My cubicle of Post-its!
Jul 24, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #124 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you may not. If you're allowed, then -everyone- will do the same. Then there will be utter chaos and madness. Be part of the solution.

I hate being part of the solution. It's so boring.

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #129 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ate at morrisons with my mom, dad, sis, and lil' nieces. chop steak, cabbage, peppers/zucchini/onion, and mayo, iceberg, tomato salad. delicious!

you're making my tummy turn.
tongue.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #130 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this is a joke
rolleyes.gif

If not, remind me not to buy any headphone products form said trade

Insulting your potential customers who may feel differently on an issue isn't the slickest move to "financial success" but to each their own
rolleyes.gif

That's one way to look at it. I'm guessing that enough people think that a guy with a strong work ethic might be the right guy to commission work from.

But think this over and give yourself an honest answer, if you had to pay her out of your own pocket for a two week period would your opinion change any at all?

If not fine, we just disagree.

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #132 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's one way to look at it. I'm guessing that enough people think that a guy with a strong work ethic might be the right guy to commission work from.

But think this over and give yourself an honest answer, if you had to pay her out of your own pocket for a two week period would your opinion change any at all?

She is an INTERN. She most likely doesn't have the freedom to make important decisions or the power to get them done. An intern's job is to do what is assigned to them mostly. It is 100% the managements fault if she finishes her tasks within a few hours and has nothing else to do. Yes, maybe a normal employee could start on another task or solve another problem, but often, interns or temps simply don't have the power or access required to do that. Now I would never personally publicly show that I am wasting time, but honestly, 99.99999% of people waste more time than she did making post it art on personal calls, web browsing, trying to bypass web browsing, hiding in the kitchen, etc.

My father owns a company and allows employees to be extremely flexible to the point that some employees can keep their own hours. One guy doesn't come in until 3:00pm every day. As long as they get their jobs done it's fine. What's even better is that since they actually enjoy working due to their bosses trusting them and not being tight-asses, you will find them at work on any given sunday or holiday working on a project they are excited about. In their employees cubicles there are posters of cars, sports teams, family photos, etc. Technically, they were all hung on company time and on the company dime (tape, fasteners, tacks, etc). What she did is no different.

I should say though, while I don't find anything wrong with it (provided your work is done and done well), it may not be the best idea in most work environments.

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #133 of 154
This is awesome!!!

I liked your FreQ custom design! But this, this is...

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #134 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll take the team/person who gets the work done and does it first rate - regardless of whether they are post-it-arting or playing with silly putty or doing how knows what (seriously, with some of the developers it's don't ask don't tell
smily_headphones1.gif
)

If it's symptom of boredom, I'd pull them into other things provided the skill-set allowed (eg our fault).

If it's a function of creative down-time , self-expression, methods of getting stuff done and doing it well, then I'm totally cool with it (eg no fault)...

frankly, it's cool stuff - and I've been known to blow even some time nerf-warring
smily_headphones1.gif
or posting in this forum
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm probably dating myself, but I'd love to see a Q-bert post it piece!

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #135 of 154
It depends on the job, but in my current position, a bit of goofing off (like right now) makes me more productive when I'm not goofing off. My managers don't care what I do from minute to minute - they care about long-term productivity and net benefits to the organization. If I spend five minutes thinking about other things, I can come back to my work with a fresh perspective and identify time-saving strategies where I didn't see any before. Working smart is much more important than working hard in my current job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back