My Etymotic er6i Earphones Have Arrived!
May 3, 2005 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

smsmasters

100+ Head-Fier
OMG, what can I say, coming from a SONY EX71, the Etymotic er6i earphones are sooooooooo. OMG, I can't describe it. It's like a damn earplug, all sounds are isolated, it's unbelievable!!! And, OMG, the sound is so CRISP!!!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
But one thing, I agree, there is less bass, and it kind of hurts when I stick it right into my ears, like virginial penetration, and I can feel the pressure in my ears when I stick it in... But overall, I'm happy!!!

OMG, I love it!!!
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

EDIT: OMG, there is bass but it's so much more defined and there is less sibilance and less harsh highs than the ex71s. Music has never sounded so good!
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 27
One ironic and unfortunate fact of higher end audio is that as you increase the resolution of the audio signal, you essentially magnify the flaws inherent in the signal. Things like tape hiss and MP3 compression artificacts become more apparent.

Nevertheless, continue to enjoy your ER-6is. Learn to listen beyond the flaws in the source and enjoy the enhancement to the musical portion. Etymotic products specifically are very revealing of the source. Their resolving powers have earned them their reputation. To use an analogy, some diehard coffee drinkers like to drink their coffee black to best appreciate the bean while others prefer a cream and sugar modification. The Etys are like black coffee.

I have the original ER-6s so I understand the positive reaction you are having. In a strange sort of way, I accept the magnification of the flaws in the source as part of the experience. I like hearing into the recording and the ER-6s let me do that, flaws and all. You'll also hear limitations of your source device if, for example, you were listening through a generic PC sound card. That's just the reality of higher fidelity and why many seek to find the best source devices, amplification and cabling whether paired to higher resolution headphones or loudspeakers. Even so, the ultimate limiting factor then becomes the recording itself. Once your able to hear those flaws and are sure thats where they are coming from you know you've got some high quality audio gear.

May 3, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinchyCM
hiss? are you using an ipod? because i could hear the HD spin up for teh first second or two on the 6is when i had them... and the 4ps... i can hear it with the shures too. are you using crappy mp3s?

No my mp3s are high quality around 192kbps +. I only hear hiss on some mp3s, I think maybe the noise floor is higher in some songs... But anyway, overall, I'm pleased. Yes I have and iPod Photo.

May 4, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 27
May 4, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 27
I'm Glad you like it.... I really enjoy mine. My only gripe Is that I have some crappy MP3's that I need to weed out and replace. Recently I got the Shure soft sleaves for my E2c and for a little different sound I lisen to them as well.
etysmile.gif

May 4, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by smsmasters
...and it kind of hurts when I stick it right into my ears, like virginial penetration...

whoa there. try to keep your feelings rated PG
cool.gif

May 4, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rkawa
I'm Glad you like it.... I really enjoy mine. My only gripe Is that I have some crappy MP3's that I need to weed out and replace. Recently I got the Shure soft sleaves for my E2c and for a little different sound I lisen to them as well.
etysmile.gif

In some songs, hiss is noticeable with some fuzziness observed in the higher frequencies... It's quite annoying, but the detailedness makes up for it...
tongue.gif

May 4, 2005 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 27
I totally agree on your sentiments on the ER6i smsmasters, they really are quite incredible, eh?

I don't really notice an excess of sibilance (it's nowhere near what is present on the Grado SR125's + Bowl pads), but I do notice the high noise floor, that hiss that some people hear with their tracks. I believe it's due to the fact that the ER6i is very low impedance, and therefore won't resist the audio signal. Like the ER4S, if you add on resistance by using something like the adaptors that Xin makes or the P>S adaptor, you might notice that in addition to the music suddenly getting quieter, the noise floor dissapears. If you add on an amp to drive the ER6i at this point, my theory is that you'll have the next best thing to the ER4 series(S, perhaps?). Of course, I haven't tried it yet...

etysmile.gif
Abe

May 4, 2005 at 10:46 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by smsmasters
After trying it on my iPod Photo 40gb, iPod Mini 6gb and iPod Shuffle 512MB, the shuffle sounds better!
frown.gif

It should, the shuffle has the best opamp/cap/resistor combo of the bunch. I've heard that all next gen iPods are going to use that setup for their output stages. Too bad I prefer iRiver, meh!

biggrin.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back