My E500 cable broke... at a really odd place too...
Oct 11, 2007 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Rise To The Top

1000+ Head-Fier
My E500s finnaly developed the cable wear, but in a really akward place. They broke at the jack connecter, on one side.

Anyway, what is the prossess for sending them in? The only recipt I have is one from eBay. Do I call first, or should I email? Which is the fastest?

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 41
?

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 41
Read this:
http://personalaudio.custhelp.com/cg...p?p_faqid=3306

and fill this out:

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Servic...cies/index.htm

I think it's faster to look up the Shure site than to ask for help here
smily_headphones1.gif
FYI Canadians send it to the US, just in case you're in Canada for some reason.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 41
Thanks.

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 41
o, wow. I just packed them for shipping and I had to bend the cable near the earphone to put into original casing and it cracked right in half... wth.

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
o, wow. I just packed them for shipping and I had to bend the cable near the earphone to put into original casing and it cracked right in half... wth.

Looks like once the copper is exposed, it oxidates quickly...

Anybody had their Shure re-cabled with something else? I wasn't fond of the Shure cable to begin with. Any DIY pixs?
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just in case you're in Canada for some reason.

Why... what's wrong with Canada that u don't want us up there? What are u hidding eh?
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like once the copper is exposed, it oxidates quickly...

Anybody had their Shure re-cabled with something else? I wasn't fond of the Shure cable to begin with. Any DIY pixs?
biggrin.gif

There is a guy in Japan who does a recable with a UE10 Cable, I'll have to find the thread. I might send my replacement SE's over if something happens to the cable. I dont like the stiffness ofthe Shure Cables.

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 41
So what do you give Shure as proof of purchase, if you got yours new, on Ebay? Do you tell them the truth or do you tell them it was a gift and that you don't have a receipt? My E500s have a stiff cable and I'm starting to think about getting a replacement and want to know what others experiences were as far as Shure's warranty service is concerned.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #13 of 41
You can use an online receipt. If the eBay seller was an authorized dealer, then he would most likely have given your an email proof. If you bought them from a private individual then :/ slim chance for warranty usage.

Just try to keep them as safe as possible if they're not broken. No need to replace them unless they start breaking. They refused a couple of earphones for warranty because they (thought?) the cables were intentionally broken. The best way to preserve your stiff cables is to clean them frequently, because a lot of people have sweat build-up on it.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 41
I read in that really long E500 cable thread that if the cable breaks, they will replace it regardless of warranty because the issue is so common. This came directly from the Shure rep. I bought mine off of bobsound on Ebay. I believe a few people have returned their damaged headphones without problem. Who knows.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #15 of 41
I read the big thread too. Looks to me, the prob is humidity/sweat seeping through the jacket and corroding the copper. All u can do is wipe off after exercising to stave it of. Since they will replace no matter, OK I guess.

Technically, some vinyl conditioner (auto store) after wipping could help, but am just guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back