My Emu 0404 USB arrived today
Jun 29, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #76 of 156
No, sorry if I confused you--I think you definitely should use a cable such as those sold by RAM (that use quality coax) and not an inexpensive one that might be made from shielded twisted pair cable, which is fine for audio but not for digital.

Someone else might know if this will work in conjuction with a standard RCA-to-RCA coax cable made for digital transfer:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102693

pRS1C-2264937w345.jpg

The problem is that an RCA is already not the ideal connector for digital connections due to impedance matching problems (which is why pro audio DAC's use either BNC connectors or an alternative scheme.) The Blue Jeans cable web site has an explanation of all that if you want to get into it. It may be that putting such an adapter in the X-Fi Flexijack screws things up even further.

You might want to contact Blue Jeans to see what they recommend, as they are experts in cable technology and sell high quality cables at reasonable prices.

Jun 30, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #77 of 156
sejarzo: Thanx once again, I higly appreciate your advices as I am completely new to this digital connection stuff (which you already guessed). I went shopping for this type of cable today - and it was no success again. It almost looks like such cables simply don't exist here in my location (Slovakia / EU)
confused.gif
In one shop they looked at me like on the ghost when I told them I need jack 1/8" -> RCA digital coax. Only heard about standard RCA -> RCA coax, they had few of them in decent quality like ~ 40$ for 1m long cable, which should be more than enough if only my X-Fi had RCA plug instead of jack. It seems to me that this "flexi-jack" for digital out is something very weird and unusuall, even my onboard Realtek AC97 has both coaxial (RCA) and optical out instead of one crappy "flexi-jack" !

I would also appreciate if someone could confirm that this adapter http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102693 will work for me if I buy standard RCA -> RCA coax. I was told in few shops that they use to have such adapters (but of course were out of stock right at the moment) - so this could be much easier way for me than getting whole cable with correct connectors.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #78 of 156
Finally I was able to do some hearing tests (but nothing serious), comparing my X-Fi vs. E-MU on my new HD 595 (50 Ohms) I am not going to discuss the overall SQ which speaks clearly for E-MU, however I discovered, that the X-Fi (which has no headphone amp) sounds like it has stronger bass. This was a surprise to me as I was thinking that when it comes to bass reproduction amp should make things better. After a while of experimenting I also discovered that when I used the backpanel 1/8" jack for speaker out with my cans, the bass was there - even superior to the X-Fi. This still keeps me wondering - afaik all of the analog outputs on E-MU 0404 USB use the same DAC but the difference between bass performance of the hedphone out vs. speaker out on my E-MU is very apparent. Can some other 0404 USB owners tell if they experienced the same effect ? Or what is the possible explanation for this ? Shouldn't amp help to the bass performance on cans instead of decreasing it ?

But still I have to admitt that in mids and highs amp does his work well and the sound is really awesome, especially pleasant for classical music, where the X-Fi without amp simply can not compete.

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #80 of 156
The main reason I ditched my Xfi for music was the harsh base-- so, I guess its all a matter of personal preferences. The 0404 USB produces a nice tight, smooth and very detailed base. The base from the Xfi was annoying to me, except in games and movies where I'm more focused on the sound effects rather than sound quality.

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #83 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by appletree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally I was able to do some hearing tests (but nothing serious), comparing my X-Fi vs. E-MU on my new HD 595 (50 Ohms) I am not going to discuss the overall SQ which speaks clearly for E-MU, however I discovered, that the X-Fi (which has no headphone amp) sounds like it has stronger bass..........I also discovered that when I used the backpanel 1/8" jack for speaker out with my cans, the bass was there - even superior to the X-Fi. This still keeps me wondering - afaik all of the analog outputs on E-MU 0404 USB use the same DAC but the difference between bass performance of the hedphone out vs. speaker out on my E-MU is very apparent. Can some other 0404 USB owners tell if they experienced the same effect ? Or what is the possible explanation for this ? Shouldn't amp help to the bass performance on cans instead of decreasing it ?

Yes, there is a very good explanation for this!

Note that you state "....the X-Fi sounds like it has stronger bass." And that is probably indeed the case........but what would it "sound like" if the 1/8" line output did not have stronger bass, but instead, it had rolled off highs? Actually, it would sound sort of the same. The lows would have a higher response versus the highs, and the impression would be that the volume was lower, but the bass was more prevalent. If you then turned up the level so the overall volume sounded "right", the bass would sound stronger.

