My dad's ancient AKG K 240DF's...
Oct 18, 2007 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

duckiedeity

100+ Head-Fier
I can't really find any info on them anywhere. I'm pretty sure they are no longer sold. They seem to be pretty decent headphones... does anyone know anything about these?

"Studio Monitors," they say.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 26
I actually just made a post (my first) about these.

The DF stands for diffuse field which means scattered sound reflections: I'm not really sure how they recreate that in a headphone. I bought mine about 6 years ago. They were a bit more expensive then the regular K240s (which is a studio standard). I got them for mixing and assumed DF would translate to more accurate then the regular K240s.

They are pretty high impedance so not easily driven by and iPod, etc. I actually like them quite a bit, but don't really have anything more "high end" to compare them to except expensive near-field studio monitors.

I hope that helps. I still have the box for them and what not if you want any of the actually specs.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 26
A picture would also be nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by speakerface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually just made a post (my first) about these.

The DF stands for diffuse field which means scattered sound reflections: I'm not really sure how they recreate that in a headphone. I bought mine about 6 years ago. They were a bit more expensive then the regular K240s (which is a studio standard). I got them for mixing and assumed DF would translate to more accurate then the regular K240s.

They are pretty high impedance so not easily driven by and iPod, etc. I actually like them quite a bit, but don't really have anything more "high end" to compare them to except expensive near-field studio monitors.

I hope that helps. I still have the box for them and what not if you want any of the actually specs.

sure, that'd be great.

as for the guy requesting pics, I only have a pretty bad camera phone right now, but I suppose I can take a pic. hang on.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #6 of 26
aren't they like 600 ohm? get an amp lol

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 26
I had a set that I sold a while back. I could never make up my mind about the sound. On some tracks I really liked them but on other they just didden't make it for me. They are the ones on the top in this picture together with a set of K271's. They are pretty hard to drive, actually the only harder phone to drive I've had is my K340 so they need an amp. They were designed in cooporation with german radio to be used in studio monitoring to produce a sound similar to what would be heard thru speakers.

143503.jpg

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #8 of 26
freq range - 15 - 20k
sens - 88dB
Max input - 200mW
Imp - 600ohms
Made in Austria

That's about all it says...Probably not going to help you much. Sonically, I think they are good - probably not great, but very accurate (flat response) and revealing. Not very forgiving if something is recorded/mixed poorly.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aren't they like 600 ohm? get an amp lol

yeah

the unfortunate thing is that the sound cuts out in one of the channels sometimes and i have to mess with the little large-to-small headphone jack converter to get it to work again

what's worse is that for some reason tonight while i was listening to music with them, the sound cut out in the channel that doesn't usually cut out, and no matter what i did, i couldn't get it to come back on

i'm hoping it's just having an identity crisis and after leaving them unused for a day or so they'll decide to come back to me miraculously

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by speakerface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
freq range - 15 - 20k
sens - 88dB
Max input - 200mW
Imp - 600ohms
Made in Austria

That's about all it says...Probably not going to help you much. Sonically, I think they are good - probably not great, but very accurate (flat response) and revealing. Not very forgiving if something is recorded/mixed poorly.

thanks for the info. i noticed they were pretty quiet even when my laptop was at full volume. i'm going to get a CMOY amp pretty soon so maybe that'll help. CMOYs probably aren't amazing but it's my first amp and it's decently cheap and will do the job for the most part, i think.

thanks to the guy who posted the pic and his experience with the 240df's

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by duckiedeity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the info. i noticed they were pretty quiet even when my laptop was at full volume. i'm going to get a CMOY amp pretty soon so maybe that'll help. CMOYs probably aren't amazing but it's my first amp and it's decently cheap and will do the job for the most part, i think.

thanks to the guy who posted the pic and his experience with the 240df's

the 240df is one of the hardest headphone to drive (just slightly better than K1000).

It is my fav cans for classical music or pure instrumental music
biggrin.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #14 of 26
Get an amp for those ASAP so you can play them at normal volume.

A decent pair is worth anywhere from $50-$120, but you should keep them, not sell them.

Oct 18, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by duckiedeity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does anyone know how much the 240DFs might cost nowadays? maybe the guy who sold his a while back, how much did you end up asking for the pair?

I bought nc8000's pair for ~45 pounds, back when the dollar wasn't so weak. I would rate them in excellent condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back