my DAC design - pup1 DAC
Jan 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #601 of 675
Quote:
I used a toaster oven and did the top side reflow-style, it came out AWESOME!
I have a bridge or two, but everything is centered and straight (except U10, but it's not too bad).

I'm going to touch it up tomorrow and then get started on the bottom.

Using solder paste and the oven, the top took under 1hr to fully populate.

That's great!

Heh - the bottom is a piece of cake after the top.  Just go slowly and carefully.  The SMD caps are not hard to solder, but there are a heck of a lot of 'em on that back side and you wouldn't want to get them mixed up.
wink.gif
  Soldering the opamp will seem like soldering through-hole after the PCM and TPS chips.
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #602 of 675
Quote:
Quote:
I used a toaster oven and did the top side reflow-style, it came out AWESOME!
I have a bridge or two, but everything is centered and straight (except U10, but it's not too bad).

I'm going to touch it up tomorrow and then get started on the bottom.

Using solder paste and the oven, the top took under 1hr to fully populate.

That's great!

Heh - the bottom is a piece of cake after the top.  Just go slowly and carefully.  The SMD caps are not hard to solder, but there are a heck of a lot of 'em on that back side and you wouldn't want to get them mixed up.
wink.gif
  Soldering the opamp will seem like soldering through-hole after the PCM and TPS chips.
wink.gif

I really love the solder paste, I may actually use it with the iron. It flows really nicely. We'll see, I'm going to experiment a bit. I guess I can do the back by hand, but I'd prefer to bake it - I just don't think that will work.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #603 of 675
Another interesting use of toasting ovens!! I already used it to heat treat knife blades after quenching!!
Believe it or not, it can ALSO be used to toast bread!! :) What an invention this is!!

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #604 of 675
Quote:
I really love the solder paste, I may actually use it with the iron. It flows really nicely. We'll see, I'm going to experiment a bit. I guess I can do the back by hand, but I'd prefer to bake it - I just don't think that will work.

Would the components on the top side (flipped over) not just fall off once the solder melts?

Unless of course you own a close-field anti-gravity generator. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #605 of 675
Quote:

Would the components on the top side (flipped over) not just fall off once the solder melts?

According to scootsit, the re-melt temp is much higher, so it may not be as silly as it sounds.
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #606 of 675
Quote:
Quote:

Virgin solder melts about 200F cooler than does already melted solder. I'm thinking it's because of the flux. If you hit the reflow temp, then it probably would, though the surface tension may actually keep it in place.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #608 of 675
Quote:
Now that's interesting... I didn't know melting temperatures changed like that. Or that flux affected it. I thought the only thing flux did was clean surfaces to help solder flow on it.

I'll have to remember this one. Thanks for the tips. 
size]

It doesn't really make sense, and someone more in the know than I may have to clear that up. But, I'm assuming it's about surface area. Little metal filings will melt before solid globs will. So, I'm sort of assuming the melting point is more or less the same, but by suspending it in a fluid with a boiling point exactly at the melting point of the metal, you create a homogenized high-surface-area fluid ready to melt at the drop of a hat. A big glob needs to get much hotter to maintain a consistent temperature near the melting point, especially since there is no flow.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #609 of 675
Alternatively, and now that I think of it, more likely - the melting point of each metal (which is ground into a dust) could be one thing (low), but the melting point of the homogenized alloy could be a bit higher.

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #611 of 675
This is mentioned in the Build Thread and in the construction pages on the pupDAC website.  The line is on the same side as if there was a dot.  If you think about it, the dot is no different than a line, unless you're talking a four-cornered chip like the PCM2706/7.
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #612 of 675
Quote:
This is mentioned in the Build Thread and in the construction pages on the pupDAC website.  The line is on the same side as if there was a dot.  If you think about it, the dot is no different than a line, unless you're talking a four-cornered chip like the PCM2706/7.
wink.gif

Great, thanks! I figured as much and just built it anyway. All the SMT stuff is done, just scrubbed the hell out of it with alcohol. It's weird that the OPA2835 can't even be in humid environments before being soldered, but after it can be submerged. I guess something would crack with the heat. Anyway, I used the solder paste and basically stuck each piece in it, then used the iron to heat it. The result is that you can have the iron in one hand and the tweezers in the other, no need to hold any solder, so you can make sure each piece lines up perfectly.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #613 of 675
Hi guys, just a quick update photo as I've received the oscons for the decoupling of the DAC chip (47uF, 16V). Here's the result once mounted in place of the ELNA SILMIC II 22uF 25V I had put in place of the already excellent Panasonic FM (original kit capacitor). BTW unsoldering was quite tedious in order to fully respect the vias. This really requires a little experience, so be carefull if you ever have to unsolder through-holes components on this delicate PCB. I also had to clean each hole of solder before putting new caps with a vaccum pump.

Sounding with Oscons appears improved on clarity and depth. Rendering seems to have slightly increased in purity. The most interesting effect is the staging and space sensation. Of course at this level of native quality, it is all very subjective!! Anyway, good luck with your projects!!

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #614 of 675
Quote:
Great, thanks! I figured as much and just built it anyway. All the SMT stuff is done, just scrubbed the hell out of it with alcohol. It's weird that the OPA2835 can't even be in humid environments before being soldered, but after it can be submerged. I guess something would crack with the heat. Anyway, I used the solder paste and basically stuck each piece in it, then used the iron to heat it. The result is that you can have the iron in one hand and the tweezers in the other, no need to hold any solder, so you can make sure each piece lines up perfectly.

Actually, this has been the recommended method since day 1 - without solder paste.  You apply the solder to a single pad, first.  The you re-melt it with the iron in one hand and place the part with tweezers in the other hand.  That's fundamental with manual SMD soldering.
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #615 of 675
Quote:
Hi guys, just a quick update photo as I've received the oscons for the decoupling of the DAC chip (47uF, 16V). Here's the result once mounted in place of the ELNA SILMIC II 22uF 25V I had put in place of the already excellent Panasonic FM (original kit capacitor). BTW unsoldering was quite tedious in order to fully respect the vias. This really requires a little experience, so be carefull if you ever have to unsolder through-holes components on this delicate PCB. I also had to clean each hole of solder before putting new caps with a vaccum pump.

Sounding with Oscons appears improved on clarity and depth. Rendering seems to have slightly increased in purity. The most interesting effect is the staging and space sensation. Of course at this level of native quality, it is all very subjective!! Anyway, good luck with your projects!!

Great!  As with any DIY project, it's the tweaking that often makes it fun!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back