My DT770 right ear cup doesn't work for seemingly no reasons (photos inside)
Mar 11, 2021 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sustenter

New Head-Fier
Hello,
My dt770 have a bent jack, due to an accident approximately a year ago.
Since then, I had to turn the cable at the right angle (near the jack) to hear sounds in both ears, so I usually just bend the cable (again, near the jack) when listening.

I did this for a year, then suddenly the other earcup (right one) stopped working unless I also bent the other end (the one near the left ear cup) of the cable.
I don't understand why, I opened the earcups and found out that the welding of the cables look all fine, on both earcups, so is this a driver problem ? Do I need to buy another headphone instead of recabling ? I just don't think the jack problem could cause a new issue (the one with the right earcup) a whole year after it happened.

Thank you.
IMG_20210311_200600[1].jpg
IMG_20210311_200823[1].jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 7
Gotta replace that jack first. It's like telling a Dr your arm hurts because you fell on it, but don't think that the fall made your elbow hurt too. Start with the simple fix and where the evidence first points you. After that is fixed you can look into other issues.

My guess is the cables are starting to short or even be open circuit.

Mar 20, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 7
Solder joints on the drivers are fine. You may need to replace the plug due to the damage. Any experience with a soldering iron?
None, will a 5 dollars soldering iron suffice for just soldering 1 headphone never mind i bought a 30$ weller 40W soldering iron ?
How does it go, do I just heat up the steel joints, remove the cable and put back the strands of the new one ? If I put each colored strand in the same place as before, I don't need to check for continuity right ? I don't have a continuity tester and don't know how to use one so that would be a relief.

Solder joints look good on that end. Hard to say what the rest of the cable looks like. Any sharp kinks or bends?
Yes, the tip of the headphone jack.

Thank you all

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 7
You'd trim off the existing jack, leaving a little bit of cable behind it. Strip the cable on both ends. Use a continuity tester or multimeter to touch the tip, ring, and sleeve, and see which wire corresponds to each. Note which color is which. You'd then solder the colored wires attached to the headphone to the new plug.

Soldering a TRS:

You can Youtube how to use a continuity tester. They are very cheap.

How to test for continuity:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back