Oct 28, 2006 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

CuriousVoiger

100+ Head-Fier
crop01sy2.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3380/crop01sy2.jpg
crop02lx8.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9466/crop02lx8.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4821/crop03hd5.jpg

I was wiping the tips like I did everytime I removed them, and the stalk broke off. I was surprised, I didn't expect to break off like this -- I guess I took their robustness for granted. What's worst I was really enjoyng the sound and it ain't the same without them.

Does someone know if the warranty would cover this instance? I got them from HeadRoom. Spending another $500 for a new pair it's steep.

Oct 28, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 42
i think shure will definitely replace them.. probably doesn't cost them nearly $500 to produce, and besides that, people sya it has build quality issues. on top of that, shure is known for great customer service/warranty replacement

Oct 28, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woosh
whats that shiny white streak in the first pic? did you try to cut them open or something?

it's just the flash light

Oct 28, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 42
Haha you fool Woosh.

Oct 28, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Will you need the receipt from your purchase?

probably not... shures have a date of manufacture by the jack. it's better to have a reciept though. if you buy the player a year after it's manufactured (and lose your reciept) then you'll only have a 1 year warranty.

Oct 28, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 42
Considering that the warranty is 2 years and the E500s have been on the market for far less than 2 years, Shure won't require a receipt. You don't need to call or e-mail Shure. Just go to the customer service part of their website, print the return merchandise form, and send them off.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 42
I always worry about this happening to my e500s every time I change tips. It's such a long nozzle that it seems it has to be stressed when you do this. Luckily I haven't heard of one breaking yet besides yours. But Shure customer service is fantastic and their warranty is two years. Call them and tell them what happened. I would be surprised if they leave you disappointed.

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 42
From the pic it looks like such a jagged break , could it have been a crack in the stalk and gentle pressure of cleaning the tips made it break like that ? The stalk is plastic I take ? Hope things work out well for you.

Oct 29, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 42
If I bought earbuds for $500, regardless of how good they were, if something like this happened to me, I'd expect nothing less than Milla Jovavich to deliver replacements to me in person.

Oct 29, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #13 of 42
on insight the question is: how long before the stalks on the other E500's will break?
I'm afraid is a design issue. I must say I'm always careful with all my stuff, in particular the E500; I've never put them in a sutuation where something like this may happen.

I believe the pressure to the stalk happens during insertion; I had some issues maintaining a proper seal, which is required to fully appreciate the sound, for more than a couple of songs, and kept pushing harder and deeper (to make any doc horrified). here is where the pressure to the stalk happend I believe, I was lucky it didn't break in the ear.

nevertheless it may have been a combination of both pressures from pushing deeper and cleaning that have caused the stalk to break.

I just hope I'll get a replacement, as I can't afford another pair atm.

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #14 of 42
The ragged profile of the break suggests to me that the tubes have been stressed by rotation of sleeves when fitting to the 'phones. I have new e5Cs and must say that I was really concerned at how thin the tube wall is and the stresses encountered when fitting 'foamy' sleeves. Do you get good seals with the sleeves indicatedin your pics ? - these, to me, are really crude and too rigid - the softer sleeves I find seall great without too much pulling and hauling.

Do you screw the tips off of the earpieces every time you want to clean them after every use ? If so I am not surprised that this has happened if the sleeves are at all tight on the tubes.

Commiserations - IanR

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 42
Please let us know what happens when you send them to Shure? It would help the rest of us.

Wish you the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back