My DIY Gingko Isolation Project v.1
Dec 13, 2007 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nick20

Banned
Hey guys, I have been reading quite a few good reviews on the Gingko platforms and the Gingko isolation "balls".

This is a link to a little bit more information on them, for those not familiar with them. And here...

Here's some reviews:

1. 6moons audio reviews:Gingko Audio Mini*Cloud

2. gingko

3. gingko

And to purchase:

GINGKO MINI-CLOUDS BLACK (SET OF 3) - elusivedisc

And there's many more reviews around..

So, since I can't conjure up $100 for a set of three Mini Clouds, I decided to use another method.

I bought 3 Gingko replacement balls, and 3 Vibrapod "pod" isolation cup/device. This cost me a total of $38 shipped to my door for both products. So I paid more than half the price, for almost the same thing. Except I didn't get a fancy acrylic base.

The Vibrapod products get rave reviews everywhere, and I figured if this didn't work out as I planned, I would just use them under my CDP and order the Vibrapod "cones" to pair with the "pod". Well, this match of products couldn't have been any better.

And here's the end result..

The Gingko balls fit PERFECTLY ontop of the Vibrapod "pod" isolation device. I mean it couldn't be any better. It is the perfect size for these.

The Gingko balls are kind of like racquet balls, expect much heavier. And are almost solid inside. It's definitely not a hollow ball.

And two more pictures...

(I have since fixed the left rear pod. I didn't notice this until I uploaded the pictures onto my computer.)

I won't tell you some B.S. and tell you promises that aren't true, BUT I can tell you these DO work! ..and are worth the $38 I paid easily. The overall sound is improved, to a degree. I can't attest to ALL the claims about this product, but I can and will say the bass is a little tighter, the soundstage improved a little bit, and the sound is a slightly cleaner. They also do their job at isolating the component it's under. A+ product IMO, and your mileage may vary.

The amp is like "floating" on top of the Vibrapod "pods". Thus, this product/"system" isn't recommended for light products. The minimum weight would have to be around 15lbs or more. Since, I have added two, 2.5lb weights on top of my CDP since it weighs in at 9lbs, now with a total weight right at 15lbs. Now my CDP can benefit from this "system" as well. It is very secure though, and Gingko has created an exceptional product.

Two thumbs up from me!
biggrin.gif

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good thinking Nick. The Ginko balls do seem to be a great match for the Vibrapods.

They are.

I'm going to to add 3 more vibrapod's ontop of the Gingko balls, so it's more/less like a sandwhich.

Vibrapod "pod"
>
Gingko ball
>
Vibrapod "pod"

and see if that helps anything. If not, I can toss them under my CDP, which isn't using any isolation device(s) yet. I wanted to try this first, before spending more money.

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to give Herbie's Tenderfeet a try too.
They are relatively cheap and I've had great results with them under every component I've tried them with.

Thanks, but I need something with a divot so the ball won't roll around. That's why I chose the Virbapod "pods" instead of anything else.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, but I need something with a divot so the ball won't roll around. That's why I chose the Virbapod "pods" instead of anything else.
-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Nick,
I meant if you wanted to try something that didn't use the balls.
It's a lot lower profile and a little more stable (the balls are a little too wiggly for me
smily_headphones1.gif

TR

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 12
You've given me a great idea for an isolation base Nick. I didn't realise the Ginko balls could be purchased seperately. If I build a Maple platform with divits for the balls that should work well also. If not I could use the Vibrapods and balls on top of the Maple base.

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've given me a great idea for an isolation base Nick. I didn't realise the Ginko balls could be purchased seperately. If I build a Maple platform with divits for the balls that should work well also. If not I could use the Vibrapods and balls on top of the Maple base.

The Gingko balls have a diameter of 1 and 7/8". You'd only need like a 1/4" divot, maybe even a little smaller.

I paid $7 a piece for the Gingko balls.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 12
Why not just get some tennis balls, and cut them in half?

Hell, if you've got a friend that plays tennis competitively, he's probably got a huge box of tennis balls that didn't bounce enough that he'd give away. I know mine does. My dogs love me when I bring home 20 new balls to play with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not just get some tennis balls, and cut them in half?

Hell, if you've got a friend that plays tennis competitively, he's probably got a huge box of tennis balls that didn't bounce enough that he'd give away. I know mine does. My dogs love me when I bring home 20 new balls to play with.
smily_headphones1.gif

Because those are hollow, are bright green, and won't support a 20-30lb amp.

There IS something inside these Gingko balls. They are not hollow, and have some weight to them. For that reason, and they cost very little to purchase, I will continue to use them.

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because those are hollow, are bright green, and won't support a 20-30lb amp.

There IS something inside these Gingko balls. They are not hollow, and have some weight to them. For that reason, and they cost very little to purchase, I will continue to use them.

They'll support more than that. The physics department in my university uses half tennis balls to isolate instruments that are orders of magnitude more sensetive to vibration than the stuff we're dealing with (not to mention much bigger and heavier). The Cavendish experiment apparatus in particular will get misaligned if you look at it the wrong way. I figure if anyone has the money to splurge on expensive isolation devices, my university does.

Have you compared the effects of the pods and balls together versus just the pods?

Dec 30, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They'll support more than that. The physics department in my university uses half tennis balls to isolate instruments that are orders of magnitude more sensetive to vibration than the stuff we're dealing with (not to mention much bigger and heavier). The Cavendish experiment apparatus in particular will get misaligned if you look at it the wrong way. I figure if anyone has the money to splurge on expensive isolation devices, my university does.

Have you compared the effects of the pods and balls together versus just the pods?

Hmm.. now that I look at what you quoted, I had no idea, honestly, what I meant by that. I think I meant the pods, not the balls.

I have not done a good comparison yet, because my system is changing daily. Either it's new headphones, or a new IC, or a new PC, or SOMETHING, and I haven't had a chance to A/B anything. I will be adding a high-end CDP to the mix in the upcoming week.

However, I will get around to it sometime, and will report my findings a little further.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back