My cheapo car speakers have surpassed my cans?
Feb 10, 2007 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
Well... this realization makes me LOL a bit. For starters, the car... its got the exact same crappy stereo system it came with. Take my word for it, its horrible. Yet, it trumps a few hundred dollars in headphone equipment?

Well, in one case, yes
tongue.gif
. I can thank Mr. Sage Francis for that. I am a huuuuuuuuuge fan of Sage... I love his music to death. But, my favorite album, Personal Journals, is recorded HORRIBLY. There is lots of distortion in the lower instruments, and there is this odd crackling in many songs. My MS-2's are to revealing for it... I can't tolerate it. My 580's seem to be better, but I have to keep the volume down or it drives me crazy.

However, my car... the stereo is so bad, it actually sounds better. Everything just sounds like mush... which means I cannot make out any annoying crackling. I can turn up Sage and rock out.

That's it... I suppose. It sucks. I wish I could make it sound not to bad on my PC, because this is one of my favorite albums ever.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 10
Just find some way to record your speakers playing it poorly and then play it through the headphones.
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdelayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just find some way to record your speakers playing it poorly and then play it through the headphones.
wink.gif

Oh... how ironic that would be
tongue.gif

My salvation seems to have come in my A700's. They are by far my least favorite cans for music, but in this case, they seem to work well. They are less detailed... which makes the cracklies harder to catch. As far as the distorted bass, that also seems to be tamed a bit. I don't know if it has something to do with them being closed... but its a bit better.

Feb 10, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Growing up in a microscopic town prepared me well for this petrii dish
Where talk is invisible to the eye and they hate the guy they’re speaking with.
I’m a real vegetarian: No chicken…not even fish.
I’m a real underground rapper: My tape quality sucks, my records are warped and my CD skips.

Sage Francis's debut is more lo-fi than compressed, as I recall. It is more or less an indie rap release and quite genius. I'm pretty sure the old school clips are samples of himself from a very young age. It's an incredible release, content-wise, and definitely the most depressing rap album I've ever heard (which says something, considering the genre).

Get a better source. I'm always amazed at how much better albums get, even poorly recorded or sourced, when you upgrade the source.

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen to better CDs.

Not gunna happen. I have developed a sort of addiction to Personal Journals. Last week, I had 139 plays scrobbled in Last.FM, and I am sure I will pass that this week... and as well the CD has been in my car stereo for about two weeks straight.

I hate rap... but I absolutely love Sage Francis.

Feb 11, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 10
theres usually like 70+ db of ambient noise in a car, you should get a boombox and play like ocean sounds at full volume while your wearng your open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back