My cubicle of Post-its!
Jul 22, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #31 of 154
Nice art...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #35 of 154
Hard work isn't dead yet.

Work ethic I have loads of. I'm meticulous and painfully detail-oriented, maybe a little anal. I don't have any real form of corporate loyalty, but I don't like shoddy work to be associated with my name. I do a good job despite how much I hate mine.

Because it's dull, simplistic and extremely repetitive. I know I'm not applying myself as best I can because the job just sucks the life out of me. I need to find something more suitable, but I don't think that'll happen until I go back to school and get my EE.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #36 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you sound JUST LIKE my boss when i was a stocker at a liquor store the summer before sophomore year.

he was a bitter old crank, too.
tongue.gif

Wow, you can define someone's entire personality from one post huh? That's quite a talent.

As it happens I treat my crew to lunch every day to promote comaraderie.
I love practical jokes, and consider my crew a second family.

My crew repays me by helping to watch the bottom line of my small company. We manage to have fun and get some work done at the same time.

However lately I've noticed an upsetting trend of twenty somethings that think it's their right to get a paycheck without doing any work. The number of twenty somethings living on Mommy and Daddy's dime and expecting to achieve success without putting any effort into it is growing at a staggering rate.
I've had to let go of 4 laborers in the last 3 months, because they show up whenever they get out of bed, and spend the day disrupting the rest of the crew.

Luckily there's still a population of younger people that do have a strong work ethic.

If wanting to turn a small profit makes me a "bitter old crank" then I'm guilty as charged, but walk in my shoes before you try to sum me up in one wholly inaccurate phrase.

Oh and BTW most of my crew have kids to feed at home, and if I don't turn a profit... I don't stay in business. If I don't stay in business, they're out of a job.

Assuming you've risen from liquor store stocker by the time you reach your late forties, It'd be quite interesting to see if your opinions have changed.

Have a nice day.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #38 of 154
The statement that was made was hard to say the least.

I will say that most of this was done my first two weeks in because I had no access and no amount of me showing up to the division in charge of that there made a lick of difference. I show up at 8AM and leave after 5PM and have a tendency to get things done sooner than later.

I KNOW THE 20 somethings you are talking about. In fact, I work with many of them....which is part of why it is hard to keep me working. They almost expect you to finish very little in a day and therefore give you the same amount as everyone else....It beats surfing the net!

If you guys were wondering how long it takes to do them...really only 20-30 min a piece and the nice thing is that they can be done in pieces - so 5 min here and there.

I work in the tech field...so you find yourself waiting on occasion.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #41 of 154
Don't work through lunch, they'll expect it of you if you do it often enough, but then again.. why not do your "art" at lunch time?

I would be pretty mad if I saw one of my team doing this during work hours, there's always something productive to be done.

Bah, humbug etc
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #42 of 154
Great stuff! Who needs a 16 bit camera when you've got colored Post-its!! I could see this going somewhere.....!

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #43 of 154
Great post-it art, G. I'm sure it brings a smile to your co-workers.

Offices can often be a place of drudgery and low-morale. I'm sure something like this brightens the place a little (IT businesses generally like old school gaming references, from what I understand).

I'm not sure if you would get away doing this during down-time if you were fully employed, but I've known offices that have a putting green in the middle of the aisle and are often used as a break during the day to relieve stress. This is at least as "bad" as a putting green in the office.

Nylan

Jul 23, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #44 of 154
Nice job! I miss working with others doing pointless but fun things. It's stuff like this that help moral and can relieve stress. Good for your boss to allow this.

I now telecommute so I'm often alone while working. It's great work but I'm reconsidering my current situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back