my DAC design - pup1 DAC
Jul 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #451 of 675
Quote:
Well, I did forget to mention the difference in gravitational forces on the current.....
biggrin.gif

For the truly geeky:
Total number of pins: 257
Pins in a net: 242
Not connected pins: 15
Total number of vias: 50
Total number of connections: 194
Unrouted connections: 0
Completion: 100%
Total number of parts: 88
Total number of nets: 48

Thanks for that list of truly geeky information.  I'm one of those that likes as much "useless" information as possible. 

I'm waiting for a couple of regulators that Mouser was out of to get here from Digikey.  Then I will start putting it all together.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #452 of 675
Just an update, but cobaltmute and I are on track to build two new prototypes (changes as he recently posted) and then we're going to production.  The plans are to have full kits with custom Hammond 1455C801 or 1455C802 cases. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #454 of 675
Quote:
Fantastic news Tom. Will be be able to grab just the case/plates?

Probably.  Most likely, it's purchasing a kit without the case that will be the problem.  My experience with custom cases is that they often end up being the most expensive item and requiring a huge investment in volume as well.  For the MiniMAX kits that I sell, for instance, a manufacturing run of those cases from Lansing is the largest single investment that Beezar makes.  I simply can't afford to offer the kits without the cases.

Obviously, the little Hammond cases for the pupDAC won't be that much (I hope).  That may mean that custom machining/silkscreening is simply not practical, though - as was the situation for the plastic cases used with the grubDAC and SkeletonDAC.  We'll just have to see how the numbers shake out when I get the design finalized and start getting quotes. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #455 of 675
MrR~ FWIW the panels with custom engraving cost $38 shipped from Front Panels Express. A Hammond case is $12 plus $6 shipping at Mouser. That's $50+ for a full case.

I won't know if my measurements were 100% accurate until at least August 11th when I get back from my Scandinavian adventures. If all goes well you guys can use DXFs from my design.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #456 of 675
Well, folks - the new prototype works great (latest layout from cobaltmute above).  I had no issue at all soldering the PCM chips with the longer traces.  Offset is 2mV left and 3mV right, measured fromt the "GND" pad.  It sounds exactly the same - just as good, in other words.

I'm going to continue to fool around with it this weekend, but plans call for ordering production PCB's on Monday.  I'm also commissioning Hammond to do a manufacturing run of custom-machined cases (1455C801).  I'm shooting for blue anodizing with laser-etched graphics (that will be done locally).  The kits and cases should be reasonably priced on Beezar.

It will take 4-6 weeks to get all this done, though, so please be patient.
biggrin.gif

P.S. It took me about 4 hrs to build, working steadily, another hour to clean, and then I let it sit out in the sun on top of my car.  That quickly took care of any residual alcohol and flux.
wink.gif
  It worked the first time out and continues to play seamlessly.

Aug 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #458 of 675
Quote:
Well, folks - the new prototype works great (latest layout from cobaltmute above).  I had no issue at all soldering the PCM chips with the longer traces.  Offset is 2mV left and 3mV right, measured fromt the "GND" pad.  It sounds exactly the same - just as good, in other words.

I'm going to continue to fool around with it this weekend, but plans call for ordering production PCB's on Monday.  I'm also commissioning Hammond to do a manufacturing run of custom-machined cases (1455C801).  I'm shooting for blue anodizing with laser-etched graphics (that will be done locally).  The kits and cases should be reasonably priced on Beezar.

It will take 4-6 weeks to get all this done, though, so please be patient.
biggrin.gif

P.S. It took me about 4 hrs to build, working steadily, another hour to clean, and then I let it sit out in the sun on top of my car.  That quickly took care of any residual alcohol and flux.
wink.gif
  It worked the first time out and continues to play seamlessly.

That's one way to kill a circuit using static discharge. I admit never have thought about this method before. I might try it next time I need a fried MOSFET.

On a more serious note, have you an idea for the price of the kits yet?

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #459 of 675
Quote:

That's one way to kill a circuit using static discharge. I admit never have thought about this method before. I might try it next time I need a fried MOSFET.

