise its the M-100

May 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #6 of 9
The Lynx sounded better than the UE there is no question about it however, they are so poorly made that you will lose your mind sending them in for warranty replacement even though they are great about warrantying their product. I gave up on over the ear cans and wen back to in ears. I enjoy the sound isolation better and I can get away with keeping my music playing for the first and last 20 min of my flights. something i could NEVER do with cans on..

Are you in the market for cans? 

May 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Sennheiser momentum. oh yeah. They are a bit bass light to me btw, but i'm borderline basshead so take my word with a grain of salt. Otherwise its the M-100

I've heard various opinions that the m-100 were way bass heavier. Thats great if you are killing your brain cells with skrillex but not so much on other genres of music. I considered the m-100's but I decided on going back to in ears and haven't been happier.. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 9
I am currently searching for a new set of cans. Specifically a closed full size. I bought the UE 6000 but can't stand the colored sound and lack of something that I can't pin point. Going back and forth from those to my Vmoda m80 there is no comparison.

Love the Vmodas except for the semi-open on ear design. Also could use a touch more bass. :)

I guess the next logical step would be the m100....

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I am currently searching for a new set of cans. Specifically a closed full size. I bought the UE 6000 but can't stand the colored sound and lack of something that I can't pin point. Going back and forth from those to my Vmoda m80 there is no comparison.

Love the Vmodas except for the semi-open on ear design. Also could use a touch more bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess the next logical step would be the m100....

I haven't heard those but from the camp around here, they have more of a "fun" sound. to me "fun" is more bass heavy which made listening to certain genre's of music not "fun" at all.. 

went back to in ears. I am happy with my triplefi's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back