My ears hurt, I need recommendations
Mar 9, 2006 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

xgalaxy1

New Head-Fier
I have a set of Sony headphones I use alot. The model that is printed on the side is MDR-V600.

I bought this set about 4 or so years ago, I think it was. Anyway, I use the headphones for games mostly, connected to an Creative X-FI sound card. When I play games, I tend to play for long periods of time.

I have no major complaints about the sound quality of my headphones, however I am having issues with how they feel.

Firstly, my ears get sweaty and hot. Which isn't too bad in and of itself but combined with the next problem it gets a lot more uncomfortable.

Secondly, my ears hurt when the phones are on for long periods of time. It's not, owe I'm playing with the volume up too loud kind of hurting. It's like the edges of my ears get swore or something. I can't quite explain it. It gets so bad I usually end moving the C part off my head and listen to the phones sideways with the C resting on the back of my neck (sorry I don't exactly have the vocabulary).

Anyways, to wrap this up this set is starting to show it's age. The fake black leather wrap around the cushions and C is beginning to shred and fall off. So I'm in the market for a new set. My current set must have cost me somewhere around $100 when I bought them, I don't exactly remember. However I am willing to spend up to or around $200 to $250.

This is where you come in. I need advice on a set that will hopefully not exhibit the problems I have been having with my current headphones. General use will be for gaming. I am also a programmer by profession and listen to music pretty much nonstop for anywhere between 8 to 12 hours I am at work.

Notes for those that don't like to read:
-need new pair of phones
-my ears hurt with current set
-I listen and play games with headphones on for long periods of time
-I place comfort over audio quality but both are important

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 9
If your mostly into games scratch the 595 and go with the 555, especially since audio quality is important to you but not really, really important. IDK why it's a better match for gaming, my ears just tell me they sound better. The 555s will sound loads better than the Sony's, be hugely comfotable, and save you about $70 over the 595s. For $200 though you could get a pair of used Senn 600s which are awesome cans as well but don't know if they'll be comfortable for you since some people have complained that the 600s and 650s clamp your head too much, idk never was a problem for me.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 9
I second the Sennheiser HD555. Extremely comfy. Ohh, but the HD580 is only a bit over $50 more...

-Angler
600smile.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 9
If you ar are planning on using them at your workplace you can't beat the comfort of Beyer DT250-80(or 250) velour pads.
Take the word from fellow programmer. If you are willing to trade some comfort for SQ, Ultrasone HFI-650 TrackMaster is a better choice. And they do become more comfortable after headband break in. I listen them non stop 8+ hours each day.
Last choise for office use but first for home and overall is of course ATH -A900. These things are just plain SWEET.

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 9
DT770-80.... the best gaming headphones in that price range IMHO. You can also fit a nice amp in your budget too.

Garrett

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
If you ar are planning on using them at your workplace you can't beat the comfort of Beyer DT250-80(or 250) velour pads.
Take the word from fellow programmer. If you are willing to trade some comfort for SQ, Ultrasone HFI-650 TrackMaster is a better choice. And they do become more comfortable after headband break in. I listen them non stop 8+ hours each day.
Last choise for office use but first for home and overall is of course ATH -A900. These things are just plain SWEET.

Just FYI, the Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmaster is now the HFI-700 in the US. Just to prevent any confusion. But I second that recomendation, the Ultrasones are great phones. The HFI-550s are also good for gaming too if you want to save yourself a little money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back