My ER4's almost killed me!!
Dec 29, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 26
images
. . . of the girl

very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is ridiculous. It's actualy hapened to my cousin while she was waiting for me at a local coffee shop. She was sitting by the window when a car plowed in the window, the wall and a few rows of chairs and tables. According to her, it was so unexpected, happened so fast that all she could do was nothing! Some people are lucky some people are unlucky, period.

Maybe some people might have better reflexes then others but she just didn't have enough time to understad what was happening untill it was all over and done. Also proves that if you don't have an auditory warning (due to insulating IEM or a store window) you are literaly not aware of your surroundings.

Peter

wow, scary!

to be more specific, a few years ago i read about a kid who was hit and killed on his bike. yes, he was wearing his headphones, but he was hit from behind hard enough to kill him. so instead of investigating the driver, basically the parents said, "it was our kid's fault for cycling with headphones" and left it at that. oh, they added, "he loved his music."
rolleyes.gif

my point being, the second you put on headphones it seems many rights vanish.

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I drive and listen to IEMs...
...I do use them on small construction sites...
...machinery or overhead dangers...

...I've learned to be very aware of traffic in all directions and use sight even more as a defensive tool...

Dude, what are your thinking?!?!?
Your choice of places to use IEM is really... welll, to put it nicely... Acording to Darwin, the laws of nature might prevent you from spreading your genes. Sorry, there is no nice way to describe stupidity and irresponsability twards other people who are sharing the roads with you.

You only look where you expect danger to come from... When you rely on your hearing, it works regarless of where the danger is coming from. Accidents are usulay unexpected by their deffinition... Wish you nothing but the expected... but is that realistic?

Maybe it's me but I feel completely disconected with my surroundings when I listen to my ear buds too loudly. Usualy end up getting starteled by someone coming from behind. STOP endangering your life and other!!!

Peter

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... the parents said, "it was our kid's fault for cycling with headphones" and left it at that. oh, they added, "he loved his music."
rolleyes.gif

my point being, the second you put on headphones it seems many rights vanish.

Sad story... I see your point.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Dude, what are your thinking?!?!?
Your choice of places to use IEM is really... welll, to put it nicely... Acording to Darwin, the laws of nature might prevent you from spreading your genes. Sorry, there is no nice way to describe stupidity and irresponsability twards other people who are sharing the roads with you.

You only look where you expect danger to come from... When you rely on your hearing, it works regarless of where the danger is coming from. Accidents are usulay unexpected by their deffinition... Wish you nothing but the expected... but is that realistic?

Maybe it's me but I feel completely disconected with my surroundings when I listen to my ear buds too loudly. Usualy end up getting starteled by someone coming from behind. STOP endangering your life and other!!!

Peter

To be fair, there are very dangerous working environments that require sound attenuation. An aircraft flight deck or flight line, for example. I don't know about specifically the OSHA requirements for other work environments, but I imagine machine shops, construction sites, mills, and factories must have regulations or encourage people to wear devices that limit (protect) your hearing. It sounds like he's using judgement to decide when it's safe/not safe and I'm sure he's more familiar with the working conditions than you are. So, I would hesitate to pass judgement so quickly. Learning to function with sound attenuators is definitely a skill that needs to be developed, though. And while it's impossible to eliminate all risk, experience and familiarity with your surroundings can go very far in greatly reducing these risks.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be fair, there are very dangerous working environments that require sound attenuation... ... I'm sure he's more familiar with the working conditions than you are.... So, I would hesitate to pass judgement so quickly...

Did you read the part where he drives with the IEM? Where I live you would get pulled over and get fined if you are spoted by a cop. I'm sure legislators had a reason to write laws to prevent driving with head-phones on. It's his life, risks and decisions but what about the people sharing the road with him?

A question:Is he driving a car on public roads or a load lifter on the construction sites?

Dec 29, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #22 of 26
whoa letsnot get into TOO heated an argument here.

What i do, is every time im corssing a road (every time my foot toeches road pavement) one of my earcups(the one facing the road or traffic) is already slidd off to the side. it takes time o get used to it, and to be able to automatically know which side to slide off, but i got the hang of it in less than 2 weeks.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Did you read the part where he drives with the IEM? Where I live you would get pulled over and get fined if you are spoted by a cop. I'm sure legislators had a reason to write laws to prevent driving with head-phones on. It's his life, risks and decisions but what about the people sharing the road with him?

A question:Is he driving a car on public roads or a load lifter on the construction sites?

Check the laws...some states ban headphones while driving, others it's legal, others allow only one earpiece, and others do not have any form of law on the books.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #25 of 26
I've almost been hit numerous times on campus by skateboarders flying by with my IEM's in. As for car incidents:

One day, there was some sort of religious protest on campus that got out of hand so the police came. Shrugged at the scene of police cars rolling onto the quad and went to class. Was leaving my EE lab with my SF5Pros in my ears, walking to my car. I was walking down this long stretch of sidewalk in front of the library, walking right in the middle... enjoying my tunes. I must have been walking like this for the past 3 minutes. Then a guy taps me on the shoulder. I look at him and he points behind me. There's been a cop car stalking me for the past 3-4 minutes because he couldn't get around!
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Needless to say I felt stupid.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
icon10.gif
rolleyes.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Uh-oh, guilty as charged... I have to admit to driving a vehicle with IEMs also, but I only do it on weekends during longish highway trips driving an extremely familiar route. I'd also learned to keep my head on a swivel and maintain SA for all vehicles in all lanes for about 1/4 mi in front and behind (pretty much do that anyway - bay area traffic). I will also admit that after an incident in which I could not hear an emergency vehicle approach from behind, I stopped wearing them in city traffic - luckily I depend on a phone/pager during the day so I can't wear them during work hours (watch out for me if you drive norcal 680/101 from the east bay to the Salinas Valley!).
3000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back