The problem is that the line outputs on the 0404 USB are only designed to drive very high load impedances correctly--such as the 10,000 to 47,000 ohm impedances that are common on the input of power amplifiers or other gear. When you try to use such a stage to drive a low impedance like a headphone (even "high impedance" cans are relatively very low impedance compared to amp inputs) you create a low-pass filter.......the highs are rolled off so the frequency response is no longer flat....the lows are relatively higher than they should be versus the highs.

Unfortunately, the tech specs for the 0404 USB do not include the minimum impedance for which the line outs will provide flat response. If you check out specs on audio preamps, they often specify that the response is flat only into loads of 10k ohms or more.

And I know this not only "in theory": I tried to use my 0404 USB's balanced line outs to drive HD600's in balanced mode with a quick and dirty cable made from stereo microphone cable.....and found that first, the line outs don't provide enough power to drive the HD600's to normal listening volumes, and second--the highs were severely rolled off!

Think about this, too.....V = I x R, voltage = current x resistance. Line output stages are designed to be voltage amplifiers that work correctly into, let's say, 22.1 kohms, a common figure in the middle of the typical range. At a full scale digital signal level, the output should be about 2 volts into that load:

Current required to drive that line input= 2 volts/22,100 ohms = 0.0001 amps, or 0.1 mA.

When driving a 50 ohm headphone, that output stage is going to do its best to drive it at 2 volts, too:

Current required to drive the 50 ohm cans = 2 volts/50 ohms = 0.04 amps, or 40 mA.

In other words, when you plug 50 ohm cans into that line out, you are asking that line out to provide 400 times the current that it would normally put out to drive a typical power amp or headphone amp input. Some output stages can do it (the Benchmark DAC1 and Apogee Mini-DAC are said to be capable of that), but others just won't.

Moral of the story: Don't drive headphones with the line outs on the back of the 0404 USB. Either use the internal headamp, or route the line outs to an external headamp that is properly designed to drive typical headphone impedances.

Jul 2, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #84 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by appletree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This still keeps me wondering - afaik all of the analog outputs on E-MU 0404 USB use the same DAC but the difference between bass performance of the hedphone out vs. speaker out on my E-MU is very apparent. Can some other 0404 USB owners tell if they experienced the same effect ?

It's because you have a cable going to the 1/8 out that has different impedance characteristics thereby raising the bass.

Cables play A SIGNIFICANT amount in the sound quality department.

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #85 of 156
I am glad more people are discovering the 04040, it has a good sounding headphone amp for the money and has great flexibility.

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #86 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's because you have a cable going to the 1/8 out that has different impedance characteristics thereby raising the bass.

Cables play A SIGNIFICANT amount in the sound quality department.

I don't buy that in this case......as far as I know, appletree's HD595's have a 1/4" plug, and come with a small adapter to connect it to a 1/8" jack.

Are you saying that a short 1/8" to 1/4" adapter can cause a significant loss in highs? Pish-tosh!

The reason is that he is plugging it in to a jack that is intended to drive line input impedances, not headphones--end of story.

Jul 2, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #87 of 156
I can't believe someone would connect their headphones to the speaker line out rather than the dedicated headphone/amp out, and then not understanding why the sound is not the same
frown.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #88 of 156
1)Any issues I should be aware of using E-MU 0404 USB 2 with Windows Vista?
Anyone have any problems?

2)If I am just using to listen to music on computer with headphones is the E-Mu 0202 the same sound quality for less money?

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #89 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2)If I am just using to listen to music on computer with headphones is the E-Mu 0202 the same sound quality for less money?

0202 uses not-quite-top-of-the-line Cirrus Logic DAC, while 0404 has AKM flagship. Specs-wise, the chip in 0202 is not too far from the "big" DACs, but AFAIK no one directly compared the 2. Headamps should be comparable, unless they totally changed the amp schematic from 0404 to 0202 (doubtful IMHO)--the slight power difference (16 mW/ch for 0202 vs 20 for 0404) is irrelevant. 0404 also has much better jitter tolerance, if it matters to you.

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #90 of 156
Bah! Thanks to this thread I just ordered an 0404 USB. It should be here in a week. So much for the 0202... :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back