My Emu 0404 USB arrived today
Aug 31, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #151 of 156
I wish I had an answer for you, but because I didn't have that problem, I have no idea of what you should try now.

One thing that I forgot to mention was that my notebook does have XP MCE2005 on it, and I have read elsewhere that the pro audio community has had problems getting that version to work with various sound cards/drivers.......but, just like my desktop, I've had zero issues with 0404 USB vs. onboard sound conflicts.

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #152 of 156
It doesn't really matter because I only listen to music though the 0404 USB anyway. I love having an external sound card and not having to pull my computer out to plug something in.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #153 of 156
Just got mine today
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #154 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your set up has a volume control "downstream" of the 0404 USB, you should normally run the 0404 USB level at max and control the listening volume on the other device.

Does this apply if your powered monitors have volume control on the rear?
If so, that's a real pain to readjust each speaker, rather than one, convenient to reach dial.

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #155 of 156
Quote:

Originally Posted by jconly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this apply if your powered monitors have volume control on the rear?
If so, that's a real pain to readjust each speaker, rather than one, convenient to reach dial.

My bad, I neglected the use of powered monitors in that last statement, which sort of contradicted what I had written immediately above in the post where I first explained that. I was actually referring to the case of using the 0404 USB as a source into an integrated amp or preamp.

In your case, I'd set the monitor levels to max and control from the 0404 USB, just as if you were using the 0404 USB as a preamp into a power amp driving speakers.

In theory, adjusting the volume at the last possible point should maximize the overall signal-to-noise ratio.......but convenience would really win out in your case, and the audible difference should be insignificant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back