My co-worker is a piece of crap
Sep 15, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
"My net worth is over $10,000,000"

Maybe you could pry lose a few dollars and get some good audio equipment with that 10,000,000?

Hey, good suggestion. I suppose I could get some RS-1s and a Raptor, but why spend all that dinero on audio gear when I'd rather divert the funds into other hobbies that interest me more (cars, computers, etc.) Luckily, I'm satisfied with what I have. Besides, I'd be afraid that I'd eventually become an audio snob and lose sight of the fact that I can enjoy music without spending a small fortune.
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
All I can say is watch your back. This type of person will have no qualms screwing you over.

I've worked with plenty of people like this person.

-Ed

I am and I know... I'm doing some major CYA here and I copy my boss on almost everything I send to him as well as check with her on anything I'm not sure on so all my cases are squeeky clean
eggosmile.gif

Sep 15, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #19 of 35
Most of my co-workers are women and I get on well with all of them,the works okay as well

Sep 15, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #22 of 35
I work with a guy who's new to our job, doesn't respect my experience, and treats me like he would his 10 year old. Yesterday he started trying to catch me in a lie, like I was making up what he was supposed to be doing since the boss wasn't there. He actually said "You know I'll ask him when I see him". I got extremely upset and almost left him behind.

Sep 15, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #23 of 35
I work with one other person at a time. Hardly ever the same person twice in one month. There are some guys I haven't worked with in over a year. There are a few that I hope I never work with again. I actually changed my assignment to avoid working with the worst of them. One guy can't take responsibility for his own mistakes. It's always someone else's fault. When your running 6,000 tons or more of freight train, you better know how to be responsible. And you need to know what you are doing. This guy fails on both counts. I don't expect him to last long. He's only been here a year, and he has already been suspended once. He is the type that acts like he has been doing this for many years, and knows everything. These are the most dangerous types in my line of work. I just hope nobody gets killed when he does a major screw up.

Sep 15, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
It seems that you either do work you like and dislike most of the people or dislike the work and like the people. Hard to find a good combo IMO.

I do identity theft and financial crimes investigations and there is only one other guy here that does it and he sucks serious @ss! He is one of those guys that is very protective of his work (doesn't want others to know his job) and makes everything he does way bigger than it is; acts like there are few qualified to do xyz. Anyways we had a disagreement on a fraud case (which was a very small deal) about 2+ weeks ago and he's barley said 2 words to me since.

I've tried to be nice and I don't hold any grudges but I've come to the conclusion that he must be threatened by me or something. In reality he is just a selfish spoiled little girl. What???

Anyone else work with people that really suck?

Sounds like he's got very low self esteem and wants you to be beneath him to boost his feeling of worth. Surround yourself with positive wizards and keep away from the negative wizards who don't have a good word to say about anything or anybody.

Sep 16, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #25 of 35
About 6 months ago I moved from the tech area into management. It's been working great and I think I've been doing a good job. Well guess what? One of the areas we've been lacking in lately is...

TaaDaa!!! The tech area.
rolleyes.gif

Our engineer had a great idea. I could make a lateral move/move back into the tech side to help out there and we would bring in another employee we layed off a year ago back and have a stronger company!

There's just one catch...

I don't want to go back. And they don't understand it. They say it's a good move and the company will benefit. And that's true. But they didn't count on one thing... I like what I'm doing and have no desire to go back. I ended up in a 90 minute fight for my job in my office yesterday with the CFO and the engineer. They literally sat there dumbfounded. They couldn't figure out why in the world I won't cooperate. I used this little scenario...

If you were a dishwasher (and a good one) and worked throughout the company and slowly worked your way up to manager of that restaraunt how would you feel if the owners came up to you and said "Hey... we know you're the best damn dishwasher in the world and we would like you to go back to washing dishes. Your pay will stay the same, but are dishes keep building up and we will benefit greatly if you go back to washing dishes."

Hello? Bueller... hello? Thsi is what they want me to do... and they can't understand my reluctance to do it. At the moment it's me 1, them 0. The CFO wants to let it lie for a couple of days and then discuss it again. The fun begins...

Sep 16, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel Possenti
About 6 months ago I moved from the tech area into management. It's been working great and I think I've been doing a good job. Well guess what? One of the areas we've been lacking in lately is...

TaaDaa!!! The tech area.
rolleyes.gif

Our engineer had a great idea. I could make a lateral move/move back into the tech side to help out there and we would bring in another employee we layed off a year ago back and have a stronger company!

There's just one catch...

I don't want to go back. And they don't understand it. They say it's a good move and the company will benefit. And that's true. But they didn't count on one thing... I like what I'm doing and have no desire to go back. I ended up in a 90 minute fight for my job in my office yesterday with the CFO and the engineer. They literally sat there dumbfounded. They couldn't figure out why in the world I won't cooperate. I used this little scenario...

