My DAC/Amp is underwhelming - Why?
Sep 5, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #181 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it proof what you're both here to do, the OP comes in and asks a question and you guys completely ignore him. You are not interested in an intellectual discussion on 'My DAC/Amp is underwhelming' instead you simply want to argue. You pick little segments out of what I've said and work those to death, you run right over my questions and flood this this thread with childish nonsense.

Really? What have you been doing this whole time then?

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #182 of 225
Quote:

I think it proof what you're both here to do, the OP comes in and asks a question and you guys completely ignore him.

...except for the simple fact that I already directly answered his question on page ONE of this thread. And I know you know this because this is the very post of mine that you've been quoting over and over again.

Quote:

You are not interested in an intellectual discussion on 'My DAC/Amp is underwhelming' instead you simply want to argue. You pick little segments out of what I've said and work those to death, you run right over my questions and flood this this thread with childish nonsense.

That is a perfect description of what you're doing, actually! Even casual observers are who are just reading this thread can see that, btw.

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #183 of 225
Overall, I found this thread to be pretty enlightening.

My take away from it is:

1. Spend more cash on better quality headphones/speakers,
keep other components basic & upgrade when you feel it's desirable.

2. Owning name brand equipment typically has better
quality hardware, cases, connections, perhaps lasts longer,
has fewer deficiencies, gives you bragging rights,
but audible difference will be negligible.

3. Owning higher end cables are useful for good
connectors and interesting colors.

4. Calling people trolls has become an over-used &
abused word used in attempts to trash a discussion.

5. Meets may not help you.

It's an interesting hobby.
atsmile.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #184 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmellyGas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...except for the simple fact that I already directly answered his question on page ONE of this thread. And I know you know this because this is the very post of mine that you've been quoting over and over again.

That is a perfect description of what you're doing, actually! Even casual observers are who are just reading this thread can see that, btw.

Perhaps it's time for both of you to get a life and move on. I don't think
this is going to be resolved in this thread or any other.

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #185 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps it's time for both of you to get a life and move on. I don't think
this is going to be resolved in this thread or any other.

I actually think that Twitchy_One summed it up pretty nicely in his response above.

Sep 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #187 of 225
I agree with the OP, I recently upgraded from onboard ALC889a to a Xonar DX, I'd say I noticed only a 2-5% increase in SQ depending on the song, I'm not under exaggerating here either, for $80 I expected a lot more.

The difference is comparable to a properly encoded 320kbps mp3 vs FLAC or having ASIO enabled vs not having it enabled.

But I decided I'm going to upgrade to an Essence STX, I know I'm probably going to be underwhelmed by it too but I can't help myself, I'm addicted to this hobby.

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #188 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One other thing to consider is burn-in. Electrolytic caps can take a solid week to settle down and some vary wildly while they do it. This isn't a snake oil idea - I've heard this happen many times, especially with high quality gear.

So don't jump to conclusions with new gear - give it a month and then do some blind testing with the old stuff.

You should also seriously re-consider using 320Kbps files. Re-rip a favourite CD using EAC (freeware) to WAV 1411kbps and listen to the difference. If you don't get a night and day experience then consider a trip to the doctor to get your ears cleaned. That isn't a joke but it is meant in good humor.

HD space is so cheap these days - at least go lossless.

Tom

Lol smellygas called it.

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #189 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8-bit thief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the OP, I recently upgraded from onboard ALC889a to a Xonar DX, I'd say I noticed only a 2-5% increase in SQ depending on the song, I'm not under exaggerating here either, for $80 I expected a lot more.

The difference is comparable to a properly encoded 320kbps mp3 vs FLAC or having ASIO enabled vs not having it enabled.

But I decided I'm going to upgrade to an Essence STX, I know I'm probably going to be underwhelmed by it too but I can't help myself, I'm addicted to this hobby.

Awesome. I was thinking of a Xonar DX/X-Raider/B-Enspirer, until I came here and learned about portable DAC/amps.

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #190 of 225
I went with the iBasso D2+ as well (going from onboard laptop sound) and trying it out now on winamp with kernel streaming I think the difference isn't substantial. Testing myself blindly, this difference is only noticable with some attention; choice of volume has a bigger impact. The traces of background interference are gone, the sound is a little warmer, the bass is a little clearer, and there is a little better instrument separation. Is it worth it? Maybe - but it's not like I want to tell myself it's not. In any case, all these things really only matter for good recordings.