On a more serious note, have you an idea for the price of the kits yet?

So, you think sunlight and a bit of heat is the same as applying current to the circuit?

I'm not sure I understand your logic - the dang thing was sitting on top of standoffs, maybe that's the point you're missing.
blink.gif
  That's OK, it's not the first time in this thread that my intelligence has been low-balled.

How much are the kits?  Your right arm will do for starters ...  Seriously, that's yet to be determined.  We're working on it.  Just keep in mind that Mullet was talking $38 just for endplates.  In my experience, we should be able to do a complete anodized case with silkscreening from the mfr for a similar or just slightly more selling price than doing FPE endplates.  We're upgrading the expectations by attempting a different color (than black or clear) with Hammond cases and using laser-etching.  Can we still meet that price goal for the cases?  I hope so, anyway ...

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #460 of 675
Quote:
So, you think sunlight and a bit of heat is the same as applying current to the circuit?

I'm not sure I understand your logic - the dang thing was sitting on top of standoffs, maybe that's the point you're missing.
blink.gif
  That's OK, it's not the first time in this thread that my intelligence has been low-balled.

How much are the kits?  Your right arm will do for starters ...  Seriously, that's yet to be determined.  We're working on it.  Just keep in mind that Mullet was talking $38 just for endplates.  In my experience, we should be able to do a complete anodized case with silkscreening from the mfr for a similar or just slightly more selling price than doing FPE endplates.  We're upgrading the expectations by attempting a different color (than black or clear) with Hammond cases and using laser-etching.  Can we still meet that price goal for the cases?  I hope so, anyway ...

Are you planning on selling full kits or could we get just the board and the case? Or am I jumping the gun by a month or so?

Aug 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #461 of 675
Quote:
Are you planning on selling full kits or could we get just the board and the case? Or am I jumping the gun by a month or so?

No, the primary thing to remember is that Beezar will only sell complete kits, that means PCB and custom case included.

However, the PCB and custom case will be available separately.  So, you could order both and then buy the parts from Mouser and DigiKey.  It's just that Beezar will not sell the parts without the case (PCB is understood).

Keep in mind that if we price things correctly, there will be no advantage to ordering the PCB and case separately - unless you're overseas and have a completely different source of the electronic parts.

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #462 of 675
PICS - not much has changed.  There are longer pad traces for the PCM chips, the RCA jacks have cutouts in the PCB for the under-tabs, the Mica capacitors have much more clearance than before, and then on the bottom - no ground plane under the opamp.

pupDAC-PCB-V2R1-top.jpg

pupDAC-PCB-V2R1-bottom.jpg

Click on these for a bigger pic:

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #463 of 675
Quote:
No, the primary thing to remember is that Beezar will only sell complete kits, that means PCB and custom case included.

However, the PCB and custom case will be available separately.  So, you could order both and then buy the parts from Mouser and DigiKey.  It's just that Beezar will not sell the parts without the case (PCB is understood).

Keep in mind that if we price things correctly, there will be no advantage to ordering the PCB and case separately - unless you're overseas and have a completely different source of the electronic parts.

Excellent, that's what I wanted to know. I have a lot of the necessary components in my parts bin or in samples, that's why I was asking.

Thanks, Tomb.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #464 of 675
Quote:

blink.gif

Nah, it's when you place it on, or take it off. Cars, with their rubber tires, are know to build up static charges. They discharge trough you when you touch the car. Don't tell me you've never had a shock when touching a car! 

My point was, when the DAC is between you and the car when these discharges happen, things can go wrong. But then I might be overthinking this. As usual... Still would not do it, though. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #465 of 675
I've been completely done with my Pup for about a week now. My measurements were pretty spot on. The USB port is slightly off on the horizontal axis, but still fits fine. The RCA holes are pretty spot on and are larger than they need to be because variations on how you solder them in. Overall, I'm very happy with this build. For those who are wondering the build cost me ~$100 for parts, panels, etc. I'm sure TomB will come in around the same price or maybe a little cheaper.

Here's a few pics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back