If you were a dishwasher (and a good one) and worked throughout the company and slowly worked your way up to manager of that restaraunt how would you feel if the owners came up to you and said "Hey... we know you're the best damn dishwasher in the world and we would like you to go back to washing dishes.

Yes, of course I would be confused and feel like I am being punished. But that is what many companies feel they have to do to get employees to work. Punishment. I truly believe that you need to surround yourself with strong people with positive attitudes and teach them the ability to visualize a solution, not necessarily do it themselves. In your field, you've provided a benefit to the company through management. Now they want you to "execute" "tech" instead. Why not do both? I do. The thing to do is to first be the best you can be and train someone else to do the core resposibilities and then manage the effort. That productivity will keep you in management!

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #27 of 35
I have three jobs.

Job number 1: I work in a team with very cool if quite aloof people. Everyone is encouraged to do their own thing but always be thinking. So for example one time I was in the middle of this kind of important meeting with the director general for our department. Anyhow, we had all been working on this project and during the yawn fest I had worked out one of the major hangups we were having but I had to work through it. I just quietly stepped out of the meeting. The DG was furious but my boss totally backed me up saying it was better for the employees to actually do their jobs rather that sit and waste time in meetings. The place is just so laid back and everyone is really cool. I love it. My only qualm with the entire deal is that I am employed as a grad student in a designated grad student position. I get paid 1/5 or less per hour than my colleagues.

Job number 2: I work with this absent minded professor. I'm sure many are familiar with this type, brilliant but lost? Lost may be strong...he is just so busy and has so much on his mind that he sometimes forgets about me. We may schedule a meeting, I have to leave another job or school to get there and he won't show up
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't fault him for it since he is one of the kindest people I have ever come across, plus we work on REALLY cool stuff together.

Job number 3: Meh, dry boring stuff. Folks I work with are very well educated but I swear they all had lobotomies or something because their collective IQ's can't be greater than 6, and I work with 12 people
biggrin.gif

All in all, I get along very well with my fellow employees and/or supervisor/bosses.

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Yes, of course I would be confused and feel like I am being punished. But that is what many companies feel they have to do to get employees to work. Punishment. I truly believe that you need to surround yourself with strong people with positive attitudes and teach them the ability to visualize a solution, not necessarily do it themselves. In your field, you've provided a benefit to the company through management. Now they want you to "execute" "tech" instead. Why not do both? I do. The thing to do is to first be the best you can be and train someone else to do the core resposibilities and then manage the effort. That productivity will keep you in management!

I left out one part...
wink.gif

I do both. I step back into the tech area if things get crazy. I make sure everything is taken care of. Who the hell was there by himself on a Friday night before my vacation taking care of the last job? Me baby, me. I help facilitate anything that is running amok and make sure everyone is taken care of, gets something to eat, and is appreciated. Now they want me to go back full time. It was posed to me as a request. I told them that I wasn't really interested in doing it again. 2 weeks later they decide to sit down and discuss it again. I'm sure they thought it was going to be a discussion. I saw it as a battle and prepared as such. I asked them 2 simple questions.

1) What would be my areas of responsibilities?
2) Will I have a job description outlining specific duties?

They sat there and said "Uh.. we haven't worked that out yet."

Come on! At least I was prepared and was able to counter several of their arguments... to the point of having a few seconds of absolute silence where I could hear crickets.

If you've moved up the chain why would you want to go back? Especially if you're doing well? I know... it's good for the company... blah, blah, blah.

Well then I guess it comes down to what I want. Like Neo said in The Matrix Revolutions... "Choice... the problem is choice." I choose my path... and I can't get excited about the one they want for me. Either that or I feel like Number 6 from The Prisoner television series. He resigned because he was tired of it, they kidnapped him and took him to and island, and refused to believe his simple explanation of "It was a matter of conscious".

”As you adequately put… the problem is choice.”
matrixreloadedarchitect.jpg

Sep 16, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #29 of 35
i Quote:

currently work with someone who is a nice enough guy, but it's like working with an attention starved 10 year old. he is constantly cracking really juvenile "jokes", whistling to himself (high pitched, piercing tuneless whistle) and interrupting work to tell another worthless anectdote about his pointless life. it's gotten to where just about everyone in the lab just ignores him.

Damn bro ! I always thought you enjoyed my lame jokes !
The others I thought were just busy doing their job and never even considered they were ignoring me
eek.gif

Hellova wakeup call and in public no less............

tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
i

Damn bro ! I always thought you enjoyed my lame jokes !
The others I thought were just busy doing their job and never even considered they were ignoring me
eek.gif

Hellova wakeup call and in public no less............
tongue.gif

We'll just get it over with and tell you what we've been hinting at for years.

Rick... you smell... like old cheese. It's beginning to affect our ability to work, and process oxygen.

Signed,
Your reluctant coworkers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back