I wonder if all the people claiming 'night and day' differences are even musically trained. Furthermore, I wonder how they account for all the other variables (ambient noise, tinnitus, duration of listening, concentration, etc) which matter much more.

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #191 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently purchased an iBasso D2 Boa, and I feel underwhelmed by its performance. Everybody that I've spoken to who have bought sound cards claimed the difference in sound quality from before and after was "night and day". One of them even owned a pair of HD555s, and got an Audigy 2ZS.

On the other hand, surely a $200 MSRP DAC/amp must have better components than an Audigy 2ZS. The Wolfson DAC surely isn't a slouch (WM8740), nor is the PCM2706. My music is all 320kbps MP3 or FLAC.

I haven't had time to go through this whole thread, but it sounds like overly raised expectations are in force. $160-200 isn't much for a DAC/amp

Quote:

Portable amps are for IEMs.
Desktop amps are for full size headphones.

Rubbish - portable amps are for less power hungry phones regardless of type. If that's the level advice offered, then everything else suggested should be regarded with caution.

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #192 of 225
I can't believe I just read most of this thread... can't you guys stop bickering already? Lol.

Ntropic, sorry to see you're not happy with the D2 Boa :/ since you bought it from me and all...

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #193 of 225
Not not happy, just underwhelmed. No fault of yours; after all, the thing is spotless. And shiny.

Quote:

I went with the iBasso D2+ as well (going from onboard laptop sound) and trying it out now on winamp with kernel streaming I think the difference isn't substantial. Testing myself blindly, this difference is only noticable with some attention; choice of volume has a bigger impact. The traces of background interference are gone, the sound is a little warmer, the bass is a little clearer, and there is a little better instrument separation. Is it worth it? Maybe - but it's not like I want to tell myself it's not. In any case, all these things really only matter for good recordings.

Sums it up well.

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #194 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntropic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not not happy, just underwhelmed. No fault of yours; after all, the thing is spotless. And shiny.

Sums it up well.

That's about it. Good amps and DACS sound better. Just not as much better
as the dollar investment. I can hear a difference in my headphone and speaker amps.
Of course, no rap or techno in my collection(old guy). The trend toward hot/compressed
recording levels ruins the effect of having good gear. Amy Winehouse is completely
unlistenable, as well as a lot of other artists. And any mismatches in gear will cause it
not to sound good. My old Gilmore Dynamic V2 sounded thin with Senns.
But with Audio Technica, whole other story. If someone here can't tell a difference,
with gear, I have no idea why not. But don't expect your cans to suddenly turn
magical in sound with an upgrade. And price doesn't always get you good sound.
Wouldn't it be great if there was a special list with dollar to sound plots
and a cheat sheet with the recommended cans, amps and DACS at each price point.
There are lists out there, but none of them seem to have the same results.
Thats because opinions are like................well, you know.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #195 of 225
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's about it. Good amps and DACS sound better. Just not as much better
as the dollar investment. I can hear a difference in my headphone and speaker amps.
Of course, no rap or techno in my collection(old guy). The trend toward hot/compressed
recording levels ruins the effect of having good gear. Amy Winehouse is completely
unlistenable, as well as a lot of other artists. And any mismatches in gear will cause it
not to sound good. My old Gilmore Dynamic V2 sounded thin with Senns.
But with Audio Technica, whole other story. If someone here can't tell a difference,
with gear, I have no idea why not. But don't expect your cans to suddenly turn
magical in sound with an upgrade. And price doesn't always get you good sound.
Wouldn't it be great if there was a special list with dollar to sound plots
and a cheat sheet with the recommended cans, amps and DACS at each price point.
There are lists out there, but none of them seem to have the same results.
Thats because opinions are like................well, you know.

I couldn't agree more. If people can't hear a difference be happy; you don't need to upgrade anymore. If you can, well, I hope you have deep pockets...cos even if you buy something 'high-end' it might not synergise with your other "high-end" gear and oh my did it cost a lot to find this out.

I sometimes read forums just to see if people say that one bit of gear works well with another so I can save myself an expense, but as you say above, "none seem to have the same results". And then of course there are the nay-sayers who say it isn't possible to hear a difference. I sometimes wonder if there is any point to all this.....maybe, included in your special list, should be the listener's most recent hearing exam results. I haven't be able to hear over 14Khz for some time. Maybe that's why I can hear the difference in gear.... hmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back