my DAC design - pup1 DAC
Nov 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #511 of 675
Hmm ... already answered a PM about this.  I think I gave the wrong impression.

A bad endplate does not ruin any of the rest of the case assembly.  When you buy these things in bulk, Hammond could care less which pieces you want - neither does the anodizer or the laser-etcher.  As far as they're concerned, their job was X pieces of metal - shaped, machined, and processed a certain way.  The replacement is simply to order and process more of the endplates.  The potential impact was really to me because the cost of the mistake is times 100 (how many cases I have invested).  Plus, it delays the date at which all of the kits will be ready - which is why I posted about it to let you all know what was going on.

So, there will be no "bad case kit" to sell or recoup - only 100 extra endplates with a laser-etch mistake.  If you want one of the bad endplates as a collectors item - I'll send you one - but it's not going to be any use beyond that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #512 of 675
Quote:
Hmm ... already answered a PM about this.  I think I gave the wrong impression.

A bad endplate does not ruin any of the rest of the case assembly.  When you buy these things in bulk, Hammond could care less which pieces you want - neither does the anodizer or the laser-etcher.  As far as they're concerned, their job was X pieces of metal - shaped, machined, and processed a certain way.  The replacement is simply to order and process more of the endplates.  The potential impact was really to me because the cost of the mistake is times 100 (how many cases I have invested).  Plus, it delays the date at which all of the kits will be ready - which is why I posted about it to let you all know what was going on.

So, there will be no "bad case kit" to sell or recoup - only 100 extra endplates with a laser-etch mistake.  If you want one of the bad endplates as a collectors item - I'll send you one - but it's not going to be any use beyond that.
smily_headphones1.gif

If we were okay with the bad end-plate, and everything else was already done, could we perhaps place orders before you get the replacements?

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #513 of 675
Quote:
If we were okay with the bad end-plate, and everything else was already done, could we perhaps place orders before you get the replacements?

What would I do with the perfectly good, correct endplates at that point?

Sometimes I think I reveal too much of the business side of things ... sorry.
confused.gif

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #514 of 675
Quote:
Quote:

What would I do with the perfectly good, correct endplates at that point?

Sometimes I think I reveal too much of the business side of things ... sorry.
confused.gif

I was thinking about that as I typed it. Well, I would love an extra end plate, I'm 100% sure I'll find a use for it... I already have some in mind...

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #515 of 675
Quote:
I was thinking about that as I typed it. Well, I would love an extra end plate, I'm 100% sure I'll find a use for it... I already have some in mind...

I will include the bad endplate as an extra in the first orders for as many that last.  The laser-etch guy has asked for several dozen that he's going to pass around as examples of his work - knowing that no one outside of this community is going to even realize the mistake, especially without the rest of the case.  That should still leave plenty to include in kits as extras for awhile, though.

Nov 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #517 of 675
hey guys just coming into this thread, ive searched but cant find any posts about when/where kits will be available. ill continue trying to find info in this thread. wanted to join the conversation as well
tongue.gif

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #518 of 675
tomb is dealing with the issue of the error on the one end plate. He has to get the new end-plates, get them anodized and laser etched. So a least a few more weeks until the kits will be ready for sale, as far as I know.

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #519 of 675
ah gotcha. i built a grubdac a while ago. while i dont actually need to upgrade or anything, i think id just like to compare sound quality. and im hearing very good things about this, so i figured id get a kit while i can!

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #520 of 675
Quote:
tomb is dealing with the issue of the error on the one end plate. He has to get the new end-plates, get them anodized and laser etched. So a least a few more weeks until the kits will be ready for sale, as far as I know.

Yes, this is exactly correct.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #522 of 675
I built the production version of the PCB just to make sure everything works:

Cobaltmute's extended pad-traces on the PCB for the PCM chips worked great!  I had no issues whatsoever and it worked the first time, every time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #524 of 675
Not quite - I believe the new endplates have shipped, but I haven't received them yet.  When I do, it will still take a week to a week and a half to get them anodized and then laser-etched.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #525 of 675
Quote:
Not quite - I believe the new endplates have shipped, but I haven't received them yet.  When I do, it will still take a week to a week and a half to get them anodized and then laser-etched.

Okay. This is shaping up perfectly! By the time that's done, and all, I will have completed my thesis and defended my MS, it'll be a little graduation present to myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back