my DAC design - pup1 DAC
Apr 3, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #154 of 675
Yes, they make a nice little tower.Is there a way to test the chips?

ah, the (3.3) point has no voltage. I will check around that area.

NEW: Device is found. I get the unidentified device message. Still no 3.3 on the (3.3) point. I get 5 volts on pin 1 of U1, and 3.7 on the opposite pin, but nothing on the 3.3 point. Does this mean that C7 is wrong?

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #155 of 675
So you get output from the regulator, but nothing at the 3.3 point?  that is strange.

Check the resistance from 3.3 to ground. 

Also what to you get at the right side of L3 (the side away from the label) - both voltage, and resistance to ground?

Apr 3, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #156 of 675
I resolderd a bit and now for both:

Voltage is 2v

Resistance is infinite.

My pc says: USB device not recognized.

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #158 of 675

Quote:
I resolderd a bit and now for both:

Voltage is 2v

Resistance is infinite.

My pc says: USB device not recognized.

What is happening is that the 3.3V regulator is supply enough power to get the device recognized as being there, but the PCM2707 is not powered up properly.

2V is still to low.  Something is still the issue.  I would re-flow and check all your joints that are attached to the 3.3V lines.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #159 of 675

Quote:
What is happening is that the 3.3V regulator is supply enough power to get the device recognized as being there, but the PCM2707 is not powered up properly.

2V is still to low.  Something is still the issue.  I would re-flow and check all your joints that are attached to the 3.3V lines.

Been busy trying to find the short. Resistance is now 28k. Voltage is still 2. Device is still not recognized. I’m going to keep trying.

Could solder flux residue be the cause of this?

Anyway, thanks for all the help, I’ll post pics as soon as it works!!

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #160 of 675
IT LIVES!!! I

After many hours of measuring and resoldering I found that the ground conncetion for U1 was not solder properly. After doing so it magically came alive.

Can’t comment on the sound yet, I have to listed some more first. I can say that is drives my IEM and senn HD121pro simultaneously a bit to easily and is very, very loud. It can make my ears bleed!

’ll post some pics soon.

And thanks for all the help!!!

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #161 of 675
Glad to hear it works.

I've been surprised by the challenges that people are having as they all seem to be in the 3.3V section, which is essentially the same as the one for the grubDAC.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #162 of 675
Just finished soldering mine together.  The build went well for the most part except I spent some time resoldering the PCM1794 over and over until some pin finally got soldered and sound came through the output.  While I've only listened to it a bit, its much much better driving headphones than my laptop or iPad.  I've tried it with my AKG K240s (600ohm) and Grado HF2s (32ohm) and it does a great job with both.  It has a clear sound with crisp highs and some solid, full bodied bass.  I don't have my amps with me at school so I can't compare it to anything decent but it sounds good.  Kudos to cobaltmute for the great design.

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #163 of 675
As promised:

As you can see, photography is not my strong suit....

It drives my MS1 with ease, and sounds very fine. I'll listen some more for some in-depth review. My low end IEM buds do pick up a lot of static noise, could grounding the dac to a case help with this?

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #165 of 675
A couple suggestions I forgot to mention:

First, when resoldering the right side of the PCM1794 chip, I had a lot of trouble getting the pins with the capacitors in the way.  I'm not sure how critical the locations of C18 and C20 are but if they could be moved a little to the right, the pins would be much much more accessible.

Secondly, the caps for C24 and C26 on the BOM had leads that were a little too wide.  I had to force them in a bit which caused some of the through-plating to get scraped off and I was a little worried about shorting the pads to the ground plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back