My Ears feel like they need to be "popped"... is this normal?
Feb 19, 2004 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, first of all, I know that I'll probably sound like a total moron.
smily_headphones1.gif
So, forgive me in advance.

I have a question about headphone use. Since I've gotten my HD650's (and especially since I recently got my Perreaux SXH1), I have been listening to music on my headphones at a louder volume than I had been used to--it just sounds better. At lower volumes, even on the Perreaux, the music doesn't "sing"--it sounds anemic, basically.

The thing is this: almost always after a semi-long session with my cans (1 album or so), my ears feel different--like they are in need of "popping", where you would plug your nose and exhale (you all know what I mean!) My ears don't hurt, per se. Yet it's something that I wonder about in regards to the health of my hearing. I don't want to permanently damage my hearing as a result of me enjoying music!

Any suggestions, tips, guidelines, etc?

Feb 19, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 14
Yes you are damaging your ears. And unless you are listening to headphones on an airplane, while driving in the mountains, or coming up from scuba diving, doesn't seem normal to me. Although what is normal?...it is a normal tendency for people to like loud music, damage their ears, and suffer hearing damage.

Feb 19, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 14
the problem with loud is that what may be obviously loud when you first put your headphones on seems less so after a while of listening

Or put another way-you put your cans on and adjust the volume for a comfortable level and listen

then you hear a song you particularly like and turn it up just a tad

it does not seem loud and maybe it is not but as you listen your ears adjust to the volume level and sometimes you find yourself turning up the volume periodically

Thgen you yake a break , take the cans off and go do something

when finished you come back,put your headphones back on an

[size=medium]WOAH ! WHAZZAT ![/size]

that is how loud the volume truly is !

What i do is at the beginning of each listening session is put in a CD and turn up the volume as loud as i think i want to go , take note of that position then turn it down to a comfortable level

every time i have the urge to turn it up i note the volume position and remeber how loud the noted position was and suppress the urge to turn it up

works for me anyway

Feb 19, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 14
It could also be that the headphones don't sound natural to you... I've had that happen before, where the headphones sounded unnatural compared to the real world...

I wouldn't have thought so, not with HD650s, but - you never know - everyones hearing is different
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 14
More than likely you are damaging your hearing.

Your ears have an "auto-volume" of sorts for when they hear loud, damaging sounds. What happens is that a muscle pulls on the bones of the middle ear, which puts some force on the eardrum and the clear window of the cochlea to cause them to be less responsive to sound.

This is what is happening to you. You feel like your ears need to be popped because the force your body is putting on the eardrum feels similar to the force caused by changes in air pressure.

Bottom line is that you shouldn't ignore the cues your body is giving you. Turn down the volume.

Most audiologist recommend setting the volume to something comfortable as soon as you put your headphones on, then LEAVE IT THERE.

BPRJam

Feb 20, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng
how loud are you listening to them, in decibels?

if it's uncomfortablly loud then it's too loud.

maybe go to a doctor and see what's up.

does this sensation only occur after listening to your cans or do you experience at other times in the day.

I have no idea about the decibel level, and don't have any way to measure that. It is not uncomfortable to listen while I am listening at all-- I know when it is TOO lound, my ears actually do hurt. And yes, this only occurs when i'm listening to headphones.
confused.gif

Feb 20, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by BPRJam

Most audiologist recommend setting the volume to something comfortable as soon as you put your headphones on, then LEAVE IT THERE.

BPRJam

BPRJam,

thanks for the advice. The thing about it is that I have always had far-above-average hearing, and I have the audiologist tests to prove it.
wink.gif
Yet when wearing my 650's, I turn the dial up to where I think it's "comfortable". In fact, I listen to the album at the same volume the entire time. On my Perreaux, for example it happens to be anywhere from 9:00 to 12:00--for rock and classical, respectively. It seems that almost all classical recordings are recorded at lower volume levels than rock--which makes sense, given the greater soundstage.

Ughh.... if I turn the cans down more, it's not nearly as enjoyable. And that's the reason I bought this expensive stuff in the first place--to really, REALLY enjoy my music.
frown.gif

But then again... I don't want to f@%k up my hearing beyond repair.

Feb 20, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
This is the cruelest aspect of audio -- it sounds really good when it is just a bit too loud.

frown.gif
Ugh... tell me about it. And you know what sucks? Only now, around 6 hours after I stopped listening to my headphones, my ears are slightly hurting now. When I came back home from my part-time job, I was tempted to listen to some music through my 650's... but I didn't. I figured that it would be a good idea to, well, not listen. For now.

What do you (or anyone else) think is a good "rest period" from when my ears felt this strange way, to when I should be OK to listen to some more music (albeit at a lower volume)?

Feb 20, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #12 of 14
Hi, I've been following this thread because this happens to me too, although it happens more than just when I'm listening to music. Throughout the day, the "pressure" builds up and I need to either hold my nose and blow or do a thing with the back of my throat to "pop" my ears. I've had this for years.

It's rarely a problem, but sometimes my ears are at different pressures; very annoying. And also, of course, when listening to headphones with this pressure, the sound seems distant and lifeless, but when I pop my ears it sounds very clear and detailed, especially becoming clearer in the highs.

So I guess I'm asking if anyone knows what this is and if it's a problem.

Feb 20, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by xaipemw
I'm taking a stab in the dark here.... but let me guess... popping one's own ears by blowing with your nose and mouth shut...that's bad for you, right?
frown.gif

Yes, if you blow too hard. I think it's risky. I've heard lightly blowing is okay but you have to be careful or you could blow out your ear drums...maybe an expert could comment though
tongue.gif

I've had a case of ears that needed popping today. I think it's this stupid cold. I finally got them unpopped after much yawning and doing the blowing thing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back