My CD buying methods have changed.
Jun 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Punnisher

Headphoneus Supremus
After becoming more and more concerned with audio quality and the preservation of it, my CD buying strategies have changed dramatically. I am also a fan of music from the 1950's to the present, so that brings some important elements to the table in terms of formats, sound quality and mastering/remastering.

A disturbing trend has emerged that is nothing new, however I am only now beginning to understand the gravity of it.

Everywhere you look there are great sounding albums, supposedly remastered. Why? An example is Steely Dan. A look through amazon shows many "original recording remastered" labels. I find this disturbing, for these guys have been on the leading edge of sound quality for a long, long time. It all sounds fantastic. Why the need for every single album to undergo multiple remasters?

I'm not saying that every album doesn't need it, as there are exceptions. Some albums were initially very poor but have been remastered and improved. That's absolutely fine.

What really grinds my gears though, are unnecessary remasters coupled with "bonus material". A couple examples are Frank Sinatra and the Doors. It's some of my favorite music but has undergone so much remastering and re-re-releasing. So many people are fooled into handing over their money mindlessly, all the while sound quality is probably suffering. I'm sick of it.

Nowadays, if an album is old enough to have multiple versions, I am hesitant to buy from amazon. You never really know what version you're getting. Many times I have tried to order an original-master Rush album, only to be given a Rush Remasters version. Not that there's anything wrong with these remasters, but you just can never be sure what you're getting.

I have decided to get my used CDs from local music stores, where I can inspect and verify that they are the original versions. So far I have had great success, finding Dire Straits, the Doors, and other CDs from the early 90's or late 80's. All sound great.

What are your thoughts on all this? Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here but It's just something I've been passionate about lately.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided to get my used CDs from local music stores, where I can inspect and verify that they are the original versions...It's just something I've been passionate about lately.

It's always good to listen before you buy and this is my main attraction to used music stores. Curious if you bring in your own cans? I always forget and wish I had. Happy hunting because jewels are waiting to be found.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 7
I have not been that picky yet, but perhaps in the future when I am even more disgruntled and snobbish.
dt880smile.png

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have decided to get my used CDs from local music stores, where I can inspect and verify that they are the original versions. So far I have had great success, finding Dire Straits, the Doors, and other CDs from the early 90's or late 80's. All sound great.

What are your thoughts on all this? Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here but It's just something I've been passionate about lately.

That's pretty much the same as what I've been doing for a couple of years now. There are a few good used music stores locally, however, I've also had a lot of success at swapmeets, flea markets, pawn shops, garage sales, thrift shops, junk stores, and the like.

Prices are way down, too. I've been finding lots of CDs for $3 or less. It seems like people rip their music, dump the physical discs and resale is terrible because of downloading. It's really good for bargain hunters.

Funny thing is this is how it used to be for vinyl. There are still lots of great vinyl bargains around (especially classical discs), however, it's sort of trendy to have a turntable so a lot of vinyl has been picked through for the best examples and collectors hunt rare discs. Which is all good - I love that vinyl is being appreciated again and that the good discs are going to good homes.

However, quality vinyl availability is going down while prices go up. True bargain seekers should be hunting digital today. There are lots and lots of pre-Loudness War discs out there on the cheap. I'll still be devoted to vinyl, but most of my recent hunting has been for older, high-quality digital. I don't know if they'll appreciate like vinyl, but for $3 and great sound, who cares?

Also, prices for OOP SACD have been skyrocketing. Some of the rarer discs are going for $100+ on eBay right now. If you come across reasonably priced SACDs, they're probably a safe bet. I've been snapping up fairly priced ones.

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 7
About our only hope now is old cds that aren't in demand anymore.

I have been having a hard time locating cheap, good vinyl. One place nearby sells nice sounding vinyl but it can be expensive, you'll pay at least $10 for any given album.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #7 of 7
I occasionally order from amazon and always get the right version of whatever I am ordering. I guess I am just lucky.

Most of my CD's are bought at local used record stores. My favorite is Amoeba in Hollywood. It's a treasure trove!

For vinyl - I go everywhere. Thrift stores, yard sales, estate sales, record stores, swap meets, etc. Over the past 2 years it has been difficult to find good vinyl but I occasionally find a good one here or there. I picked up a mint copy of "This Is Sinatra!" for $18 at a record store the other day. Two days later I found some great rock vinyl for a under $5.

The real bargain is CD's. As Uncle Erik mentioned - you can pick up most CD's for under $3. A real bargain if you know what to look for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back