my DAC design - pup1 DAC
Apr 2, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #136 of 675
Just got my board today and ordered my parts.  When I got the board today with the two chips, I realized I only paid $5CDN for the whole package.  Do I own someone another paypal payment?

EDIT: also the 1Mohm resistor spec'd in the BOM is now obsolete. I forgot to replace it with something but I'm sure I can find something that'll work around school.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #137 of 675

Quote:
Just got my board today and ordered my parts.  When I got the board today with the two chips, I realized I only paid $5CDN for the whole package.  Do I own someone another paypal payment?

EDIT: also the 1Mohm resistor spec'd in the BOM is now obsolete. I forgot to replace it with something but I'm sure I can find something that'll work around school.

No you don't owe anybody anything more for the package.

You can either try sticking a larger resistor in the holes for the 1M or you could leave the leads long on the crystal and solder the resistor to leads.

Apr 2, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #138 of 675
Ok, I am really enjoying this DAC! for the size, and price (assuming I actually had to pay for the board and chips, thanks cobaltmute and tomb!!!) this is amazing bang for buck! I am haveing a couple friends over to listen to my new Open baffle speakers and this dac tonight!

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #139 of 675
Ok, my scores are:

All measured from point to ground
(1a) = 5.11
(2a) = 0.63
(1b) = 2.47
(2b) = 0.76
(4.75) = 4.7
(2.5) = 2.45
(-2.5) = 0.76

There seems to be something wrong with the negative side.

Any ideas on where to search for mistakes or broken parts? Or do you need photo's?

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #141 of 675
I can see no clear shorts (not saying there aren't any). Are there any more measurement I could make?

BTW: I did not include the LED light ( I hate those :wink:), but I did add everything else, including the resistors next to the LED.

Apr 2, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #143 of 675
ANd I would say add photos, always helps to have more eyes.

For me the key to find shorts was to remove L3, L4, L5, and L6. That separates the power supply components from the dac (I think) and then you can see if the issue is in the PSU or the chips, mine was in the chips :)

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #144 of 675

Quote:
I can see no clear shorts (not saying there aren't any). Are there any more measurement I could make?

BTW: I did not include the LED light ( I hate those :wink:), but I did add everything else, including the resistors next to the LED.

I would double check that you got the parts in the right places.  Did you reverse U6 and U8?

What is the lettering on the top of U6?

Apr 3, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #145 of 675

Quote:
No you don't owe anybody anything more for the package.

You can either try sticking a larger resistor in the holes for the 1M or you could leave the leads long on the crystal and solder the resistor to leads.

Well a huge thanks to tomb then.  I think those two chips saved me $30 on my digikey order not to mention the time it would have taken to ship from backorder.

Leaving the crystal leads long is a great idea.  Would make a surface mount resistor possible which would be a bit cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back