My Etymotic earphones have snapped?!
Jan 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Perplexed

Head-Fier
Hi.

I own Etymotic MC5s, and I was using them as normal, took them out of my ear, and noticed that the left earphone had come apart. I checked the right one, and sure enough, that one had too. The wiring still seems intact (I think) as I can hear music coming out of the tips if I hit play - how would I go about repairing it? Super glue? Electrical tape?

^ Here is a picture of my earphones. The line where blue joins black is where it's come apart.

Thanks.

Jan 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 6
Contact Etymotic customer support.  

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 6
Try contacting Etymotic first. If you can't get it help from them, then superglue it back. We did have a few reports of the MC series housing comes apart in the forum.

Oh, don't use cheap superglue, try 3M or UHU if you can find them.

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Try contacting Etymotic first. If you can't get it help from them, then superglue it back. We did have a few reports of the MC series housing comes apart in the forum.

Oh, don't use cheap superglue, try 3M or UHU if you can find them.

I assume the superglue won't mess up anything inside the housing? Or will I have to be super careful? :S

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 6
Cheap superglue tend to be very runny and that's where you might run into trouble. The key is to apply only a small amount and wait for it to be semi-dry before gluing the two parts together. 3M sells a gel form of superglue under Scotch brand and that's the best kind for this type of application and it won't run at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back