"My Era of Music Was The Best"
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #61 of 89

Quote:

I'm going to strongly disagree with that statement. I'm 23 and much of what I listen to consists of bands from the late 60s onward. Rush, Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Kansas (pre Monolith) and many more are all classics. It probably also helps that I'm a huge fan of classic prog, especially Rush. On top of that, I grew up listening to what my dad did so I think that helped. The 80s and 90s had their notable mentions too but not as much as the 70s. However, I'm going just say this generation has the worst music in my opinion as much of it lacks substance. I personally can't stand screamo, modern pop and rap and it feels like those are the dominating genres. At least around here they are. 

But ultimately, to each their own. As I said above, this is my opinion but I strongly feel that this generation is lacking. 

i hope you don't consider this proof positive of your supposition.

1. everybody already knows beggars banquet and back in black and dark side of the moon are great albums.  there is an accessibility to them because of that.  we are all exposed to them, and either consciously or unconsciously our musical tastes form from the feedback around albums that we already "know" are great.

2. new music doesn't benefit from this built in cache.  at the time, you don't neccesarily know which album is going to be the band's best. likewise you are often not even exposed to a ton of great bands.  tons of incredible releases don't get recognition initially.

3. when you gravitate towards a particular musical archetype (say you grew up on 70s rock), you tend to judge all other music based on how closely it sounds like 70s rock.  its not hard to see where this thought process leads.  

4. if you like rock then you're s.o.l. because rock music isn't generally played anywhere unless its 20+ years old or industry-manufactured crap like nickelback, daughtry, etc.

5. being cynical and hating on new music categorically is a part of modern youth.  its a right of passage, and everybody goes through it.  the people who really love music will eventually seek it out and be rewarded.

i'm 23 also.  i cut my teeth on zeppelin, the stones, jimi hendrix, the animals, etc.  some of the best music i've heard in my entire life has come out within the last two years.  the world didn't end when i wore out physical graffiti.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #62 of 89

Quote:

i hope you don't consider this proof positive of your supposition.

1. everybody already knows beggars banquet and back in black and dark side of the moon are great albums.  there is an accessibility to them because of that.  we are all exposed to them, and either consciously or unconsciously our musical tastes form from the feedback around albums that we already "know" are great.

2. new music doesn't benefit from this built in cache.  at the time, you don't neccesarily know which album is going to be the band's best. likewise you are often not even exposed to a ton of great bands.  tons of incredible releases don't get recognition initially.

3. when you gravitate towards a particular musical archetype (say you grew up on 70s rock), you tend to judge all other music based on how closely it sounds like 70s rock.  its not hard to see where this thought process leads.  

4. if you like rock then you're s.o.l. because rock music isn't generally played anywhere unless its 20+ years old or industry-manufactured crap like nickelback, daughtry, etc.

5. being cynical and hating on new music categorically is a part of modern youth.  its a right of passage, and everybody goes through it.  the people who really love music will eventually seek it out and be rewarded.

i'm 23 also.  i cut my teeth on zeppelin, the stones, jimi hendrix, the animals, etc.  some of the best music i've heard in my entire life has come out within the last two years.  the world didn't end when i wore out physical graffiti.

Please don't misunderstand my position here. I do try to give everything a shot but perhaps you're right, expanding my taste more couldn't hurt. However, I do speak only for my personal experience. My library largely consists of older music. However, though my personal taste is somewhat narrow, I don't toss something aside simply because of the year it came out or who made it. I don't strictly listen to music that came from that era. 

But I do completely understand your point as I share your views on other subject matters. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #63 of 89
Not trying to derail here, but to those defending modern music, would anyone care to actually list some current bands that they would consider to be "good?" I have tried searching for some of these obscure bands you all talk about, but honestly I haven't found anything worth giving a second look.

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #64 of 89
Agalloch
Alcest
Arcade Fire
A Silver mt. Zion
Balmorhea
Explosions in the Sky
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Hash Jar Tempo
Magnolia Electric Co.
Múm
Neurosis
Sigur Rós
Sophia
The God Machine

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #65 of 89
Quote:
Not trying to derail here, but to those defending modern music, would anyone care to actually list some current bands that they would consider to be "good?" I have tried searching for some of these obscure bands you all talk about, but honestly I haven't found anything worth giving a second look.

suggested albums (assuming you are just into rock/pop and not hip hop at all)

m83 - hurry up we're dreaming
beach house - teen dream
sigur ros - ( )
radiohead's entire catalog
st. vincent - strange mercy
deerhunter - halcyon digest
yeasayer - odd blood
youth lagoon - the year of hibernation

you can stream most of these and they are pretty much great for anybody.  of course there are a lot more esoteric works that are breathtaking as well.

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #67 of 89

Quote:

Depends on what you want. What have you tried so far? What bands do you listen to now?

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #68 of 89

Quote:

The White Stripes
The Black Keys
Dead Meadow
Dungen
Radio Moscow
The Secret Machines (well, the first two records)
The Black Angels
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Spindrift
The Golden Animals
The Warlocks
Black Diamond Heavies
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Comets on Fire
Darker My Love
The Crocodiles
Flat Duo Jets
The Go
The Heavy
The Kills
The King Khan and BBQ Show
Kinski
The Psychic ills
Serena Maneesh
Sleepy Sun
Spacemen 3

Well, that's who i like nowadays. And most of 'em are making music currently.

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #69 of 89
I'll add Interpol, The National, The Shins and Arctic Monkey's to the previous lists of worth while modern music.  As others have said, Arcade Fire stacks up well against anything past or present.

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #70 of 89
Zits 02/10/12

369538.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #71 of 89

Quote:
Please note that artists like Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Adele etc. do have some talent. They're just using it to make ****ty music. That's not their fault, pop music is an almost scientific industry only concerned with what the majority of US inhabitants want. 

If they make as you say, sh**ty music, then that would be a reflection of not only their talent, but their inability to communicate the emotional core of their art. The possession of  the latter I would consider an integral part of what might be considered the "talent" of a performing artist. 

There are always at any time the presence of artists, who are able to breakthrough the constrictions of society and culture. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #72 of 89
Haven't found a generation of music that didn't have something I didn't like. There is so much variation in music, it's impossible to judge the quality based on the radio, tevevision, and "what's hot". Not to say all mainstream is bad, but generally the best music you'll find is downstream.

Feb 11, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #73 of 89

Quote:

If they make as you say, sh**ty music, then that would be a reflection of not only their talent, but their inability to communicate the emotional core of their art. The possession of  the latter I would consider an integral part of what might be considered the "talent" of a performing artist. 

There are always at any time the presence of artists, who are able to breakthrough the constrictions of society and culture. 

Given that those artists usually do not write their own songs, I'd say it's not their fault. If I would be making the money they are making at the moment I would not care for a second about communicating the emotional core of my art. I'd sing all the lame songs the record label gives to me.

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #74 of 89

Quote:
Quote:

Given that those artists usually do not write their own songs, I'd say it's not their fault. If I would be making the money they are making at the moment I would not care for a second about communicating the emotional core of my art. I'd sing all the lame songs the record label gives to me.

The mass produced cookie cutter formulae you speak of has what to do with art? Such performers who do not write their own music or lyrics, are singers or trained seals or whatever. They are not artists. They play for adoration, without respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back